Pulling a Pontoon Boat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Pulling a Pontoon Boat

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 07-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
wengerda
2010 JK Wrangler 

Pulling a Pontoon Boat

Need some advise. I am planning to purchase a 21 footer pontoon boat. Maximum weight on it is approximately 2500lbs. Do you think I can pull this boat with a 2010 Wrangler 4 doors Unlimited. Not planning to drive more than 10 or 15 miles from the marina. Also I am not planning to change the axles.

wengerda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yes, towing capacity on a 4 door is 3500 lbs.
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
OneJeepNewb
2013 JK Wrangler 

if you got the towing package or the auto tranny you are fine. As long as you have the 3:73 gears or better. I wouldn't try it with the 6speed and 3:21 gears.
OneJeepNewb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

hills

Well my boat+trailer is just under 1000 lb so maybe no comparison, BUT as you can see in the pic I have towed it up and down some big, steep, and long "hills" You should have no probem just in 15 miles.......
pc090181.jpg  

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
gmorgan

I have a 2 door jk and a 20' pontoon boat and the pontoon is 8' wide you WILL need towing mirrors . I tryed it one time and it was not fun I use my dodge daully to tow it and it's safer

Boat+gear+cooler+boat gas+ people = more than you think

And you have to be able to stop this when some a$$ pulls out in front of you, and you know they will they do it to me , they don't want you to slow them down.

12' jeep 3800lb. pulling a 21' boat +gear = jack kniff
gmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

yea, don't stop fast....

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
Need some advise. I am planning to purchase a 21 footer pontoon boat. Maximum weight on it is approximately 2500lbs. Do you think I can pull this boat with a 2010 Wrangler 4 doors Unlimited. Not planning to drive more than 10 or 15 miles from the marina. Also I am not planning to change the axles.
I couldn't find your gears as you haven't filled out any details in your profile.

Be sure you have the weight correct..TOTAL weight, includes the loaded pontoon WITH engine, fuel batteries etc.. I am close to 3,000 lbs with my 21 ft pontoon (60 HP Merc Bigfoot, two batteries, 15 gallons fuel and two anchors, plus all the other gear..and last but not least please add the weight of the trailer... (at least another 1,000 lbs)
You might be very marginal...if not over the towing limit..
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , towing , towing capacity , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.