Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Radio won't turn on?

103K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  cranbiz 
#1 ·
2007 JK, Sahara

After work, started the car up and no radio. No clock, no display, no volume... dead as dead could be.

So I checked the fuses; M10 and M13 I think (that's the clock one). All good.

Then I tried to look up to see if the antenna cable came undone... 25 degrees outside, dark and not in the mood plus it's hard as hell to see up to the radio.

So... before I go spend some money with my repair guy to pull it apart - thought I'd check with my amigo's first... SUGGESTIONS????

thank you in advance!:D

#2 ·
Mine did the same thing a couple years ago. It was non functional for one or two start-ups, then it returned to normal. Hasn't done it since.

Try disconnecting the battery negative terminal for a few minutes. That seems to correct a lot of strange behaviors.

#5 ·
Okay everyone... great suggestion. Unplugged the negative... let it sit while i had dinner, plugged it back in and wa-la... works like a champ (although I have to reprogram all my stations again!).

Thanks for the hot tip!

#6 ·
Okay everyone... great suggestion. Unplugged the negative... let it sit while i had dinner, plugged it back in and wa-la... works like a champ (although I have to reprogram all my stations again!).

Thanks for the hot tip!
Strange. I've had my battery disconnected all day before, and only had to reset the clock. The stations were still there.

#15 ·
I had a similar problem with mine once, there is a couple of buttons on the radio that you can reset it without having to unplug the battery.

For the life of me I can't find the thread with the info though.
Had this happen to me twice since 08, first time radio was back the next time I started it, 2nd time was just this week, mashed random buttons with mild frustration and it did turn back on all of a sudden and was working 100% as if nothing ever went wrong. :tinfoil:

#8 ·
Mine did this the other day also
I just turned it off and let it set a few minutes and it came back on...........hope it doesn't happen again

#10 ·
I have a similar issue with my 1999 Sport- it has an aftermarket Pioneer radio
a couple of us were working on my puppy changing the cat and dealing with the O2 sensor so we did a number of connect & disconnect the neg battery terminal
the radio "died" after the last go round (stayed dead) after I had left my lights on & needed a jump

I pulled out the manuals & checked the fuses both for are they the right amps (yes) are they good (yes)
also checked the fuse in the back of the radio that was fine too- is there an in line fuse I may be missing

I got mt '99 Sport 4L Straight 6 Used so I am still learning it's quirks (sure is more fun to drive than my GMC Safari was)

help would be appreciated

#11 ·
So im new to the jeep famely got a JK rubicon and had the same problem sterio was black.
Called my bro who has a 96 and he said he had the same problem with his. He said to jiggle the key and his comes on, I laughed of course.
I jiggled my key and yep the radio came on. Hmmmmmm 20 years later?

#12 ·
This morning my 2010 Commander radio went dark and quiet, clock was dark too. I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and waited 20mins. That didnt work as radio was still inop. I pulled the fuses #27 and #28,they are together in a black casing in the fuse box under the hood. Fuses were good. After reinstalling the fuses, my radio is working and so is my clock. I am so happy!!
Thank you so much for helping me out again Jeep Forum!!!
:)

#14 ·
Dead radio after service

Just got my 2008 Grand Cherokee back from having transfer case replaced, and the RER was totally dead. Lifted fuses 27 and 28 in the Integrated Power Module (the black box under the hood, driver's side, the one towards the front (these fuses are together in a holder thingy) and then plugged them back in, and it did indeed fix it.

I also had to reprogram my auto-up on my driver and passenger windows, which I've had to do before after having the battery disconnected. Easy to do, you just hold the window in the up position a couple of seconds after it reaches full up, and that resets it.

#18 ·
Putting a fuse in backwards is no different.
Unless you hold your tongue to the right when you plug it in. Then it becomes a resistor. Left makes it a diode.
lol
The "majic" happened when the fuse was pulled... removed power to the board and thus forced a reset.

#20 ·
ok, I had this same issue and found this post. So I just went out to my Jeep and tried the key jiggle routine, and nothing would work. I was thinking, ugh, ok, I'll go disconnect the power at the battery and give it a bit, but first, I just kinda mashed the buttons at the top of the radio, eject and the row across the top and boom, it turned on. File that one under another strange *** fix, that may or may not work, to this stupid problem that doesn't really seem to actually exist. :confused:

#21 ·
2011 Jeep radio not working after batt disconnect

I have one word for you. GENIUS!!!! I checked the fuses myself asked a few guys what they thought it might be and yesterday took it into a shop for a quick look see. This morning I went out after reading your post, and disconnected the neg again, left it unhooked for a few minutes, hooked it up and my radio is working. God bless you and thank you so much.

#22 ·
I bought a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple weeks ago. And the radio hasn’t worked since I bought it. The fuses are fine, I have unplugged the battery a few times. I even tried hitting it a couple times to see if anything could be knocked back into place. Nothing. My cigarette lighter works, and even tried buying a new fuse. Any suggestions. Could really use the help, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.