Quadratec Rear Seat Floor Mat Problems when Doorless - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Quadratec Rear Seat Floor Mat Problems when Doorless

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quadratec Rear Seat Floor Mat Problems when Doorless

My wife bought me the Quadratec back seat floor mat for my JKU for Christmas. I've had it in since and love it. Although now that it is warming up, when the doors come off, the thing like flips up like crazy on the sides and looks like it is going to fly out of the Jeep when driving about 45mph+. It hasn't ever flown out, but I fear a good strong gust of a crosswind could potentially dislodge it from around the seat support bars and off it would go.

Has anyone had this same issue and found a good remedy? I think if I just tacked down the right and left outer most part, it would fix it. I've thought about velcro or even bolting it to the tub but wanted to see if anyone else out there has found a better solution before I go off and do something. Thanks.

ciphershort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

My front passenger OE mat does the same thing. I usually just throw something down there to hold it down. Velcro sounds like a good idea though.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

I may give velcro a try. I just might have to figure out a way to get the other half to stick to the carpet.
Unread 04-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Quadratec
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about this. Every single floor liner I've ever run has done this, even the fronts like to flap a little bit if the conditions are right. I have passed this on to my design team. Maybe they can incorporate some anchor for them to help with the flapping. Thanks for the information & have a great night!

-Rick

We Price Match, PM me for a quote

Online Hours: 9am-5pm EST Monday - Friday

Jeep Parts | Jeep Wheels | Jeep Tires | Jeep Lift Kits | Jeep Bumpers | Jeep Soft Tops
Quadratec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm not at home so I can't check, but could it be something as simple as a small tab of velcro on the bottom of the mats to grab the carpet? I'm not sure if velcro will grab it or not.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
thewolverine
2011 JK Wrangler 

Simulate boat carpeting

I have actually thought a lot about this and plan on doing something in my JK that my boat has...snap in and out carpeting. I plan to take a rear seat catch all mat and figure out how to attache snaps.
thewolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ironic that the only thing that DOESN'T stick to the factory carpet is the floor mats...

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratec View Post
Sorry to hear about this. Every single floor liner I've ever run has done this, even the fronts like to flap a little bit if the conditions are right. I have passed this on to my design team. Maybe they can incorporate some anchor for them to help with the flapping. Thanks for the information & have a great night!

-Rick
Thanks for the response. It seems like since the mat is a single piece that if it was made a bit wider, it could actually be pressed in at the sides under the tub overhang piece that holds the carpet in (crude description I know but I have no idea what that is actually called haha)...just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Ironic that the only thing that DOESN'T stick to the factory carpet is the floor mats...

Hoss
How true! I let my dog back there once and have not ever been able to get all of his hair out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolverine View Post
I have actually thought a lot about this and plan on doing something in my JK that my boat has...snap in and out carpeting. I plan to take a rear seat catch all mat and figure out how to attache snaps.
Now snaps would be a much better idea. I've never dealt with putting snaps on things. Do you have to have a special tool for that or is it just two pieces that snap together on both sides of the material for each part of the snap?
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just a quick YouTube search on snaps lead me to this video. He's using it on leather but it should theoretically work the same on the rubber floor mats.

Unread 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphershort View Post
Now snaps would be a much better idea. I've never dealt with putting snaps on things. Do you have to have a special tool for that or is it just two pieces that snap together on both sides of the material for each part of the snap?
Yes but dont cheap out. The light weight ones wont crimp the center pin over enough and they will come out.Heavy duty set. And the hammer and punch method takes a boat load of practice til you get the amount of hammer "just right" (too much splits the center pin - too little leaves it loose and will come apart later...)

Also making the hole is important. Use a hole punch like this: Punch.

Velcro WOULD work but bonding it woiuld be a pain - but to simplify - mask an area on the carpet just a bit smaller (1/4 inch all around) than the velcro tape. Use carpet shears to trim all the knap all the way down to the backing of the oem carpet. Spray masked in area and back of velcro with 3m carpet adhesive and allow to tack dry (about 5 minutes) and press together.
Unread 04-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm working on a pretty awesome idea. I'll post when I finish and know it works. Stay tuned...
Unread 04-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

SOLUTION (hopefully)

So I got to thinking about how I was going to try and tack down the mats and didn't really want to mess with the velcro because I hate adhesive with a passion. It never fails that when it gets hot stickiness goes everywhere and that's just now fun. The snaps were a good idea, but I have any of those and didn't know how well that would work as I've never messed with snaps.

So the answer?.....

MAGNETS!!! Yep, magnets, plus some hardware to hold it all on. I had four of these rare-earth magnets I had taken out of something and they are circular with a hole cut out like a washer and they are super strong. It just kinda hit me all at once and I just finished putting it together and am waiting to see how well it all works.

PARTS LIST
Qty 2 - #8-32 x 1-inch machine screws and nuts
Qty 2 - #10 washers
Qty 2 - #10 finish washers
Qty 4 - washer style rare earth magnets
Qty 2 - small metal plate with 1/8" holes on each side
Qty 4 - 1/8 x 3mm rivets and washers

Here's the diagram of how I laid everything out. Hopefully it will give you a clear representation of what I did.
NOTE: The washers on the bottom side of the mat and plate are optional I would say. My rivets were barely long enough so I actually didn't put washers there on the other side.

untitled-2.jpg

FINISHED PRODUCT PICTURES

Here's how the rivets/washers look top side of the mats. If everything works, I'll touch these up with black paint so they are less noticeable.

img_4320.jpg

The underside of the mat and the top part of the magnetized screw/washer. Sorry for the overexposure of the metal plate. Basically the plate was just something I had laying around. It can be anything as long as it is a magnetic metal.

img_4321.jpg

Finally, underneath the carpet showing the magnets, nut and washer.

img_4322.jpg

If for some reason the magnets aren't strong enough going through the carpet and screw, I may get rid of the finish washer on top of the carpet and use one of the magnets there instead. That way the magnet would be in direct contact with the metal plates on the mat and there's no way the wind is going to knock that out haha.

It would be nice if Quadratec could include something like this as it wouldn't be that hard to do. I'll post back after a drive down the freeway and report how things worked out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.