Radio not as loud when top is off - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Radio not as loud when top is off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Huh, I never really noticed, I'm always turning up the stereo to overcome wind noise anyways so I hadn't noticed it being quieter!

AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Best thread of Jeep Forum ever!

Seriously. I never knew. I thought this was a jk parody thread. Crazy cool.

I have the dual top group so I will do a field experiment tomorrow.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

This doesn’t make any sense to me. I would like to see some proof of this instead of just word of mouth. How about a link to where this info came from; would love to see for myself?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #19
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

If this thread is still going on in the late fall when I put the hardtop back on, I'll do a sound test.
I have a db meter that I used to calibrate my surround sound system in the house when I first got the speakers.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #20
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
This doesn’t make any sense to me. I would like to see some proof of this instead of just word of mouth. How about a link to where this info came from; would love to see for myself?
Gonna have to go all the way back to the 07 08 threads .. I've had the jumper in mine since 08.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #21
fordhearter
2013 JK Wrangler 

I found these two links about the jumper wire for hard tops, but thats it. Anyone know how to do this on a soft top only Jeep. I read in the second link that there is no harness for the soft top only models which sucks because they also talk about speed sensitive volume and saying that this trick might work if you had the harness. My 13' Wrangler has the speed sensitive volume in it for sure, and there is no way to turn it off. I have searched and found nothing else and asked the dealer about it and they don't know anything about it or how to disable it. Gonna go look for the harness, maybe Chrysler stuck it in there anyway.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/aud...al-150208.html
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62194
fordhearter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #22
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordhearter
I found these two links about the jumper wire for hard tops, but thats it. Anyone know how to do this on a soft top only Jeep. I read in the second link that there is no harness for the soft top only models which sucks because they also talk about speed sensitive volume and saying that this trick might work if you had the harness. My 13' Wrangler has the speed sensitive volume in it for sure, and there is no way to turn it off. I have searched and found nothing else and asked the dealer about it and they don't know anything about it or how to disable it. Gonna go look for the harness, maybe Chrysler stuck it in there anyway.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/aud...al-150208.html
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62194
Unfortunately that has been the issue. If you don't have the hardtop harness I am not aware of any way to bypass.
Perhaps if you can find where the hardtop harness connects you may be able to jump it from there. But I believe that circuit would also have to be activated by a reflash from the dealer.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsther View Post
If this thread is still going on in the late fall when I put the hardtop back on, I'll do a sound test.
I have a db meter that I used to calibrate my surround sound system in the house when I first got the speakers.
Just do it now by wiring the harness up as pictured above.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #24
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Mines broken. I unplugged and replugged the harness several times - no difference in volume.

Does the radio have to be on?
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #25
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Unread 06-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #26
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just unplugged mine and plugged back in several times(no engine running).Mine is louder UNplugged.This a 2013 hardtop with the 430 radio.The bass is noticeably louder.If my ears arent lying this to me would make more sense because with the soft top there would be more noise to over come.
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #27
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Unread 06-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
bgoptmst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
That's some crazy Jeep BS. I'm pushing 40 so my days of rocking out are over. Must save my hearing and working in aviation doesn't help.
I'm in the same boat. My wife is always telling me the radio is too loud and I am always telling her a couple thousand flight hours are the reason.
bgoptmst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoptmst

I'm in the same boat. My wife is always telling me the radio is too loud and I am always telling her a couple thousand flight hours are the reason.
It's those old school David Clark passive headsets the old guys use.

Well that and refusal to wear ear protection on the flight line.

My hearing is still very good with a few thousand hours but I'm younger, and I use a lightspeed ANR head set that is waaaaay quieter than my David Clark set that I now keep as a spare.

Anywho I may may have to jump that wire one day and experiment. My factory hard top is gone and an Ursa Minor top replaced it (without wiring). I've felt like the radio is quieter at the same numerical value than it was before.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #30
bgoptmst

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw

It's those old school David Clark passive headsets the old guys use.

Well that and refusal to wear ear protection on the flight line.

My hearing is still very good with a few thousand hours but I'm younger, and I use a lightspeed ANR head set that is waaaaay quieter than my David Clark set that I now keep as a spare.

Anywho I may may have to jump that wire one day and experiment. My factory hard top is gone and an Ursa Minor top replaced it (without wiring). I've felt like the radio is quieter at the same numerical value than it was before.
Honestly my last jeep was a 95 with a bikini top so I have no real comparison. My new Jeep isn't as quiet as my truck was, but is so much better than what I was used to it seems amazing.

As for the headsets ... Yeah, the new stuff is amazing. I did most of my flying with old style DCs or flight helmets. The molded ear plugs and such are about 6-7 years too late to help me.
bgoptmst is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.