question about rear plastic coverings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > question about rear plastic coverings

Clayton Off Road WJ Skid Plate TestingIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 11-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

question about rear plastic coverings

I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of what it looks like behind all that plastic in the back of the Jeep.

I want to put a 12 plug back there and not sure how those panels come off and what the wire routing might be like.

Has anyone put a 12V outlet in the back ?

Pictures and how you did it please.

Thanx in advance.

Unread 11-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

What plastic area exactly are you talking about?
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

all that stuff in the back on the sides cargo area. My TJ/YJ/CJ use to be mettle back there. Its now all covered in black plastic.
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
manike
2012 JK Wrangler 

In my JKU it was very easy to remove and work behind and then replace.

Do you have a two door or four door?

With the four door you remove the tops where the seat belts go through then take the smaller sections off the back. Then you remove the hidden bolt under there, remove the bolts at the bottom with the tie downs, and then just pull it away. There were two body snaps on each side that had to release.

Watch the side with wires if you have a sub/power outlet and disconnect it at the top corner (grey connector) before you pull on the panel.

Took me minutes to strip it all out on mine.

Then you peel the carpet down and add wires along the current harness with zip ties.

I added a back up camera wiring and cb aerial cable far more easily than I thought
manike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanx. I have the 2 door no sub.
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Here are some terrible pictures that probably won't help much. I was specifically trying to get shots of how the plastic reattached, so there aren't any wider angles. Stupid on my part. All pics are the driver's side.

Top of the...area, with the seat belt retractor.

Looking at the inner side of the area, looking towards the back (tailgate is open, you can see the driveway).

Same spot, different angle.

This is on the passenger side, behind the roll bar and seat belt retractor, because I wanted a pic of that plug. I don't know what it is.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
manike
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's the plug I connect to for the sub and power outlet in mine.
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manike View Post
That's the plug I connect to for the sub and power outlet in mine.
So you connected your 12v outlet to that?
How can i get the female connector to match that plug?
That would be way simpler than running a wire all the way to the front.

Also stupid question. Do we need all that plastic?
Seems like extra weight and places for sand dirt to collect etc.

I wonder if someone took it all out and how bad/good it looks without all the plastic.

How did you mount the plug? What location did you find works good and has enough room to put it in etc.
Looks like a fair amount of room with insulation you could remove a little hole in that and mount it.
Unread 11-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
manike
2012 JK Wrangler 

My Sahara already has a 12v outlet and a sub. The plug is pretty low down on the passenger side of the plastic. The cable for them connects to that grey connector in the corner. You can't buy the cable separately as it is part of the full harness apparently (I wanted to as I had a bad connection on the back of the 12v power outlet). I ended up just fixing the wire on mine.

You could probably order a connector from your dealer or a pickers yard. You can order the 12v power outlet and plug to it from them (I did as I replaced both on mine).

The plastic covers a lot of painted metal, the seat belt mechanisms and some wiring harness in the corner/back edge on mine. I think it looks better with the plastic than it did without it, but you may feel differently.
Unread 11-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

So you say yours came with a plug from the factory. Have any pictures you can share.
Maybe there is a knockout on mine. I'll have to have a look and see. I would like to keep it all factory but the cost of that maybe high.
I was planning on getting a weather proof outlet from Pep Boys for like 12$ and putting that in. I want to tie to the factory wiring as was shown. I bet mine has that plug too. probably for rear defrost and sub etc.
Unread 11-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrnglr92 View Post
I want to tie to the factory wiring as was shown. I bet mine has that plug too. probably for rear defrost and sub etc.
The rear defrost on my 08 2-dr is on the drivers side.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
manike
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
The rear defrost on my 08 2-dr is on the drivers side.
Yep, mine too. That's on the other side. The passenger side has the harness for the rear tail gate system, rear lights, and sub and 12v power as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrnglr92 View Post
So you say yours came with a plug from the factory. Have any pictures you can share.
Maybe there is a knockout on mine. I'll have to have a look and see. I would like to keep it all factory but the cost of that maybe high.
I was planning on getting a weather proof outlet from Pep Boys for like 12$ and putting that in. I want to tie to the factory wiring as was shown. I bet mine has that plug too. probably for rear defrost and sub etc.
Took some pics for you It's tough getting them to come out with a black on black jeep though so hopefully they still help.

That plug on mine ONLY goes to the sub and power outlet.

It's behind the plastic on the top right in this image.

There are three pieces that come off, top left where the belt goes through pops up. Then there is a piece behind that spring clips out.

Then the main big piece. IIRC, bolt at the top that is exposed once the back piece is removed, and then the tie down bolts at the bottom. Then it is held in place with clips on the body studs.

The OEM replacement parts that I bought were not badly priced at all and I was happy they were OEM and my rebuild looks perfectly stock.

You can probably get the wire harness you need from a breakers yard.
12vpoweroutlet1.jpg   12vpoweroutlet2.jpg  
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

thanx for the pictures. Mine looks a bit diff as I dont have the sub. But I am guessing the wiring is still there.
Unread 11-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
manike
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would bet the plug for the harness is there. They will have just one main harness and then plug in for the options depending on the build.
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

well i just called the dlr and spoke to parts $15.70 for the part my price is $12. I get a discount. So I ordered it from them. Comes with the plug etc.

Also they told me to move fuse 49 to the right as its a place holder.
Now to look into the plastic removal. They will have the part Friday.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.