Radio not as loud when top is off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Radio not as loud when top is off

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
REPPO
2013 JK Wrangler 

Radio not as loud when top is off

Somewhere there was a forum regarding this topic and someone had a solution (hack) to make the system louder when the hardtop is off. Something like a fuse stuck somewhere. Anyone know this hack or the link to the original post.

REPPO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Jumper between the purple wire and the black wire.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

So how does this even happen? Chrysler spent the money to have someone engineer the system to detect whether the rear wiper was plugged in and change the audio output? How does that make any sense? What about soft top-only JKs? Are they always on the lower volume setting?
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, apparently the softtop only models are permanently quieter then the hardtop models. I have no idea why they even bothered to engineer this in. I can only speculate that with the top off one would tend to have the volume and bass much higher on a regular bases which they fear may blow speakers or sub if full power is permitted.
Anyone that wants mega power just puts all new aftermarket equipment in.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
meatbag187
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think it has to do with the laws some places about how many decibels your stereo produces, and how far away it can be heard from.
meatbag187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
REPPO
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
Jumper between the purple wire and the black wire.
Very cool. Has anyone made a permanent jump for this yet? What size fuse? 10A?
REPPO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
ncb

Is this a joke? You can take the top off any JK and be loud. Why would a soft top model from the factory have a detuned stereo?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

When did this supposedly start?
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Right from 07 on. The power from the amp is reduced as soon as you unplug the hardtop.
A 10amp mini fuse was used. You just have to twist the spade ends to fit in the plug. I just use a wire jumper.
Factory softtop only units don't have the factory hardtop harness to be able to jump the connection.
And yes it does work. And yes again, a dumb idea by Chrysler and no one seems to know why.
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
ncb

That's some crazy Jeep BS. I'm pushing 40 so my days of rocking out are over. Must save my hearing and working in aviation doesn't help.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Hmm, weird. Never noticed an issue with mine
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Right from 07 on. The power from the amp is reduced as soon as you unplug the hardtop.
A 10amp mini fuse was used. You just have to twist the spade ends to fit in the plug. I just use a wire jumper.
Factory softtop only units don't have the factory hardtop harness to be able to jump the connection.
And yes it does work. And yes again, a dumb idea by Chrysler and no one seems to know why.
do you have a pic?
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here ya go.
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Here ya go.
thanks...

just to make sure, that is the plug that remains in the Jeep when the top is removed?
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid

thanks...

just to make sure, that is the plug that remains in the Jeep when the top is removed?
Yes it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.