Rancho Rock Gear Oil Pan Skid Plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Rancho Rock Gear Oil Pan Skid Plate

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-12-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
CreepJeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rancho Rock Gear Oil Pan Skid Plate

the one that goes on with silicone.
has anyone been using it?
what are your thoughts/comments?

http://www.gorancho.com/rockgear/oilpan.php

07' Rubicon Flame Red.- Zone 2" lift with shocks.XRC8 winch. Rough country winch mount.Hellas on windshield. Sierra rack on spare tire with hi-lift mounted to it. Rock Ready grab handles front and rear.Skid row front skid. 33" MTG'S (mtz clones)
CreepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

i dont like that skid... ur best to go with a Engine/oil/Trans skid.. from skidrow.. and its only 4 bolts.. very easy install...

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
BiGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

not a fan - it looks like good dent protection, but it could still get hung up.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks a little cheap ... doesnt even bolt on ...
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
alpinistaustin1
2007 JK Wrangler 

My 2 cents...

Yes, that will provide puncture resistance. But, my fear would be if you landed on your oil pan, enough to put a whole lot of weight on it. All that weight is still being supported by the engine mounts which could mess up a whole lot more than your mounts. If you go with more of a "true skid plate", one that is mounted to fame rails and/or cross members, now all that weight is being supported by the frame (possible impact weight if you drop your rig onto the pan). I could still see major damage being done with that "stick-on" skid plate.
alpinistaustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

CreepJeep - So far, from the pictures Iíve seen where people damaged their oil pan they scrape it near the back end of the pan by the drain plug. I got one solely for that type of potential problem. Since itís just adding armor to the oil pan it has better ďclearanceĒ that a skid plate (a skid plate would hit before the armor), and itís pretty light in comparison to a skid plate.

I completely agree that if you flop down on a rock it will not provide much in the way of protection, but then again I think itís pretty hard to flop down right on the oil pan - scrape it, yes; flop on it, not easy (but possible) to do. If you are concerned about dropping down and landing your oil pan on a rock then get a skid plate. If you are only concerned about scraping the pan then this may the product for you.

Iíve had it on for over a year. It hasnít ďloosened upĒ at all. I havenít hit it yet either.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

I got it.... its a nice price for what I needed. I have beat it, its still there. I have a few small dents, some scrapes, ect.
Unread 02-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
CreepJeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks

thanks for all the replies.
the next check I get tomorrow I will have the money for the next three
mods.

rock hard 4x4 cage kit.
rancho oil pan skid.
evap skid.

this is my daily driver and I only really go on the 3 diamond trails for the highest
(1 to 5) out at superlift in Hot Springs. although,I've been know to hit a certain few level 4 and 5 obsticales, if I have an exit if I fail.
so, it's not like I go really hardcore.
07' Rubicon Flame Red.- Zone 2" lift with shocks.XRC8 winch. Rough country winch mount.Hellas on windshield. Sierra rack on spare tire with hi-lift mounted to it. Rock Ready grab handles front and rear.Skid row front skid. 33" MTG'S (mtz clones)
CreepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.