Question Regarding Shock Install and Handling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Question Regarding Shock Install and Handling

Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 12-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
avinator

Question Regarding Shock Install and Handling

Hey All,

Just did an install of some Bilstein 5100's and wanted to know how tight the front, top mounts need to be. I tightened them a good bit but they have some hefty bushings and I was basically just compressing them more and more. Should they be tightened until I cannot turn the nut anymore or just till snug?

Also, I had a basic Rusty's Offroad 3 1/4in lift. Springs, shocks, sway disconnect, etc. I replaced the Rusty's shocks with the Bilsteins (but left the Rusty's springs in place) and also added a Smittybilt SRC front bumper with a Rough Country winch. The handling is now very different. There is a lot more body roll and the handling is not nearly as good. I am guessing the additional weight of the bumper and winch coupled with the Rustys springs being soft is causing this. Any recommendations on some good progressive springs that will handle the weight of the bumper and winch and will go with the Billys?

Your guys input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

avinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

This is an old line, but worth repeating IMO. I am not sure how you would torque down the front shock bushings, but I did mine using the German specs...."gutentight" until the rubber bushing is tight and not loose...sorry not much help other than that. For the other, I would look at OME HD spring set or TF with the Bilsteins you have...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
avinator

Thanks much for the input. On the tightening, that's basically what I did, get it snug but not to the point where the bushing looked smashed down.
avinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

You'll hear different things. AEV instructions say to compress the bushings 1/8".
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

yahhh, gutentight would be about 1/8 inchers...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.