Purchasing a 2012 or newer JK, Any powertrain problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Purchasing a 2012 or newer JK, Any powertrain problems?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
-G-

Purchasing a 2012 or newer JK, Any powertrain problems?

Hello guys,

I'm in the market for a 2012 or newer JK. I sold my 2008 JK due to oil consumption and was wondering if there are any known engine or transmissions problems with the new powertrain?

Thank you,

-G-

-G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Read this thread and then search for Pentastar Head Problems...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...-head-1391297/
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
-G-

Thank you RockyClymer. I believe I will stay away from the 2012 models and focus on the 2013.
-G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

watch that too; early 13"s have had the same issue I have read. and none of the "fixed ones" have had enough time to say for sure. I had a left bank replaced last week at 20k. trouble is no one knows really knows. I wonder if Chrysler even does. trouble with that is those are the latest heads too. I would get a long warranty. Last Chrysler said is was a combination of bad gas/ driver. We know since the failures are all over the nation one cant say all gas is bad.............

I can say with out doubt the new head is much smoother sounding and netted 1.5 mpg in town. Dealer took a week to get the needed parts and time. The were more than nice about it. My Jeep is a DD and a Club Jeep so it looks like what I use it for 3+ lift 35"s armor... lots of scratches few dents topless door less. They even cleaned it! I figure one day after the heart of this horse dies(or runs out of warranty) I have a 5.3 and a 6L80e in plan. With paddle **** on the column. about the same weight v8 equal mpg. Wont spit out valves that are NOT serviceable. Fact is unless the after market come out with a better head. As I am one that thinks the issue is from the casted into the head exhaust manifold. It is transferring to much heat to the center area of the heads. I think this is why they are burning exhaust valves. The Jk just showed the flaw. They used this motor in Grand before this and it had other issues then, they fixed.

Anyone make a CNC head for this mouse motor? with just exhaust PORTS. Think there may be a market here. Naw I would still go chev heck you can get crashed 1500 with about all you need for the cost of two heads.

By the way in the Mini Van forum, yes they have one good gawd. . Pents seems to go out at longer interval more in the 40K...................
Unread 09-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Where are you reading about '13s with the same problem?
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.