Is putting a Hemi in worth it? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Is putting a Hemi in worth it?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #31
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

You guys that install Hemi/LS engines in your JKs make me envy you. I am more than content with what I have now but if I had money that was cluttering up my garage I would do a V8 swap for sure; not the juice kind either.

1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #32
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

Fwiw, one of the locals had a RIPP 3.8, swapped out for a Burnsville Hemi. Sums it up by saying the V8 is "more emotionally satisfying". From the horses mouth.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #33
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

Cant comment about an LS or Hemi as I havent driven a jeep powered with one. I imagine it would be awesome.....but just too much $ to justify for me. I have the RIPP gen II SC, run 37" (heavy) Toyo OC MT, 5:13 gears, and it is my daily driver. Anyone who thinks you have to be at 5000 rpm to get to positve boost is misinformed. I run a boost/vacuum gauge because the more I stay on vacuum side, the better gas milage I get. However, from any gear, if I step on gas pedal, I get as much as 6psi boost. In 6th gear, at 70 MPH, I am running at 2800 rpm. If I step on skinny pedal, my boost gauge imediately jumps to 1-3psi boost and I never get close to 5000 rpm. Do I have the power of a V-8, probably not, but I am very happy with the RIPP setup.
RIPP stage 2 SC, Teraflex 6" lift, 37x13.5x18 Toyo OC MT, American Racing artillary wheels, Teraflex monster control arm, Teraflex drag link flip kit, Currie control arms, EVO axle sleeves and gussets, Fox 2.0 shocks, Tom Woods drive shafts, Eaton E-lockers front and rear, G2 5:13 gears, Synergy suspension tie rod and ball joints, synergy suspension sway bar disconnects, RR XHD front bumper, RR muffler and evap cannister skid plate, Body armor rear bumper and tire carrier, Nemesis tub armor and billy rockers, Bushwacker flat fender flares, mastercraft baja seats with corbeau 3 point harness, Warn 8000 winch, rigid LED lights, sprint booster throttle response module, spec stage 2+ clutch
Lynhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #34
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Theoretically, the cheapest way to get a Hemi in a jeep is if it was a factory option. The 5.0 Coyote in an F 150 is only $1000 more than the 3.7 , V6.

If we'd petition Jeep long enough to convince them there is a market, they'll do it.

I'd love a Hemi with that six speed manual!
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #35
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
Theoretically, the cheapest way to get a Hemi in a jeep is if it was a factory option. The 5.0 Coyote in an F 150 is only $1000 more than the 3.7 , V6.

If we'd petition Jeep long enough to convince them there is a market, they'll do it.

That would be ideal. Around here most trucks are offered with a "no charge" hemi because they're so popular. (That and we're a bunch of rednecks!) Hemi with the stick would be sooo much fun!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #36
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

The 6.4 hemi is a monster, I can only imagine what that would be like. I have the 5.7 in my commander and do really like it. It is a blast to drive and the fastest vehicle I have ever owned (mainly had jeeps and trucks).

I get 14-16mpg in the commander on the highway typically, 11-12 around town. I get 15-16 with 4.10's and 35's on the jk, 14-15 around town. When I had 33's I could easily get 16-18 on the highway. I am getting 5.13's within a month and expect to see my mileage improve. I might decide I don't need more power. I have never encountered a situation offroad where I needed more power than the stock 3.8 makes. I have wanted lower gearing though and the 5.13's should help but my next step will be a rubicrawler. My biggest concern with the hemi is the heat. My commander will hit a coolant temp of 230+ on the highway, seems hot to me but chrysler says it is normal. The transmission with cooler pulling my 2700# trailer will hit 180-190, again seems hot to me but chrysler says its normal. I would think these temps will lead to decreased life.

You can do a motech swap fairly cheap if you don't want a lot of the modern conveniences such as cruise control. But if you want it to look, act, and drive just like it came from the factory you are not gonna do it for $5k. But if you want cruise, a better radiator (for anything over 5.3l), and to reuse your stock transfer case you are at close to $7K just for the kit plus you have to find an engine and transmission (which you can find great deals on)I would still think 3k for a newer lower mileage engine and transmission would be about where you would be, you might even be able to find better deals on the engine/transmission. So, you are still at about $10k for an LS swap doing your own work. If you have motech or another shop do the work you will easily see 15-20K.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #37
MoparToYou
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
The 6.4 hemi is a monster, I can only imagine what that would be like. My biggest concern with the hemi is the heat.
The 6.4 is beautiful, something that needs to be experienced to be adequately appreciated. My 6.4 with 4.10 gears and 35" tires has gotten between 14.1 mpg and 16.8 mpg, and I have had no problems with heat. I got mine from AEV, and I think that both AEV and Burnsville have these figured out now. I would not get one from a shop that does them as a sideline.

Last weekend I took an editor friend on a wheeling trip to the top of a 10,000 foot tall mountain, up a long steep dirt road. The last time I took this trip was a few years ago, in a two door 2010 JK with 35" tires and 5.38 gears. I did about half the trip in high range 4-wheel drive, and at that point a warning light came on on the dash that said "HOT OIL". It is a light that comes on when automatic transmission oil temperatures get too high. I had to stop and let it cool, then shift into low range 4-wheel drive to complete the trip. This time I did the whole trip in high range 4-wheel drive, and I never saw any warning lights for trans temp, or other heat problems. The big Hemi practically idled its way up the mountain, and never got hot. In that situation the Hemi was better than a stock engine JK as far as heat goes.
MoparToYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #38
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post

