Question on brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Question on brakes

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

Question on brakes

Ok here's my question if I'm going up a steep grade and have to come to a stop I press the brake pedal then if I hit the brake pedal again its like they stick almost like it prevents the jeep from rolling back and the pedal gets stiffer the more times I press and let off the brake pedal and press the gas pedal is this normal like a feature to prevent the jeep from rolling backwards or do I have a problem never noticed this before

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

insaneinline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinline View Post
Ok here's my question if I'm going up a steep grade and have to come to a stop I press the brake pedal then if I hit the brake pedal again its like they stick almost like it prevents the jeep from rolling back and the pedal gets stiffer the more times I press and let off the brake pedal and press the gas pedal is this normal like a feature to prevent the jeep from rolling backwards or do I have a problem never noticed this before

Sounds like Hill Start Assist, but nothing in your post or your profile says you have a JK.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sorry about that yes I do have a jk with hill assist and I was wondering if that's what it may be

Unread 08-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yep, I tested out my Hill Start Assist today... LOVING the Jeep... Far better than my OffRoad Xterra!
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

Great that's one nice feature to have especially in pa

Unread 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to use mine in the streets of Downtown Seattle today. Some STEEP streets there!
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #7
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

As far as the brake pedal getting stiffer, this happens on just about every vehicle.

This is what is happening:

Two things are going on in this initial step.

1. By design the pistons in the calipers are made to pull back slightly into their bores when the brake pedal is released (this keeps the pads from resting directly on the rotors).

2. The rotors themselves are not 100% true and/or the hub does not run 100% true (talking about very minimal runout here and it is completely normal). This little bit of runout, though not felt by you, is enough to cause the rotors to bump into the pads which causes the pistons to be pushed just a little further into their bores.

Overall, between the two, the brake pads stand off from the rotors by a very small fraction of an inch while just driving down the road.

When you initially press the pedal to stop the pads have to travel this empty space before they hit the rotors and it is that short distance of empty space travel that you perceive as a soft pedal.

During a normal stop, where you have the initial pedal press and then let off and press the pedal again in relatively quick succession, the first two actions above don't have time to occur and the pads are kept right against the rotors so there is no empty space travel and the pedal feels harder on these subsequent pedal presses.

Hope this makes sense.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtone1583 View Post
As far as the brake pedal getting stiffer, this happens on just about every vehicle.

This is what is happening:

Two things are going on in this initial step.

1. By design the pistons in the calipers are made to pull back slightly into their bores when the brake pedal is released (this keeps the pads from resting directly on the rotors).

2. The rotors themselves are not 100% true and/or the hub does not run 100% true (talking about very minimal runout here and it is completely normal). This little bit of runout, though not felt by you, is enough to cause the rotors to bump into the pads which causes the pistons to be pushed just a little further into their bores.

Overall, between the two, the brake pads stand off from the rotors by a very small fraction of an inch while just driving down the road.

When you initially press the pedal to stop the pads have to travel this empty space before they hit the rotors and it is that short distance of empty space travel that you perceive as a soft pedal.

During a normal stop, where you have the initial pedal press and then let off and press the pedal again in relatively quick succession, the first two actions above don't have time to occur and the pads are kept right against the rotors so there is no empty space travel and the pedal feels harder on these subsequent pedal presses.

Hope this makes sense.
I understand #2, but can you elaborate on the design feature in #1 that makes the piston pull back a little when the pedal is released?
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

#2 is basically a suction effect from the hydraulic system that retracts the pads, thus they dont ride all the time wearing them.

am i right?
Unread 09-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
#2 is basically a suction effect from the hydraulic system that retracts the pads, thus they dont ride all the time wearing them.

am i right?
#2 describes the pads/piston being pushed back by the little bit of run-out.
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post

am i right?
This is correct as it applies to #1.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #12
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

I thought it was the hill start assist when I started the thread but I wanted to make sure I never knew exactly what it was

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.