Re-gear question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Re-gear question

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 05-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
DNS711
2007 JK Wrangler 

Re-gear question

A friend and I will be re-gearing my 2007 JKU in the near future. We will also be trussing the rear axle and swapping the Detroit locker for an ARB, because we are installing 35 spline chromoly axle shafts.

Can we re-gear the rear one day and the front a few days later as long as I don't engage 4WD? If the answer is no, would pulling the front driveshaft make a difference?

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS711 View Post
...Can we re-gear the rear one day and the front a few days later as long as I don't engage 4WD? If the answer is no, would pulling the front driveshaft make a difference?
Yes, just don't engage 4wd. If you may accidently shift to 4wd then remove the front driveshaft, but if you won't go into 4wd then you can leave it on.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

You can, and I did this exact same thing. I left the front shaft out just to be safe. You never know what can happen...and chewed T-Case, diffs, axles or any combination of the three is something worth avoiding.
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just a word of advise,

Allow plenty of time to re-gear and don't rush through it. I spent most of a week doing my rear axle though I had never done it before. Here we are about 30k miles later and all is still working great.
My axle build is pretty much identical to yours
You can read about it in the thread listed below which includes links to the information resources I used during the project.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.