Radio not as loud when top is off - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Radio not as loud when top is off

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #31
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
It's those old school David Clark passive headsets the old guys use.

Well that and refusal to wear ear protection on the flight line.

My hearing is still very good with a few thousand hours but I'm younger, and I use a lightspeed ANR head set that is waaaaay quieter than my David Clark set that I now keep as a spare.

Anywho I may may have to jump that wire one day and experiment. My factory hard top is gone and an Ursa Minor top replaced it (without wiring). I've felt like the radio is quieter at the same numerical value than it was before.
Yep used them from the late 90s on the fire engine.Still score high on hearing test in the booth with the tones,ahh maybe its good genes.Not

maybe its good genes

Unread 06-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #32
mello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto
Jumper between the purple wire and the black wire.
Is the wire violet with white strip because my 2011 has no solid purple wire. For those wondering I did study wiring diagram and there is can bus communication between rear wiper motor, amp, and radio.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #33
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello

Is the wire violet with white strip because my 2011 has no solid purple wire. For those wondering I did study wiring diagram and there is can bus communication between rear wiper motor, amp, and radio.
Yes that's the one violet with white tracer.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #34
TheLazyC
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
That's some crazy Jeep BS. I'm pushing 40 so my days of rocking out are over. Must save my hearing and working in aviation doesn't help.
I'm at 51, you must have gotten older then I did, cause I still crank it up. And when I get on my Harley you can hear my amp and four speaker above the mufflers long before you see me!

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited [/B][/COLOR]
Freedom Edition Oscar Mike Package
3" BDS Suspension Lift
Mickey Thompson 17"x9" Classic Lock Black wheels
Mickey Thompson 35X12.50R17LT Baja ATZ Radial
Mopar Running Boards
Mastercraft Sport Handles
Rugged Ridge A-Pillar POD
KC HiLite SlimLime-Driving
AEV PROCAL
TheLazyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #35
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazyC

I'm at 51, you must have gotten older then I did, cause I still crank it up. And when I get on my Harley you can hear my amp and four speaker above the mufflers long before you see me!
I'm still a kid at heart. The ringing in my ears drives me crazy. Hot rods, drag racing, guns and car audio competition=ringing ears.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazyC View Post
lol - I am at 51 and the ONLY way I can even tell A song is playing let alone WHAT song is playing is to crank it. Unless I have my hearing aids on which I don't do driving. And the tinitus? (ringing) - KILLER. Drives me nuts.

My loss is 70% genetic (granddad and mom went deaf by 60) and 30% sound damage from hours running an engine room (or maybe sticking my head in the drivers at my friends gigs wasn't such a great idea) - even with plugs, baffles and headphones - just the vibration to the jaw bone can cause damage in environments over 140 decibels... in fact on the Sydney Bridge Walk they use special radio headsets that do not go in the ear - they set on the bone in front, the vibration is transferred through the bone to the main nerve bypassing the ear drum altogether (the only way they can communicate to the group in the extreme wind noise). I could hear crystal clear with NO hearing aids at all! Still waiting on that technology to become available in a supplemental assist device...
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #37
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I'm sooo making a jumper wire tonight. I was convinced my system was a ton quieter but I was wondering if I was going crazy

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #38
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I'm sooo making a jumper wire tonight. I was convinced my system was a ton quieter but I was wondering if I was going crazy
Isn't the Jeep thing proof enough that we're all crazy...?
And havent' your last two Avatars been cute little animals with explosions nearby? I think you may want to explore the crazy option a little more!
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #39
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Such an odd thing to engineer into a jeep...so all that is needed is a piece of wire completed a circuit between violet and black?
Dumpsterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #40
smanno
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismo61 View Post
I just unplugged mine and plugged back in several times(no engine running).Mine is louder UNplugged.This a 2013 hardtop with the 430 radio.The bass is noticeably louder.If my ears arent lying this to me would make more sense because with the soft top there would be more noise to over come.
I found the same results with my 2013 hardtop only JK. Seems louder unplugged and a lot more bass.
smanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #41
mpdlawdog
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thought this was a joke...not any more

Ok I thought this was a joke...tried this last night..mine is an 07 unlimited saraha with the sub and with the dual top option..I drove it with and without the jumper last night....definitely made a difference with it jumped!
mpdlawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #42
ncb

JL Audio has a free app with a SPL meter and RTA. I'll try the jumper and test it with the app.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #43
jepen
2010 JK Wrangler 

This is awesome, I'm definitely going to try this on my 2010. I had a feeling the sound wasn't too great after the hardtop came off, but couldn't figure it out. I've been trying to fix it by downloading an amplifier app on my phone.
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #44
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdlawdog View Post
Ok I thought this was a joke...
I didnít know what to believe either but it seems it must be true. Just doesnít make much sense to me why/who came up with that idea.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #45
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thought it was common knowledge. Was the first thing I did when I got my 08 unlimited home and put the softtop on back in may 08.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.