Quick question re: RC 2.5" lift kit #656 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Quick question re: RC 2.5" lift kit #656

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
kicker0927
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quick question re: RC 2.5" lift kit #656

Ordered the 656 kit today to use with stock wheels on a daily driver Rubi Unlimited. I got to reading about the RC 2.5" lift Series 2? Is it really going to be a noticeable difference to get the Series 2 or will I be just fine with the 656? Thanks!

kicker0927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
bountyhunter
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Without looking it up, I think the series 2 just includes the trackbar relocation bracket and maybe sway bar links? I just walked in the door from installing the same lift you ordered and I do not have any issues where I would need the track bar bracket. Install took 3 hours from the time UPS pulled in the driveway to opening my shop door to test drive. Easy install but had one concern. The front brake line relocation bracket didn't not work very good. The line was in the best position in the stock location, so I left it there. The rear brake line brackets were used though. I'll post before and after pics tomorrow in the daylight.

A big help is to go to O'Riellys and rent their spring compressor. I did my TJ lift without it and was a pain in the butt.

Also Rough Country shorted me the 1/4" x 1" bolt for the brake line brackets. Luckily had a friend who had some in his work truck as I am 20 miles from any store that is open.
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Not really, they are both crappy cheap lifts. I hear they do have a great warrantee though.
Unread 12-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
bountyhunter
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman
Not really, they are both crappy cheap lifts. I hear they do have a great warrantee though.
They are the same lift minus a couple parts. Not sure what qualifies a crappy spacer lift, but as far as this type of lift goes this is a good lift. Maybe you don't understand the difference between full lifts and spacers, or did not take the time to look up what the OP was asking about. I will assume the later as its not too difficult to comprehend.

RC uses steel for their spacers as opposed to poly for some other brands. Would I suggest RC's spring/shock lift? No, but for spacers these are the best value for the money.
Unread 12-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

I did not say anything about spacers. "crappy spacer lift"? I understand the differences in the two kind of lifts the op is talking about.

The 656 kit is a simple budget boost with relocation brackets for the shocks and brake lines. The series 2 is just longer coils and shocks with no other parts. The rough county shocks tend to ride rough and are prone to leaking and yes I have seen this first hand on several jeeps. Their coils are know to sag bad with age if any weight is added to the jeep like heavier bumpers, armor, or a winch.

Neither of those kits even address extending the sway bar links up front. Nor do they add anything for bump stop extension if the op is indeed looking to install bigger tires and still run the factory flares. No caster correction or sway bar adjustment. I will admit it will be slight but is is there.

Why even include shock or brake line extension brackets if you are not going to lengthen the sway bar links? This is just asking for trouble if taking the jeep off road and full drooping the axle by taking the risk of the sway bar flipping forward and locking up the steering.

RC puts out cheap incomplete lifts and that is why I call them crappy. People only buy their lifts is because of the cheap price point and end up spending quite a bit more to complete the set up. Most would be better off buying a more complete better quality lift in the first place.
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
bountyhunter
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman
I did not say anything about spacers. "crappy spacer lift"? I understand the differences in the two kind of lifts the op is talking about.

Neither of those kits even address extending the sway bar links up front. Nor do they add anything for bump stop extension if the op is indeed looking to install bigger tires and still run the factory flares. No caster correction or sway bar adjustment. I will admit it will be slight but is is there.

Why even include shock or brake line extension brackets if you are not going to lengthen the sway bar links? This is just asking for trouble if taking the jeep off road and full drooping the axle by taking the risk of the sway bar flipping forward and locking up the steering.

RC puts out cheap incomplete lifts and that is why I call them crappy. People only buy their lifts is because of the cheap price point and end up spending quite a bit more to complete the set up. Most would be better off buying a more complete better quality lift in the first place.
You are correct if OP plans to wheel in his machine, the concerns you bring up should be addressed. I installed mine on my wife's JKU and it will never be offroaded, but rather a mall crawler. When wheeling we will use my TJ with the OME lift.
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

If just driving around the mall why is a lift required in the first place? To make it handle worse and harder to get in? If it is for bigger tires, 35" tires will fit a jk with just proper back spaced wheels or wheel spacers with some simple bump stop extensions. Now the OME is a quality lift company, it is hard to beat the ride quality you get from their coils and shocks.
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

To many basic components missing in these RC kits. The TeraFlex BB is more complete then the RC 2.5" lift.
Rear trackbar relocation bracket is a must, extended swaybar links are also important and if you want to flex those 35s extended bumpstops are a must.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
bountyhunter
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
If just driving around the mall why is a lift required in the first place? To make it handle worse and harder to get in? If it is for bigger tires, 35" tires will fit a jk with just proper back spaced wheels or wheel spacers with some simple bump stop extensions. Now the OME is a quality lift company, it is hard to beat the ride quality you get from their coils and shocks.
Looks dirtman, it's all about the looks. . Put the Safari Straps top and OFE tube doors with a little lift will be the tits. Not going to go to 35's though, it's still her DD, so probably do 285 75 17s max for the street use.

We have traveled way off topic OP, sorry. If you plan to light wheel it you should be ok. I wouldnt take it deep into the Rockies however.
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
kicker0927
2013 JK Wrangler 

After further research, I will be returning the RC kit. Still not sure what to get into though. Currently looking at Teraflex. I'm thinking I'm going to keep my stock shocks and do the TF coil 2.5 lift kit. Any opinions? And yes, it would be a dd with light wheeling. I live in Ohio....so not a whole lot of heavy wheeling to be had daily here.
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker0927 View Post
After further research, I will be returning the RC kit. Still not sure what to get into though. Currently looking at Teraflex. I'm thinking I'm going to keep my stock shocks and do the TF coil 2.5 lift kit. Any opinions? And yes, it would be a dd with light wheeling. I live in Ohio....so not a whole lot of heavy wheeling to be had daily here.
If you are gonna keep the stock shocks for now, get the shock extensions.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
aubreysanchez
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just put the Rough Country 2.5" Spacer lift w/35's. I do not off road either, but it is worth it to make it look a little bigger.
img_2369.jpg   img_2254.jpg  
aubreysanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
kicker0927
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreysanchez
I just put the Rough Country 2.5" Spacer lift w/35's. I do not off road either, but it is worth it to make it look a little bigger.
Is that pic of ur garage or did you park ur rig in your living room?????

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.