Rattling tail gate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rattling tail gate

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
greenhammer

Rattling tail gate

what is the most effective method of stopping this annoying tail gate rattle? have 35" spare tire mounted on tail gate - have adjusted hinges and striker - gate closes and latches great.

greenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
ncb

It's a balance between cost and quality with tire carriers. I have the Teraflex hinge and adjustable mount and it's solid. You'll have to choose from all the different products.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

The OEM carrier and tailgate isn't designed to hold a 35" spare day in and day out. That is your problem and what is causing the rattling. Get an aftermarket tire carrier before it is too late and you cause irreversible damage like popping welds.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKR8R View Post
The OEM carrier and tailgate isn't designed to hold a 35" spare day in and day out. That is your problem and what is causing the rattling. Get an aftermarket tire carrier before it is too late and you cause irreversible damage like popping welds.

-Dan
New carrier set up or even something like the exogate (which I dunno if they make it for JKs or not to be honest). Either you are the way to messing things up.
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

My tailgate doesn't rattle-

I adjusted the tailgate alignment ramp (below the latch) and did this-

First, as said the 35" tire is just TOO BIG/HEAVY for your stock tailgate-

Second, my little 5/8" carriage bolt is like a rubber bumpstop, except it eliminates abrupt "downforce" that the spare experiences from bumps/potholes/ledge drops-etc-

The tire slides over the round bolt end and it provides an "upforce" to the tire--simple/effective-

It has worked for over 4 years/w no rattle or hinge trauma !

You also have to have effective bumpstops on the tailgate also-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.