Pros n' Cons of Replacing JK OEM Assembly with LED Tail Lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Pros n' Cons of Replacing JK OEM Assembly with LED Tail Lights?

Borla Exhaust presents "Climber" at EJSTactical Recovery Equipment Soft Shackles!!!Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 12-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Pros n' Cons of Replacing JK OEM Assembly with LED Tail Lights?

On occasion over the years I've replaced burnt out tail light bulbs on my JK.

Yesterday was the most recent.

I got thinking about perhaps replacing the OEM lights with LED tail lights by IPCW«.

Does anyone have personal experience with LED tail lights?

If yes, what are their pros n' cons?

My requirements would include a brighter intensity than OEM lights and maintenance-free for 5+ years and toughness/durability against impacts on the trail.

Are these reasonable expectations?

At the moment I'm considering these Ruby Red LED Tail Lights by IPCW« (see details below). Are there others that you have personal experience with that meet, or exceed, my requirements?

Another question, are you aware of any regulations (highway / traffic) that speak to smoked or dark lenses for tail lights? Legal, not legal?

Backgrounder: Jeep Wrangler 2011, Ruby Red LED Tail Lights by IPCW«, 1 Pair. Especially for those drivers who are bored of their monochromatic tail lights and want to change them into something more appealing and effective, these are the right parts to go with. These bolt-on LED tail lights will give your vehicle an exclusive look and expand its lighting capabilities.

Extra Info:
2011 Jeep Wrangler Tail Lights at CARiD.com
http://www.carid.com/2011-jeep-wrangler-taillights/

b20141212_143736.jpg   ipcw.jpg  
follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

You could always use some LED globes in your existing lights? Try VLEDs - they usually have LED versions of all the normal globe types.
LeighP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Based on the feedback on the "OEM-type" taillight assemblies that have feedback on this and other forums, there are numerous complaints with element longevity. Apparently, they aren't suitably weather-sealed.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

http://www.isee-systemsstore.com/pro...c-100-1200.htm

These I'm sure will last the life of your Jeep

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
R1969
2013 JK Wrangler 

You wont have legal issued with the ones you posted. A lot of manufactures have the option of the dark red tail lights.
R1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
bzb
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have similar ones installed for the last 6 years. Only 1 burnt led. Been through 7 winters in Canada!

Make sure they are stamped D.O.T. on the lens.

Did get pulled over once, showed the DOT stamp and let me go. That was quite a while ago. Lots of vehicles with LED tail lights out there now.
photo-3.jpg  
bzb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 01:56 AM   #7
DuraJeep
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRated2011 View Post
On occasion over the years I've replaced burnt out tail light bulbs on my JK.

Yesterday was the most recent.

I got thinking about perhaps replacing the OEM lights with LED tail lights by IPCW«.

Does anyone have personal experience with LED tail lights?

If yes, what are their pros n' cons?

My requirements would include a brighter intensity than OEM lights and maintenance-free for 5+ years and toughness/durability against impacts on the trail.

Are these reasonable expectations?

At the moment I'm considering these Ruby Red LED Tail Lights by IPCW« (see details below). Are there others that you have personal experience with that meet, or exceed, my requirements?

Another question, are you aware of any regulations (highway / traffic) that speak to smoked or dark lenses for tail lights? Legal, not legal?

Backgrounder: Jeep Wrangler 2011, Ruby Red LED Tail Lights by IPCW«, 1 Pair. Especially for those drivers who are bored of their monochromatic tail lights and want to change them into something more appealing and effective, these are the right parts to go with. These bolt-on LED tail lights will give your vehicle an exclusive look and expand its lighting capabilities.

Extra Info:
2011 Jeep Wrangler Tail Lights at CARiD.com
http://www.carid.com/2011-jeep-wrangler-taillights/

How are these working out for you?? I want to put LED tail Lamps on my JK, but not sure which one would be the best.
Unread 03-20-2015, 04:33 AM   #8
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraJeep View Post

How are these working out for you?? I want to put LED tail Lamps on my JK, but not sure which one would be the best.
Hi DuraJeep:

Because of the of the cost of changing them out I have held off (for the time being anyway) on making the move to replace my OEM lights. OEMs are doing their job reasonably well for now. I can live with that. LEDs are still on my JK part wishlist though.
follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
DuraJeep
2014 JK Wrangler 

I understand. Right now I'm looking at led replacement bulbs with built-in resistors. A whole lot cheaper than replacing the entire tail light assembly.
Unread 03-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

Its the cost that gets me. I have no complaint with the brightness of the factory lights, and a globe every now and then is certainly a lot cheaper than $400 for something I pretty much consider as a styling item.
I'd change to VLEDs globes....I had them on another car in the front park lights and they're excellent!
Unread 03-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #11
DuraJeep
2014 JK Wrangler 

I looked at that website today. Couldn't tell which ones to order. I do NOT want to splice any wires. Can you help me out?
Unread 03-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #12
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sorry, I have no idea......do they have a tech line to call on the website?
The ones I used were for a 70's musclecar, so easy to find on their site.
Unread 03-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #13
Harriedtwo
2011 JK Wrangler 

I talked to a Batteries + Bulbs store owner recently. He compared the prices of LED lights to the OEM bulbs. He thinks the price of LEDs will continue to come down so he suggests carrying a pack of spare bulbs in the JK in case one burns out. You can get a brighter bulb (Halogen?) which does last longer than the cheap bulbs from China. Based on the cost, I think you can spend money better on other things than tail lights which will make your ride more effective and/or efficient. We compared replacing the front lights with LED vs. Halogen; the Silver Light Halogen are much less expensive and tend to last a long time, furthermore, you don't need to change any of the wiring in your vehicle. One key to keeping water out of the lights is to use the dielectric grease on the bulb when you install it, this will help cushion it a little. If you don't have the grease, use petroleum jelly as a substitute. I've never had any problems -yet.

Good luck with your decision making and lights. Myself, I prefer to use the less expensive backup light and spend the money on adding a high intensity tail-light high up as well as supplemental backup lights. (I lived in Germany at one time; all vehicles were required to have a high intensity red backup light for fog, which works very well!)
Harriedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #14
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

You can try superbrightled.com I think that's it. They have bulbs that are jeep jk canbus compatible. They have the resistor built right in

Sorry it's superbrightleds.com
YATZI1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.