Is putting a Hemi in worth it? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Is putting a Hemi in worth it?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 08-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
rcrupper
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppage View Post
So for those out there who are running 35+ tires with a lift and a Hemi on a 4 door JK. Is it worth it? How much did it cost? What's the gain in power and mileage (if any). What's your lift, tire size and gears? I have a 4 door 2009 with the mini van engine and I'm just wondering, is it worth it? Thanks.
i have a 2007 unlimited jk with 4.10 gears and i just finished putting a hemi in mine. you will be looking at 12k+ and thats with a junkyard engine, for a low mileage engine/trans probably closer to 15K..

However the power is awesome, no comparison to the factory engine. makes the jeep way fun to drive, mileage didnt go down too much but i havent kept my foot out of it enought to tell yet. i am running 35's with a 2.5" lift on mine and love it.. good luck..

rcrupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
rcrupper
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
IF I had the dollars, and I knew it would pass TX inspection, I would be all over a Hemi or an LS conversion. RIPP is a great way to go to, and a lot less hard on the wallet. And it would sound AWESOME as well.
the hemi if done right will pass texas inspections... and fun to drive..
rcrupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrupper View Post
the hemi if done right will pass texas inspections... and fun to drive..
Thanks for the post!
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

In the FWIW category for $4.5k, I chose the RIPP and could not be happier. Rock crawling does not need any more performance than stock 3.8, but freeway performance benefits from SC!
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I was just talking to a guy the other day with a gen 1 ripp and his brother has a 2013 jk. Both are set up tire and gearing the same. He said the performance of the ripp puts his about equal to the 2013. The ripp gen 2 with intercooler should be slightly better than a pentastar(?). So, for the money I think the Ripp is a great option.

The v6 won't ever be a v8 but I don't know that 20k is worth it. If you can do all the work yourself and get into it for 10k then it isn't so bad (seen some do this on the forums). I have a hemi in my commander and like it but I would probably opt for the LS if I ever go that route in my jk.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
In the FWIW category for $4.5k, I chose the RIPP and could not be happier. Rock crawling does not need any more performance than stock 3.8, but freeway performance benefits from SC!
Rocky,
The guy I was talking too felt that 5.13's, 37's, and the Ripp weren't a good combo for freeway driving. He said he had to be going 75-80 or more to get enough boost to make a difference. What has your experience been? The freeway driving is the only reason I would consider a SC. He felt the boost just came on too high to be worth it for 65-70mph and less. Maybe the Gen 1 stuff was quite a bit different than the gen II stuff? Maybe a different pulley would let is spool up sooner?
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't know where this $20k number keeps coming from. You can get a complete swap kit from MoTech for just over $5k. If you wanted new crate engine and trans a 6.0 LS2 for under $4k and 6L80 trans for under $3k direct from GM. Buy used and save. Hemi is way more expensive and the transmissions; 545rfe, 66rfe, and 68rfe are junk. Trust me, I have a 66rfe in my ram. Also lots heavier.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #23
HK_Runner
2014 JK Wrangler 

If I were to do a swap, I'd do the LS swap. I also wonder about the drivability with a RIPP and 37s. I prefer torque down low. HP at 5K+ does not sound like fun in a Jeep anyway. I do see the diff in economics though...and especially if you're running smaller tires.
HK_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

My experience with 35s and 4.88 gears is very good relative to freeway driving Power (as indicated by positive boost and butt pressure) comes on at between 2000 to 3000 rpm depending on the gear I am in. In 6th gear, this is around 60 to 70 mph, agn just where I want it. Since rock crawling for me is barely 1000 rpm and with my crawl ratio at 92:1 SC is not in play. So to those that say 5000 rpm before boost I call BS. Stock torque is enough to tear apart parts at that crawl ratio if not carefully applied. I don' t need more than stock for crawling.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

YUP, everso true-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
My experience with 35s and 4.88 gears is very good relative to freeway driving Power (as indicated by positive boost and butt pressure) comes on at between 2000 to 3000 rpm depending on the gear I am in. In 6th gear, this is around 60 to 70 mph, agn just where I want it. Since rock crawling for me is barely 1000 rpm and with my crawl ratio at 92:1 SC is not in play. So to those that say 5000 rpm before boost I call BS. Stock torque is enough to tear apart parts at that crawl ratio if not carefully applied. I don' t need more than stock for crawling.
My JKUR/w 5.38s has no need for the RIPP/V8 transfer, my freeway travels in the "3.8L sweet zone" and my crawling is more than great, for an auto-

Crawl ratio--61/1-

To answer the question--NOPE Hemi swap not worthit !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #26
dis_dis
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the Ripp stage 2 with the long headers and 4.88 gears and 35s and I'm tearing everyone apart on the expressway. Very happy with the set up. Will be upgrading to 37s soon. The sc with the headers installed ran me about 5k ... I bought it used
dis_dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #27
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Good for you-everyone buys a jeep for different reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis_dis View Post
I have the Ripp stage 2 with the long headers and 4.88 gears and 35s and I'm tearing everyone apart on the expressway. Very happy with the set up. Will be upgrading to 37s soon. The sc with the headers installed ran me about 5k ... I bought it used
My last corvette, was a demon on the freeway, then I bought a jeep, now I go where I want to, just don't have to doit quickly-

JIMBO
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #28
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot

Mileage? This strikes me as a strange question in this context.
Not a strange question for a daily driver. Since the current mini van motor seems under powered for the size of the vehicle I reason that effects the mileage negatively. If the engine doesn't have to work as hard maybe it would get better range. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Another pipe dream would be a diesel option but if they do offer one, I bet I'll be under powered as well.

So from all the comments:
Hemi 20k+ (less if I can rip one and transmission out of a neighbors truck. 8-)

Ripp or other super charger. 5k+. Not including a shop if I don't do it myself. Chance of blowing engine ?

Trade in for a newer Jk with the new engine. Not sure how much.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Coppage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nothing underpowered about the 3.8L v6, it's strictly a matter of GEARS-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppage View Post
Not a strange question for a daily driver. Since the current mini van motor seems under powered for the size of the vehicle I reason that effects the mileage negatively. If the engine doesn't have to work as hard maybe it would get better range. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Another pipe dream would be a diesel option but if they do offer one, I bet I'll be under powered as well.

So from all the comments:
Hemi 20k+ (less if I can rip one and transmission out of a neighbors truck. 8-)

Ripp or other super charger. 5k+. Not including a shop if I don't do it myself. Chance of blowing engine ?

Trade in for a newer Jk with the new engine. Not sure how much.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Put the proper gears in your jeep and you have a new responsive, good mileage jeep-

Simple under $3K mod--

Works every time-

JIMBO
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
MoparToYou
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a 6.4 Hemi in my 2013 JK Unlimited, and all of the naysayers in this thread really need to experience driving one. The 6.4 totally transforms a JK, and turns it into one of the best driving machines you can buy, at any price. The engine is so strong and so smooth that it is an absolute joy to drive. Every time I drive mine I quickly have a big smile on my face, or even break out laughing, because it is so much fun. This is Jeep #28 for me, in the last 38 years, and it is by far the best Jeep I've ever owned. Nothing else has even been close. The Hemi swap isn't cheap, but it is far and away the best mod I have ever done to any vehicle. This Hemi swap makes driving fun again.

I took a friend of mine 4-wheeling last Saturday, and he took some pictures and wrote an article for 4-Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine's web site. He has had 5 JKs with V8 swaps, he's had Burnsville Hemi's and Motech LS V8s. Take a look at the article he wrote, and see what he had to say about the 6.4.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/...ommando-green/
MoparToYou is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.