Question and opinion on lift options. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Question and opinion on lift options.

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 10-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Question and opinion on lift options.

I have a 2011 Rubi and I just bought a house so my spending capabilities have been stunned for a good while. I've had it since April and want to keep it stock no longer. Since I need to keep spending to a minimum I have made a partial decision on a lift and want someones opinion.

I have narrowed it down to 2 lifts. AEV 2.0 spacer lift. Or Teraflex 2.5 Performance budget boost.

And if I choose Teraflex, it gives me the option of buying the kit that includes the Teraflex 9550 shocks. Is it worth replacing the shocks? Or will the stock red rubi shocks still offer the same performance/flex I can expect when I disconnect the sway bar.

Tires will stay stock until tread indicates otherwise. Then I will invest in 33's. I wheel frequently in WV. Nothing crazy yet. I am aware that irresponsible wheeling with a short lift will equate to damages. I will get a more superior lift, 35's, and gears when funds become available. For now this will have to do.

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Unread 10-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Anytime you lift, you need to match shocks to the lift, either with new, longer shocks, or brackets that lower the shock mount...to not do this risks destruction of the stock shock as it is not long enough when you are fully articulated down at the wheel (esp if you have your sway bar disconnected).
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hmm.... What is your budget for tires and the lift? Both budget lifts you mentioned are good. I have the TF spring lift with the 9550 shocks and they are really nice. My opinion is they you should wheel the stock rubi and save for a spring lift from aev, TF, OME, RK, etc. the bug bit me hard in the beginning but I kept saving until I could afford the next step. Now I am almost close to what I want...except now I want bumpers and a winch and a lot more. Best thing really to do is dump the house and put all the extra money in the jeep
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
Best thing really to do is dump the house and put all the extra money in the jeep
Ha good call just live with the in-laws and mod my Jeep. But really..

Like I said. Tires will stay factory Mud Terrain BFG until tread indicates upgrade. So no new tires until about next year. The Teraflex Budget boost with shocks would be around 600 including shipping so that would be ideal.

the bug got me and I feel like I should do something to cure the itch. At least for a little while.
Unread 10-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Anytime you lift, you need to match shocks to the lift, either with new, longer shocks, or brackets that lower the shock mount...to not do this risks destruction of the stock shock as it is not long enough when you are fully articulated down at the wheel (esp if you have your sway bar disconnected).
Thanks for the input. I will take this into consideration.
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverhide34

Ha good call just live with the in-laws and mod my Jeep. But really..

Teraflex Budget boost with shocks would be around 600 including shipping so that would be ideal.
700-800 can get you the TF Spring lift with Shocks. Jason at krawl offroad or Dave at north ridge 4x4 can hook you up. There are a few other good lifts in this range, you doing the install yourself? That can save coin as well.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
700-800 can get you the TF Spring lift with Shocks. Jason at krawl offroad or Dave at north ridge 4x4 can hook you up. There are a few other good lifts in this range, you doing the install yourself? That can save coin as well.
Good catch and thanks. I'll be going with this. For spring lifts I had the 3.5 AEV NTH Degree but it's a pretty penny. I will be doing the work although I have never done lift kits, however I have done a Daystar leveling kid on a Ram so at least I know what it looks like.
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Good catch and thanks. I'll be going with this. For spring lifts I had the 3.5 AEV NTH Degree but it's a pretty penny. I will be doing the work although I have never done lift kits, however I have done a Daystar leveling kid on a Ram so at least I know what it looks like.
TF is fairly easy. And you can do 35s when you're ready. Let me know if you need help. I was in the same boat as you a few months back and even ran the stock 32s for a while. Local jeep clubs can probably also give you a hand wrenching. Details in my sig if you want to see pics. I'm running 34s and can tackle some pretty hard trails.
My Build Thread:
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

That's an awesome build thread in your signature. Made up my mind with the 2.5 in spring lift. I would like to go with the 3 in but might as well save a couple hundred more for the AEV 3.5. Dammit... Now I'm in another predicament. Teraflex 3 in or AEV 3.5. My mind just wonders for miles.
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Throw in the Rock Krawler 3.5" mid-arm flex kit to your search too. $1200 for lift plus cost of shocks....puts it right in line with the 3.5 AEV lift.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That's an awesome build thread in your signature. Made up my mind with the 2.5 in spring lift. I would like to go with the 3 in but might as well save a couple hundred more for the AEV 3.5. Dammit... Now I'm in another predicament. Teraflex 3 in or AEV 3.5. My mind just wonders for miles.
Yah I was hours away from getting the rock krawler 2.5 until I was given an offer I couldn't refuse on the teraflex kit. 3.5 is a lot in my opinion
My Build Thread:
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Will look into it. So many options...
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yah I was hours away from getting the rock krawler 2.5 until I was given an offer I couldn't refuse on the teraflex kit. 3.5 is a lot in my opinion
This is true. If you go 3.5" you will eventually need to upgrade your driveshafts. A 2.5" coil spring kit is a great option, and very capable compared to stock.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

2.5 it is then. Thanks guys, you've all been real helpful. Seems I'll give rock krawler a look. If not then teraflex will be my next investment.
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
2.5 it is then. Thanks guys, you've all been real helpful. Seems I'll give rock krawler a look. If not then teraflex will be my next investment.
Awesome keep us updated!
My Build Thread:

Tags
aev , lift , teraflex

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.