I just got an F150 with the 5.0L. Its weight is exactly the same as my '09 JKUR, 5500 lbs. The difference in performance on the highway is significant, and the 5.0L gets significantly better mileage. So, I can imagine a proper V8 in the JK would be a very satisfying drive. In most cases I've seen the V8/trans combos that can be installed don't weigh significantly more (sometimes less) than the 3.8L & auto trans in the earlier JKs. I haven't seen an LS conversion yet, but the few Hemi conversions I've looked at are really slick. A local guy here had one done a number of years ago and had constant overheating issues. However, I don't hear that much about it being a common issue.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #39
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

If it's something you could do yourself and you were able to nab an engine fairly cheap, it'd probably be worth it. I've driven in a 5.7L Hemi JK and while it definitely has more umph, it's not worth $20k.
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #40
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

When my 3.8L blows up, this is what I would like:

http://dieseltoys.com/jeep

It's a panther diesel with lots of low end torque. It's more of a Jeep type of engine instead of a sports car type of engine.
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #41
MoparToYou
2013 JK Wrangler 

I see alot of people wanting diesel engines in their Jeep. I'm not sure it would be all that great of a conversion though. I've owned several diesel pickup trucks, and now own a 2012 Ram with a 6.7 Cummins that makes 800 ft lbs of torque. So, being as I have both a Cummins, and a 6.4 Hemi in the garage, which one would I choose for the ultimate Jeep engine? The Hemi, hands down. The diesel makes lots of torque when its out on the highway, pulling a load, with the turbo spooled up. But the diesel is a dog right off the line, and around town, due to turbo lag. Compared to a 6.4 almost anything is a dog though.
MoparToYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #42
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparToYou View Post
I see alot of people wanting diesel engines in their Jeep. I'm not sure it would be all that great of a conversion though. I've owned several diesel pickup trucks, and now own a 2012 Ram with a 6.7 Cummins that makes 800 ft lbs of torque. So, being as I have both a Cummins, and a 6.4 Hemi in the garage, which one would I choose for the ultimate Jeep engine? The Hemi, hands down. The diesel makes lots of torque when its out on the highway, pulling a load, with the turbo spooled up. But the diesel is a dog right off the line, and around town, due to turbo lag. Compared to a 6.4 almost anything is a dog though.
All good points.

I guess what I am getting at is my previous Jeep was a 95 YJ with the 4.0L. I know it had less horsepower and less torque than the 3.8L in my 07 JK. The JK's power band is more in the mid to upper rpm's whereas the 4.0L's is more in the low to mid rpm's.

While I certainly appreciate the extensive testing, excellent customer support, etc. that RIPP provides, everything that I have been able to gather indicates an improvement to the 3.8L at the mid to upper rpm's. In other words, it makes the 3.8L even more ricey. I am wanting to get back to a more tractor type of engine, with that type of feel instead.

While and LS is certainly not a rice engine, it is a sports car engine. It just seems like a strange thing to think about a corvette slowly crawling over obstacles, especially at elevated rpm's. Granted, it wouldn't be crazy rpm's, but still, not quite the easy going idling.

There is no doubt a hemi or ls would be faster, and be make the Jeep more like a sports car, that's not really what I feel is lacking.

Maybe my mentality is a reflection of my age. FWIW, I don't ride crotch rocket motorcycles at all. Instead, I enjoy riding my carburated Heritage Softail Classic.

I sometimes think about selling my JK in favor of an old CJ.
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #43
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I gotta believe that a new jeep/w either Hemi/LS--with warranty/engineering/cooling/suspension control would have to be the BEST, but

My jeep/w the poor 3.8l V6--stock (202) hp and 42rle AUTO will take my '08 Rubi anywhere/w ease and I can relatively climb trees/w my trailer, or cruise on the freeway at 70mph/w high 16mpg-

Some inexpensive mods, compared to a Hemi transplant-

1)- extra aux cooling to the tranny
2)-temp monitoring to the tranny
3)-dual exhaust
4)-HD 44s/w 5.38 Yukon gears

The cost for these items was-$2600 bucks-

The op asked if the Hemi swap was worthit--NOPE

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #44
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
I gotta believe that a new jeep/w either Hemi/LS--with warranty/engineering/cooling/suspension control would have to be the BEST, but

My jeep/w the poor 3.8l V6--stock (202) hp and 42rle AUTO will take my '08 Rubi anywhere/w ease and I can relatively climb trees/w my trailer, or cruise on the freeway at 70mph/w high 16mpg-

Some inexpensive mods, compared to a Hemi transplant-

1)- extra aux cooling to the tranny
2)-temp monitoring to the tranny
3)-dual exhaust
4)-HD 44s/w 5.38 Yukon gears

The cost for these items was-$2600 bucks-

The op asked if the Hemi swap was worthit--NOPE

JIMBO
I have to agree with you there Jim. Most places are charging $20,000 to $25,000 for a hemi swap or even an LS swap. That kind of money buys another Jeep. If the cost was $5,000 to $$7,000, it would be a different story. I personally cannot justify replacing the 3.8L in favor of a hemi for that kind of money, especially when there isn't a gaping hole in the side of the block or some other catastrophe.

Magnuson / AEV superchargers are an interesting, more affordable option.
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #45
rcrupper
2007 JK Wrangler 

depends on how you plan it. i bought a 2007 unlimited with approx 77000 miles on it with the intention of doing the swap. it was pristine highway vehicle, never seen offroad and must people think it is a new jeep and i got it for 16K, added the hemi myself for around 15K and now have a awesome jeep with a hemi for around 31K, less than alot of people pay for a new one. i will add dana 60s and still be around 40-45K which i have seen new jeeps sell for. everybody has different wants and needs and whats worth it to one is not to the next.. i'm very happy with my finished product when my wife doesnt beat me to driving it....

rob
rcrupper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.