Questions about first lift to 2012 JK Unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Questions about first lift to 2012 JK Unlimited

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Questions about first lift to 2012 JK Unlimited

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum thing so hopefully all gets posted correctly.. I'm not new to Wranglers but am new to modifications. At this time, I would like to lift my 2012 JK but am unsure what kind of lift would be best. I've researched body lifts, suspension upgrades, spacers, leveling kits, etc. and I have just found myself more confused honestly.

My intentions are minimal - I'm not looking to go huge or do any real serious wheeling. This is my daily driver so I don't want to compromise functionality on the road. I have thought about taking the Jeep to a shop for install but the more I've researched it appears that I can do pretty much any lift in my minimally equipped garage. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Travis.

switters88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Why do you want to lift it? Unless you are looking to increase tire size, the JK looks funny lifted with small wheels/tires...let us know why and then we can help with the best approach, ie. spacers or spring lift, etc...For the best results as a DD, and little or no wheeling, then IMNSHO, leave it stock.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Welcome Travis! I will just go ahead and tell you, bc if I don't everyone else will, to fill out your profile, so we know what you have. Is yours a Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon? Is it an Auto or Manual?

If I were you, I would go with a BB, leveling kit, or a 2" lift. With the proper tools and space, you can do the lift yourself. I had a 2.5" lift, but then I went to a 4". But my intentions are obviously different than yours. What other mods are you planning, if any?

Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

And you can find some more FAQs and info here.
Unread 12-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Why do you want to lift it? Unless you are looking to increase tire size, the JK looks funny lifted with small wheels/tires...let us know why and then we can help with the best approach, ie. spacers or spring lift, etc...For the best results as a DD, and little or no wheeling, then IMNSHO, leave it stock.

I'm mainly looking to up my tire size and throw on some nice rims. I also want the capabilities to tackle some decent mountains in the future but nothing too crazy right now.
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle View Post
Welcome Travis! I will just go ahead and tell you, bc if I don't everyone else will, to fill out your profile, so we know what you have. Is yours a Sport, Sahara, or Rubicon? Is it an Auto or Manual?

If I were you, I would go with a BB, leveling kit, or a 2" lift. With the proper tools and space, you can do the lift yourself. I had a 2.5" lift, but then I went to a 4". But my intentions are obviously different than yours. What other mods are you planning, if any?

I have a 6 speed Sport. I did consider the BB but wasn't sure what else would be involved with that. 2" sounds good but what tire size would be the best. Could I run 33's? or would i have to look at replacing the stock flares?

And sorry again, I'm really new to modifications of this nature.
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88 View Post
I have a 6 speed Sport. I did consider the BB but wasn't sure what else would be involved with that. 2" sounds good but what tire size would be the best. Could I run 33's? or would i have to look at replacing the stock flares?

And sorry again, I'm really new to modifications of this nature.
No need to apologize, this is where I learned a lot and others learn too. I encourage you to read as much as you can and not just here. Find something that you like or that you want to do and research the **** out of it. Find the pros and cons.

I had a 2.5" lift with flat fenders and ran 37s. I did rub with the stock wheels and spacers. The stock tires that come with a Rubicon are 32" tires.

Look at a 2-2.5" lift and 35s. With the correct setup, you won't rub.

Check out the FAQs here. There is a lot of info about lifts with tire sizes and wheels.

What is your budget for a lift, wheels, and tires? Do you want to do it all at once?
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No need to apologize, this is where I learned a lot and others learn too. I encourage you to read as much as you can and not just here. Find something that you like or that you want to do and research the **** out of it. Find the pros and cons.

I had a 2.5" lift with flat fenders and ran 37s. I did rub with the stock wheels and spacers. The stock tires that come with a Rubicon are 32" tires.

Look at a 2-2.5" lift and 35s. With the correct setup, you won't rub.

Check out the FAQs here. There is a lot of info about lifts with tire sizes and wheels.

What is your budget for a lift, wheels, and tires? Do you want to do it all at once?
I was looking to do it all at once so I know it will be on the higher end. For the total package I was looking at not exceeding $2k. I would be good with 35's but was worried the kids would have issues getting in and out. Maybe i'll just invest in a couple step stools!
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88 View Post
I was looking to do it all at once so I know it will be on the higher end. For the total package I was looking at not exceeding $2k. I would be good with 35's but was worried the kids would have issues getting in and out. Maybe i'll just invest in a couple step stools!
IMHO, it will be hard to do it right and get a lift, wheels, and tires under $2k. Have you priced or decided on wheels or tires?

Unread 12-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

You can easily spend 1200-1500 on TIRES. Tires, rims and lift for $2k isn't going to happen.

You could go with good 33s, do a level instead of a lift and rims for that kind of money.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

IMHO, it will be hard to do it right and get a lift, wheels, and tires under $2k. Have you priced or decided on wheels or tires?

Pricing tires and wheels today. Maybe it would be best to just get the leveling. Any suggestions and is it DIY?
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
Unread 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
You can easily spend 1200-1500 on TIRES. Tires, rims and lift for $2k isn't going to happen.

You could go with good 33s, do a level instead of a lift and rims for that kind of money.
That's a great idea. How about a BB?
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
Unread 12-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

A BB is pretty cheap. With the 33s, you don't really need a lift, though. If I remember, the leveling kits give you around an inch of lift on the back axle and 2 inches on the front. That's plenty to fit 33's, 35's if you cut the fenders or install flats.

If I were starting over from scratch, I'd do a leveling kit, 33 inch Duratracs and either paint the factory wheels or put on some pitbulls/soft 8s for rims. The whole thing would set you back around 1800 bucks and you'd have a very capable rig for everything other than serious rock climbing.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
switters88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
A BB is pretty cheap. With the 33s, you don't really need a lift, though. If I remember, the leveling kits give you around an inch of lift on the back axle and 2 inches on the front. That's plenty to fit 33's, 35's if you cut the fenders or install flats.

If I were starting over from scratch, I'd do a leveling kit, 33 inch Duratracs and either paint the factory wheels or put on some pitbulls/soft 8s for rims. The whole thing would set you back around 1800 bucks and you'd have a very capable rig for everything other than serious rock climbing.
I think I'll start with the 33s and go from there. Thanks! I love this forum.
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
Unread 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

33 will work fine on stock suspension, id do a leveling kit though too, will get rid of that front rake, cheap and you could do it yourself with ease. for a dd, check out falken wild peaks. great all terrain, and great off road too. right now im running black rock rims with 4" back spacing, great 15" rim for the jk. remember any questions just ask, thats what the forum is for.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.