Proper Way to Add Coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Proper Way to Add Coolant

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
lostsock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Proper Way to Add Coolant

Hey guys. I noticed the Coolant in my JK's reservoir container is extremely low (just a little pink at the bottom, 76k miles). So I picked up a bottle of Zerex G05 (not the 50/50). Would it be wise to add water to that mixture before filling the reservoir container up?

On a side note, is it normal for the coolant reservoir to be that low at 76k miles? I just purchased this jeep a few weeks ago and noticed that the coolant was low. Its also not blowing out any hot air when I have it cranked up to the max, and the temperature gauge seems to flucuate from the mid point to nearly the red, which may be caused by too little coolant (i hope).

Cheers

lostsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Add the coolant to the reservour bottle. There should be a line that shows where the full hot and full cold levels are. Then, once COLD, check the rad cap. If the rad is in need, top off.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
lostsock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
Add the coolant to the reservour bottle. There should be a line that shows where the full hot and full cold levels are. Then, once COLD, check the rad cap. If the rad is in need, top off.
So don't add water to the coolant before adding it to the reservour bottle?
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsock View Post
So don't add water to the coolant before adding it to the reservour bottle?
Yes, I would. How is the level in the radiator? Them temp gauge spiking up to the high side is not a good thing.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

You should run a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. No hot air blowing from where, your heater? You definetly have a problem if you don't have hot air coming from the heater.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
lostsock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWrangler View Post
You should run a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. No hot air blowing from where, your heater? You definetly have a problem if you don't have hot air coming from the heater.
Yes, no hot air coming from the heater.
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That's definitely a problem. If you aren't mechanically talented (which I'm assuming is the case based on the nature of your questions) you should have a mechanic that you trust look at it. The heaters in the JK's are pretty insanely awesome when they're working right.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Check the level of coolant in the radiator. If it's low, there's your problem.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

He doesn't have enough coolant in the system for it to circulate through the heater core. The first thing to do is determine where the coolant went. It's usually obvious as it will leave a tell-tale stain, or a drip if there's enough coolant still in the system and the leak is large enough. It may have just blown out the overflow on the reservoir bottle, or if you do some vertical wheeling, it can run out the overflow tube on the reservoir itself (brilliant design). Take the new gallon of coolant and mix it 50/50 with clean water in an empty coolant bottle, etc. You'll end up with two gallons of 50/50 mixed coolant. As noted, add coolant to between the hot & cold marks on the reservoir bottle. With a cold engine, open the radiator cap and top up the radiator until it's completely full. If the block is low on coolant filling the radiator won't completely fill it back up because of the thermostat blocking flow. Start the engine and let it run until it reaches a point where the coolant starts to circulate. Watch the coolant in the radiator, it will start to move and the level will likely drop quite a bit as the stuff fills the block and the heater core. add coolant until the radiator fills back up. The coolant should still be moving and it should be pretty warm. It may continue to release air that was trapped in the system. When the level stabilzes, put the radiator cap back on tight. Drive it for a few minutes, open the hood and check the reservoir bottle level. If it has dropped , top it back up to the "hot " mark. You should be done. Check for good heat from the heater system, look for leaks and monitor the level for a few days.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
ScottHerman
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
That's definitely a problem. If you aren't mechanically talented (which I'm assuming is the case based on the nature of your questions) you should have a mechanic that you trust look at it. The heaters in the JK's are pretty insanely awesome when they're working right.
I agree totally. The JK heater should run you out at full blast. There is definitely a problem that goes beyond low coolant. Definitely needs checked out by a mechanic.
ScottHerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHerman

I agree totally. The JK heater should run you out at full blast. There is definitely a problem that goes beyond low coolant. Definitely needs checked out by a mechanic.
I'm actually going to recant what I said and go with sok66 on this. If the radiator is full of coolant but the reservoir is low, then your heater should work fine. If the radiator is really low as well, then the heater won't work.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Crimbshaw188
2012 JK Wrangler 

doesnt the JK use chryslers hard to find HOAT antifreeze??
Crimbshaw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimbshaw188 View Post
doesnt the JK use chryslers hard to find HOAT antifreeze??
yes, the JK uses the HOAT coolant. but it's not that hard to find around here.

Any G-05 will do. Is it hard to find in your area?
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #14
lostsock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
He doesn't have enough coolant in the system for it to circulate through the heater core. The first thing to do is determine where the coolant went. It's usually obvious as it will leave a tell-tale stain, or a drip if there's enough coolant still in the system and the leak is large enough. It may have just blown out the overflow on the reservoir bottle, or if you do some vertical wheeling, it can run out the overflow tube on the reservoir itself (brilliant design). Take the new gallon of coolant and mix it 50/50 with clean water in an empty coolant bottle, etc. You'll end up with two gallons of 50/50 mixed coolant. As noted, add coolant to between the hot & cold marks on the reservoir bottle. With a cold engine, open the radiator cap and top up the radiator until it's completely full. If the block is low on coolant filling the radiator won't completely fill it back up because of the thermostat blocking flow. Start the engine and let it run until it reaches a point where the coolant starts to circulate. Watch the coolant in the radiator, it will start to move and the level will likely drop quite a bit as the stuff fills the block and the heater core. add coolant until the radiator fills back up. The coolant should still be moving and it should be pretty warm. It may continue to release air that was trapped in the system. When the level stabilzes, put the radiator cap back on tight. Drive it for a few minutes, open the hood and check the reservoir bottle level. If it has dropped , top it back up to the "hot " mark. You should be done. Check for good heat from the heater system, look for leaks and monitor the level for a few days.
So upon further investigation, a gasket is leaking coolant. I was adding more coolant yesterday afternoon and you can see it sizzling right out of it. Appointment scheduled for Tuesday. Still under warranty (hopefully it will cover this)
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #15
lostsock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
yes, the JK uses the HOAT coolant. but it's not that hard to find around here.

Any G-05 will do. Is it hard to find in your area?
I found it at NAPA, only place in my town that carries it, for 16 bucks.

Tags
coolant , Coolant leak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.