Is putting a Hemi in worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Is putting a Hemi in worth it?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

Is putting a Hemi in worth it?

So for those out there who are running 35+ tires with a lift and a Hemi on a 4 door JK. Is it worth it? How much did it cost? What's the gain in power and mileage (if any). What's your lift, tire size and gears? I have a 4 door 2009 with the mini van engine and I'm just wondering, is it worth it? Thanks.

Coppage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

why not put in a RIPP for a lot less money and hassle?

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Xtreme 4x4 has a whole episode on this. They built a sweet JK and put a RIPP in it, look it up. Ill get a link for you if thats easier

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...rged-jk-part-3
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

To me the $20,000+ cost is not worth it (Cost to have AEV install it). If your eng is good and not burning oil you would probably be better off with the RIPP supercharger.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Coppage
2009 JK Wrangler 

How hard is that to install or would you recommend a shop? Anyone have a Ripp and what are your specs and results? That is a LOT less expensive way to go.

Thanks,
Mike
Coppage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There a few threads on here about them. From what I've read, they are very happy with it and took a day to install. Only one I've seen in person was on a TJ and is was impressive t watch it wheel.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppage View Post
So for those out there who are running 35+ tires with a lift and a Hemi on a 4 door JK. Is it worth it? How much did it cost? What's the gain in power and mileage (if any). What's your lift, tire size and gears? I have a 4 door 2009 with the mini van engine and I'm just wondering, is it worth it? Thanks.
Mileage? This strikes me as a strange question in this context.
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
D0dgeRam1500
2006 KJ Liberty 

I agree with going with the super charger. If your going to do a Hemi swap you might as well buy another Jeep with the Pentastar and move your after market parts over to it.
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

IF I had the dollars, and I knew it would pass TX inspection, I would be all over a Hemi or an LS conversion. RIPP is a great way to go to, and a lot less hard on the wallet. And it would sound AWESOME as well.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #10
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a quote right now that's in the 8-10k range with motor, labor, and transmission rebuild. This is for a TJ though, but I can't image the JK would be any higher.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdjeepguy
I have a quote right now that's in the 8-10k range with motor, labor, and transmission rebuild. This is for a TJ though, but I can't image the JK would be any higher.
Add about $5k for a JK. Having the Hemi (or LS) interface with the factory electronics (Canbus) is an expensive package. AEV does one, so does Burnsville. MoTech and JSS do one for the LS motor. They're all +/- $5k.

OP, I wouldn't bother with supercharging it. Comparing a blown V6 to a V8 is apples to oranges. Folks seem to think that because the peak horsepower is close to that of a V8 they'll perform the same. Best to look at dyno sheets for both. Look at the way the torque is delivered and where horsepower is made and you'll see what's best.

Also, I would definitely look into an LS swap rather than a Hemi. Much better motor and transmission.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdjeepguy View Post
Lol, yeah right. JK prices for everything on average is about 150% more than a TJ due to the market demand. V8 swap for a JK is ball-park $15,000-20,000 depending on the way you go about it.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
Add about $5k for a JK. Having the Hemi (or LS) interface with the factory electronics (Canbus) is an expensive package. AEV does one, so does Burnsville. MoTech and JSS do one for the LS motor. They're all +/- $5k.

OP, I wouldn't bother with supercharging it. Comparing a blown V6 to a V8 is apples to oranges. Folks seem to think that because the peak horsepower is close to that of a V8 they'll perform the same. Best to look at dyno sheets for both. Look at the way the torque is delivered and where horsepower is made and you'll see what's best.

Also, I would definitely look into an LS swap rather than a Hemi. Much better motor and transmission.
Absolutely correct! Peak horsepower is not an indicator of engine performance. No matter what you bolt onto a V6, it still ain't no V8.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree but... when you can get close with a RIPP and are into it for under $5K and the V8 (on the lower end) would be into it at $15K... close is good enough for me! I don't mind eating a apple when everyone else is eating a orange...

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Lol, yeah right. JK prices for everything on average is about 150% more than a TJ due to the market demand. V8 swap for a JK is ball-park $15,000-20,000 depending on the way you go about it.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.