Questions about homemade hardtop hoist - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions about homemade hardtop hoist

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
BadHammers
2013 JK Wrangler 

Questions about homemade hardtop hoist

*EDIT* Forgot an important point, this is for a 4-door unlimited.

I'm in the R&D process for my homemade hardtop hoist. I've found a perfect spot in my attic to support a hoist connected to a steel rod that is tied down to the top of 4 rafters.

I'm wanting to support it similar to 08BlueSahara's setup:
Thread: Hard Top Hoists, or Lifts. - JeepForum.com

Pics from thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BlueSahara

Now for my 3 questions:

1) If I go with the 440 or 880lb electric hoist from harbor freight, does anyone know how wide the hoist is? Trying to figure out if it will fit between my rafters.

and

2) If I buy a rope hoist instead, I've found one that says it has a 7:1 reduction. Does this mean that the force on the end of the rope would be 20lb if my top weighs say 140lb?

and

3) Can I use straps going from left rear to right corner in front of side window, and a strap from right rear to left corner in front of side window and hoist the top from where the straps cross (in the middle laterally and middle of the side windows longitudinally)? The top is heavier in the back, & I don't want it to fall off or otherwise get damaged from improper lifting.

Thanks for the input!

BadHammers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm confused about your description of running the straps but I think you can work with it to figure out what's best. I don't see the top getting damaged if secured properly. The damage would occur if the top fell while you weren't there and smashed to the ground because the straps failed. I like this setup and will be doing the same type install in about a month...
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
BadHammers
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJK09 View Post
I'm confused about your description of running the straps
To be honest, I'm confused as well.

I'm basically wanting to set up the straps so that they cross each other in an "X" shape underneath and above the top, and then use the intersection of the "X" to connect the hook on the hoist.

Now that I've got you thoroughly confused, I think I can manipulate it enough to keep the thing from falling down.

Unread 04-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
BadHammers
2013 JK Wrangler 

OK. I bought the electric hoist and it works great.

I'm still not satisfied with any way I've tried to route the straps.

How do you guys connect your top to your hoist cable? I think I've got to come up with something other than straps possibly?
Unread 04-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Now I understand what you mean. Man it is SOOO simple, don't overthink it. I have a friend that just has 2 eye bolts in the rafters of his garage with just 2 tie down straps hanging and he suspends his unlimited hardtop from it. He said it workd great and is easy to remove and put back by himself. You've got a hoist so you are already lightyears ahead. Just play around with it and you will find the best method for your application and creative style. Good luck..
Unread 04-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
BadHammers
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJK09 View Post
Just play around with it and you will find the best method for your application and creative style.
That's what she said.

My solution was to cut 2X4's to 72" and install eye bolts 3" from each end. I've wrapped the boards with towels temporarily, but will cover them with carpet when I find some used carpet somewhere.

I unbolt the top, lift the rear of it with my shoulder, and slide the 2X4 between the top & rear fender. Use a tie strap from eye bolt to eye bolt up and over the top nice & snug, but not too tight.

Then, I lay the front 2X4 over the roll bars above the front seats. Lift the top up and slide the 2X4 back to the rear edge of the back doors. Tie strap from eye bolt to eye bolt up and over the top nice & snug, but not too tight.

Those two parts of the process secures the top so the 2X4's will not slide out from under the top. I don't want to drop / damage the top... it looks expen$ive.

I have a third set of straps, looped on each end, that I feed the ratcheting straps through. The trick is to use the entire length of the front looped strap, and then run the second looped strap through the rearward end of the first one, and the rear ratcheting strap runs through both ends of the rear looped strap. The whole thing lifts perfectly from the union of the looped straps.

Wow that's confusing to read. I'll take pics when the weather calms down.

I'm not leaving the thing suspended from the hoist. I don't like the pressure the straps put on the top. Will build a shelf to transfer the top to... this will let me go up in the attic and secure the shelf system to the rafters... that puppy won't go anywhere when its all said & done.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.