Question for those that have ordered and own a 2012-2013 JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Question for those that have ordered and own a 2012-2013 JK

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Question for those that have ordered and own a 2012-2013 JK

What I want to know is, is there anything that you wish you would have ordered, or that you did order and wish you hadn't.

I'm getting ready to order a 2014 Rubicon and am debating whether or not to order the max tow package or not, as well as the 430N or 730N package.

Thanks!

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nope, I researched and thought for quite a bit and I'm happy with everything I got. I do wish they would of thrown in some grab handles like I see they did for other people.
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Make sure to order 4.10 gears. I have the 430N and would get it again. I have a love hate relationship with all built in Nav units. I hate that my passenger cannot make changes while I'm driving. I love the Garmin standalone units that allow this. But with the 430 I don't have to worry about it being stolen. What are plans for mods if any, will you wheel it?

I personally don't like the stock trailer hitch and would go with an after market bumper integrated receiver. If I was really going to tow I'd also go with a 7-pin connector and brake controller, stock is just a 4 pin no brake controller.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

I also don't like factory hitches. They hang too low.

This is going to be an expedition vehicle. Probably shooting for Metal Cloak Overlands and 35's. Would also like to install the GenRight dual tank.

I'm ordering a 6 speed so 4.10 is standard.
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you are ordering a 4 door Rubicon, DO NOT order Max Tow. It is a total rip-off. $395 for just the hitch and harness (no upgraded axle ratio) is a joke.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

I was trying to research this, and I saw a lot of information claiming that the tow package also came with stiffer springs. Is this true?
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't think so. I do not have tow package and my springs were 18/59.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

I got a Jeep that was very slightly different than my original plans and I'm very happy with it. I originally didn't want Nav but I got the 430N and I'm quite happy with it (other than the cd player design, which I think is absolutely terrible!!!). I originally wanted the dual tops, but that wasn't available so I just got the hard top. That worked out great in the end as I could justify getting the Off Road Heros top I wanted!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
I'm getting ready to order a 2014 Rubicon and am debating whether or not to order the max tow package or not, as well as the 430N or 730N package.
Whatever you do, do NOT get the 730N. It's an $1,800 POS. You're better off getting the basic, cheap stock radio and having an audio shop swap it out and install an aftermarket unit for you (and you'll still save money).
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
pauljbrennan
2013 JK Wrangler 

!!
pauljbrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #11
pauljbrennan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Bull !
pauljbrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #12
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the 730 and like it for what it is. Though its very overpriced. Like someone else mentioned, a stock stereo is WAY less likely to be stolen than an aftermarket nav units. I've had cars broken into for $200 pioneer basic head units.
So the 730 has decent navigation, blue tooth, streaming capability, on board hard drive, xm radio/wx/traffic if you need it. The nav tracks very well in heavily forested areas. It sucks at saving waypoints or customizing routes and addresses can't be input while moving unless you get a mygig lock pick.
Audio quality in general isn't great but it's ok for most.
Most importantly I don't sweat about leaving it parked at a trail head and coming back to the dash ripped apart for it!

Oh and call me a sissy but in winter I like the heated seats and mirrors. Lol
I have an aftermarket camper top and no rear defroster so it's nice to get the ice and snow melted off of the side mirrors. After snowboarding all day the heated seats are nice too. Also nice for cold mornings without a top. Women love the heated seats too for what it's worth...
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
fireron

I've had both, 430N and 730N. Greatly prefer the 430N and would not get the 730N even if it was free. I currently have two Jeeps with the 430N and both have been trouble -free compared to the 730N.
fireron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
Whatever you do, do NOT get the 730N. It's an $1,800 POS. You're better off getting the basic, cheap stock radio and having an audio shop swap it out and install an aftermarket unit for you (and you'll still save money).
Sounds good to me. I did think it was rather expensive being almost the same as the 430N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
I have the 730 and like it for what it is. Though its very overpriced. Like someone else mentioned, a stock stereo is WAY less likely to be stolen than an aftermarket nav units. I've had cars broken into for $200 pioneer basic head units.
So the 730 has decent navigation, blue tooth, streaming capability, on board hard drive, xm radio/wx/traffic if you need it. The nav tracks very well in heavily forested areas. It sucks at saving waypoints or customizing routes and addresses can't be input while moving unless you get a mygig lock pick.
Audio quality in general isn't great but it's ok for most.
Most importantly I don't sweat about leaving it parked at a trail head and coming back to the dash ripped apart for it!

Oh and call me a sissy but in winter I like the heated seats and mirrors. Lol
I have an aftermarket camper top and no rear defroster so it's nice to get the ice and snow melted off of the side mirrors. After snowboarding all day the heated seats are nice too. Also nice for cold mornings without a top. Women love the heated seats too for what it's worth...
Those heated seats would be nice for cold nights with no top.
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
I was trying to research this, and I saw a lot of information claiming that the tow package also came with stiffer springs. Is this true?
The springs are pretty much a running joke on the JK's. No one is really sure how they set up the coils. If you want stiffer springs, get a 4 door with a hard top. The tow package does not seem to matter.

I didn't order the tow package and I got 16's up front, but stiff 59's in the rear on my 4 door Sahara with hard a hard top.

I passed on both the 430N and 730N. I ordered the base 130 with Connectivity, then snatched a 430rbz (non-nav) off of ebay for cheap. If you get the right model, it is a direct plug and play swap. Takes 20 minutes.

And yes, heated seats and mirrors rule. Well, the Jeep heated seats kinda blow....but they are better than nothing. Mine don't work when it has been sitting outside and it is really cold out. (Below 18 degrees or so). It is like there is some false safe switch that won't allow them to turn on until the interior is a certain temp. If you try to turn them on before that, they won't work until you cycle the ignition. Gotta get that checked out.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.