Pulling Carpet & Plastic trim Pieces..want to put back when done - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Pulling Carpet & Plastic trim Pieces..want to put back when done

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
JonesN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Pulling Carpet & Plastic trim Pieces..want to put back when done

I've read all the 'my jeep was caught in the rain naked' threads..still have questions.
Heres what my intentions are: remove carpet without cutting or tearing. Removing the plastic trim covering roll bars, etc. (kinda like a spring cleaning if you will, since I'm pulling carpet out anyways to get it dried)

Question: 1. how do i get the plastic trim out..those little plastic button things..special tool?
2. Any advise on best method for removing seats/console/plastic trim?
3. When all done and its time to put back together are there any special things I should remember..ie. lock tight on seat bolts, torq for bolts on seats?

Are there any threads (i've looked but my searches haven't been successful) that give a play by play on 'best practices' or 'learn from my mistakes' with pics?
TIA...I'm looking forward to cleaning her up a little seeing as how when I pulled the plugs (partially removed carpet) to let water start draining...it was the color of tea..It's been in a few dust storms out on the trails

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][CENTER]I tried to melt my JK down and inject it, but it didn't work!! I tried to chop it into a fine powder and snort it, but it didn't work!! So I will continue to check the forum 100X a day, and get butterflies everytime I get a new toy for it.[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[CENTER][URL="http://www.blackjeepsociety.com"][FONT="Arial Black"][B][SIZE="5"]BLACK JEEP SOCIETY[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]
JonesN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

On the plastic rivets I prefer to buy a bag of em and just rip the old ones (i use a nail puller - mini crow bar on screwdriver handle) replacing on reinstall. The effort to pull them undamaged adds an hour to the job easily - a bag of 25 is about 8.00 - i'm worth more than 8.00 an hour! Besides even carefully pulling them they will be loose on reinstall adding rattles.
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, those plastic screws are usually "one use". As for the seats, they have Permatex 2 already, (blue), so they're tough to get out the first time. Personally, I use anti-seize on mine, since once they're out, there's a good chance the threads'll rust. I torque them "shoulder tight", if that helps.

There's only one place on the carpet that you need to cut, and they'll go back in easily (so I'm told, anyway). I'd suggest using a bedliner inside your whole tub. I'm not even sure where my carpet is...................

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
JonesN
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think getting them out wont be an issue I'll just use the impact wrench to get them out...it's the putting them back in that worries me! I have gotten tool to remove and a few new rivets in case I screw up some.... Who knows once I get it all out I may have a different opinion about puttin it all back, except the seats!! Those are def going back in LOL!!
[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][CENTER]I tried to melt my JK down and inject it, but it didn't work!! I tried to chop it into a fine powder and snort it, but it didn't work!! So I will continue to check the forum 100X a day, and get butterflies everytime I get a new toy for it.[/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[CENTER][URL="http://www.blackjeepsociety.com"][FONT="Arial Black"][B][SIZE="5"]BLACK JEEP SOCIETY[/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Harbor Freight as well as other places sells a couple of trim removal tools especially made for those stubborn “trim rivets”. It has been my experience though as hard as you may try the majority of those rivets still come out damaged. Do like mentioned above and have some standing by when reinstalling the trim.

Pay careful attention to backing up the trim tools to avoid scratching and galling the extremely soft plastic on your ’08; just looking at it and they scratch.

As far as tightening the seat bolts I have never reapplied any kind of thread locker, just make sure you tighten them pretty tight and they should be fine. Now I’m not suggesting that you shouldn’t use thread locker but just saying that’s how I do it.

For the console trim there are no trim rivets. It’s a combination of yanking and hidden screws that will get those pieces off.

Try checking out the sticky “JK F.A.Q. - Frequently Asked Questions / Will It Rub and Links to Popular Threads!”; you might find some trim removal and torque threads that will guide you for what you’re asking.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
dcramer63
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
On the plastic rivets I prefer to buy a bag of em and just rip the old ones (i use a nail puller - mini crow bar on screwdriver handle) replacing on reinstall. The effort to pull them undamaged adds an hour to the job easily - a bag of 25 is about 8.00 - i'm worth more than 8.00 an hour! Besides even carefully pulling them they will be loose on reinstall adding rattles.
Very informative thread going here. Where do you buy these plastic "rivets" or "screws". I probably makes sense to have a supply on hand for that "not if, but when" I get caught neckid!

Thanks!
dcramer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
JonesN
2008 JK Wrangler 

I got some just a little bit ago from the jeep stealership down the road from me!!
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
dcramer63
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesN View Post
I got some just a little bit ago from the jeep stealership down the road from me!!
In that price range, $8 for 25 of 'em?
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
JonesN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I spent $9 only got 3 little one and 2 big ones...that's all they had on hand!!
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
dcramer63
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I spent $9 only got 3 little one and 2 big ones...that's all they had on hand!!
I once read on here where someone bought them at a big box store, but I wouldn't know what to ask for, frankly.
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
JonesN
2008 JK Wrangler 

Now on to the console removal...

okay all carpet is out and all lower plastic...the bolt to release the seat belt is giving me a bit of trouble...now i'm moving on to the console...going hunting for some thread on how to do it..unless yall can tell me...quickly!!
Unread 08-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought boxes of those "christmas tree screws" from Fastenal...

Here's another place, 50 for $5. Forget dealer prices....
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Tri...C_p/a10831.htm

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
dcramer63
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
I bought boxes of those "christmas tree screws" from Fastenal...

Here's another place, 50 for $5. Forget dealer prices....
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Tri...C_p/a10831.htm
Perfect! Thanks!!!
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
okay all carpet is out and all lower plastic...the bolt to release the seat belt is giving me a bit of trouble...now i'm moving on to the console...going hunting for some thread on how to do it..unless yall can tell me...quickly!!
It’s been a while since I last removed the plastic from the dash on an '08 but to start with raise the steering wheel all the way up. Next grab hold of the trim piece directly below the steering wheel and yank it out. There are four clips that hold it on.

Once you’ve done that you will see two screws that need to be removed. I forget the next step but I’m sure others will chime in to help.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
JonesN
2008 JK Wrangler 

1222 that's the start to taking dash apart not the center console....lol! I read that in my drunk and half asleep voice...it made better sense that way!! 👍

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.