Putting OTRATTW Conturs V Double Light swiches in sPOD. How to wire them? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Putting OTRATTW Conturs V Double Light swiches in sPOD. How to wire them?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
dids
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 41
Putting OTRATTW Conturs V Double Light swiches in sPOD. How to wire them?

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out how to wire OTRATTW Contura double light switches into the sPOD double light version with the black button on the front for the lower lights.

I have looked and can't seem to find a wiring diagram for the sPOD to show how the switches are setup from sPOD. The sPOD switches have 4 posts but the OTRATTW switches have 5 posts. It would appear that I need to jump posts 7 and 8 together (which I have done) but how should the rest of the posts be wired? IE what color wires to what posts and should there be an other jumpers?

If anyone has replaced this type of sPOD with these type of OTRATTW switches. I would appreciate it if you could let me know how you wired them.


Thanks,

DIDS

dids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
brianjw
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hillsboro, Or
Posts: 1,364
I need pictures of the switches to help I think. If I can still find the right diagram.

Are you trying to back light one side of the switch with the dash lights? Or light up the whole switch when it's turned on?
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
brianjw
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hillsboro, Or
Posts: 1,364
Here are the wiring diagrams for their different part numbers.

http://www.otrattw.net/wiring-diagrams.html
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
dids
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Here are the wiring diagrams for their different part numbers.

http://www.otrattw.net/wiring-diagrams.html
Hi Brianjw,

I am trying to get the lower lights to turn on when I press the black button next to switch one on the sPOD.

I already have the wiring diagrams for the OTRATTW switches. I need a wiring diagram for the sPOD. You would think they would have this information available on their website but they don't.

I have been trying to get in touch with sPOD but they are very hard to get in touch with for any support.
dids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
brianjw
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hillsboro, Or
Posts: 1,364
If I remember right, the spod harness just had 8 wires. Six of them are leads to power the relays, then a positive and negative.

If I'm thinking correctly, you'll need to tap into the negative or add another ground. I'm assuming the black button just has two terminals? Ground in, ground out. From the button, ground should go to whatever post on the switch grounds that particular light....?

Have you called them on the phone? I never got emails back but when I called them they were really helpful. I just have the source (box and wiring harness) and used the rugged ridge a pillar pod, with the contura v switches.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
dids
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
If I remember right, the spod harness just had 8 wires. Six of them are leads to power the relays, then a positive and negative.

If I'm thinking correctly, you'll need to tap into the negative or add another ground. I'm assuming the black button just has two terminals? Ground in, ground out. From the button, ground should go to whatever post on the switch grounds that particular light....?

Have you called them on the phone? I never got emails back but when I called them they were really helpful. I just have the source (box and wiring harness) and used the rugged ridge a pillar pod, with the contura v switches.

I have called them on the phone and left a voicemail on Tuesday. I still have not gotten a call back. I have been calling every 20 minutes since 11:00AM EST this morning but it keeps going to voicemail.

I did ground posts 7 and 8 together but don't know where the Green wire that was on Post 7 of the sPOD switch should go on the OTRATTW Contura V switch.


Thanks,

DIDS
dids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
brianjw
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hillsboro, Or
Posts: 1,364
Actually I'm not sure polarity matters with the leds. This write up shows ground the top terminals and supplying positive to the bottom right.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sp...ew-248059.html

I don't want to recommend a particular way one way or the other, but you can refer to this write up and call them.

Either way if that button switch isn't wired up you'll need either positive 12v or ground running through it, to the bottom right terminal.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
brianjw
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hillsboro, Or
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by dids

I have called them on the phone and left a voicemail on Tuesday. I still have not gotten a call back. I have been calling every 20 minutes since 11:00AM EST this morning but it keeps going to voicemail.

I did ground posts 7 and 8 together but don't know where the Green wire that was on Post 7 of the sPOD switch should go on the OTRATTW Contura V switch.

Thanks,

DIDS
I didn't even think about, but they are probably all out at Easter jeep safari or something.

The write up I linked to shows the green ground wire on the top terminals and positive 12v to the lower right to power the lower light. Hope that helps you.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
dids
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
I didn't even think about, but they are probably all out at Easter jeep safari or something.

The write up I linked to shows the green ground wire on the top terminals and positive 12v to the lower right to power the lower light. Hope that helps you.
I was looking at the writeup earlier this morning. However that is a different model sPOD than what I have and the wires are setup totally different. The model in the writeup does not have the black button with the 2 black wires coming out of it going to posts 8 and 2.


Thanks,

DIDS
dids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.
 
sjones26573's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,492
Alright, I am not familiar with this version of the sPod but I think I get the gist of what you're asking. On these switches, IIRC, 6 and 7 are both grounds. 6 grounds the independent lower light while 7 grounds the switch dependent upper light. To have the lowers operate off of the separate switch, you need to keep 6 and 7 separate. Run the grounds from pins 6 to the switch. Then you can merge the grounds after the switch. That way, the lower lights are switched by the grounds but it won't effect the upper lights.

EDIT: It's #7 and #6, not #8.
capture.png

__________________
The Yellowtail Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
dids
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Alright, I am not familiar with this version of the sPod but I think I get the gist of what you're asking. On these switches, IIRC, 6 and 7 are both grounds. 6 grounds the independent lower light while 7 grounds the switch dependent upper light. To have the lowers operate off of the separate switch, you need to keep 6 and 7 separate. Run the grounds from pins 6 to the switch. Then you can merge the grounds after the switch. That way, the lower lights are switched by the grounds but it won't effect the upper lights.

EDIT: It's #7 and #6, not #8.

Hi sjones26573,

I have the V1D1J switches from OTRATTW so it is Posts 7 and 8 that should be jumpered together. However, that doesn't tell me what wires go to where from the original sPOD switches.

The sPOD has 2 black wires coming out of the Black button. One wire is daisy chained in series to Post 8 on all switches and ends at switch 6.

The other wire coming from the Black switch is Daisy chained in series to Post 2 on all switches and then goes from Switch 6 into the spod connector harness.

Post 7 is daisy chained in series with Green wire and goes into the harness after Switch 6

Post 3 has a different color wire on each switch and they run directly into the sPOD wiring harness.


So on the new switch if I jumper 7 and 8 together. What happens to the Green wire from Post 7 and also the other wires?
dids is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.