which radio on an ordered Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > which radio on an ordered Jeep

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

which radio on an ordered Jeep

I'm ready to go order a 2014. Pretty much know just what I want but cannot tell from either edmunds.com or jeep.com which radio I want.

I'm not an audiophile. I simply want a radio BUT do want an external input for digital.

Which oem radio is that?

Also, if there is an aftermarket that is just a radio w/ digital input that 'blows away' the stock option, what is that?

Thanks,

John

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

i greatly enjoy my 430n radio with alpine speakers. Nav is nice, i honestly like it better then the nav I had in my bmw. Whatever you end up getting, make sure you specify the bluetooth option, I didn't realize I had to get a seperate option for that and now I dont have it and its a $350 part from jeep + labor to put it in.

If you are buying a regular sport you can't get these as an option IIRC. Pioneer sells a good aftermarket touch screen option with external inputs and even the option for bluetooth phone calls and music streaming. Not much either, probably alot cheaper then the factory option. One I saw goes for about $350-400 on sonicelectronix.com
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

don't want nav and don't need bluetooth.

just want an am/fm w/ the ability to plug in an aux, digital device.

I'd imagine the oem radio that can do those 3 things would work fine for me, just cannot tell which one that is.

Thanks,

John
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

The 130 (RES) will do the job just fine. It should have both an analog aux port and USB support. The 430N and 730N are a ripoff given their cost and the antiquated technology they come with.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
The 130 (RES) will do the job just fine. It should have both an analog aux port and USB support. The 430N and 730N are a ripoff given their cost and the antiquated technology they come with.
Thanks, that is what I thought [about the 430n and 730n] reading through threads.

I appreciate the info.

John
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
CharlieHustle
2013 JK Wrangler 

I ordered mine with the Alpine Premium Audio System ($395 upgrade) it has the aux input and comes with the subwoofer if the back. Sounds really good too!
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

I use the cheap radio, with Bluetooth connect for handsfree, and streaming audio from my droid, worth it in my opinion.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
Breitling
2013 JK Wrangler 

I don't have fancy Alpine speakers but I do have bluetooth, which is very helpful for audio streaming from iphone. regular sound system is horrible and if you like to listen good quality music you would need to upgrade it.
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

How does the ordering of the blue tooth option work? I don't see it at edmunds.com or jeep.com when I do a build. Is it available with any radio? How much does it cost at the time of ordering? I can see how using it rather than a physical input would have its advantages.
Unread 08-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
How does the ordering of the blue tooth option work? I don't see it at edmunds.com or jeep.com when I do a build. Is it available with any radio? How much does it cost at the time of ordering? I can see how using it rather than a physical input would have its advantages.
I'm not positive but I think it's part of the Connectivity Group. You get a few other things as well. Option is maybe a few hundred dollars? I hope someone else that knows for sure can chime in here.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

connectivity option, under $400
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
AEVBrute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
I would not buy the Jeep without it. 430 is a POS, 730 with nav traffic, ability to have reverse camera, watch a dvd while driving, find a hospital or gas or a place to eat, how many miles to destination, what road you are currently on, store music on the hard drive so you dont have to buy cd's?

if you use nav would you rather have a garmin plunged to the window for a kid to break the window and steal, take it down every time you park and have cords wrapped around the shifter and use the cigarette lighter that you cell phone is plugged in to?

I have owned severeal chrysler products and what keeps me coming back are the features that the 730 has, it is much more than a nav.

connectivity group is buttons on the steering wheel for a bluetooth and a usb in the console.
AEVBrute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEVBrute View Post
I would not buy the Jeep without it. 430 is a POS, 730 with nav traffic, ability to have reverse camera, watch a dvd while driving, find a hospital or gas or a place to eat, how many miles to destination, what road you are currently on, store music on the hard drive so you dont have to buy cd's?
The hard drive is useless considering you can buy a 32GB USB stick for $15 at any office supply store, plug it into the center console, and have better accessibility to your music (USB retains folder structure where as the HD just dumps everything into one).

The navigation is slow and clunky, maps are expensive to update, the UI is extremely dated, and voice commands are awful. The 730N doesn't even let you call tracks by name (you have to call a track number and even then you're limited to just the first 250 songs). The low-resolution screen was satisfactory in 2007. In 2013, it's kinda sad.

The extremely limited information it sends to the EVIC is also a wasted opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEVBrute View Post
if you use nav would you rather have a garmin plunged to the window for a kid to break the window and steal, take it down every time you park and have cords wrapped around the shifter and use the cigarette lighter that you cell phone is plugged in to?
Not at all. Just get an aftermarket system that'll still cost less than the $1,800 price tag of the 730N. My cellphone from four years ago had a better navigation and music entertainment system than these units offer today.

I'm not saying the 730N doesn't have some usefulness, but it's not worth almost two grand. Not even close.
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #14
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the 730 and I like it, but don't love it. Yes you can buy much better aftermarket units for less. Yes you could buy a portable garmin and get better maps easier updated.

But, having previously had cars broken into, just to steal the cheapest aftermarket units.... I wanted a clean factory unit that doesn't draw attention. Even when I'd go out with no doors or top I didn't worry about it. I like that its integrated into everything else. It's nice they in heavily wooded areas it still tracks well. The voice command stuff sucks, but the maps and turn by turn directions work well.

So yeah I don't know. I'd love a sweet aftermarket unit but I'm not a kid and having someone break in to rip out the stereo just sucks.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #15
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

430n works for me! I've never had Garmin let me down, and everything works well and is easy to get to
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.