JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Proper Way to Add Coolant (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/proper-way-add-coolant-1378778/)

lostsock 06-08-2012 10:07 AM

Proper Way to Add Coolant

Hey guys. I noticed the Coolant in my JK's reservoir container is extremely low (just a little pink at the bottom, 76k miles). So I picked up a bottle of Zerex G05 (not the 50/50). Would it be wise to add water to that mixture before filling the reservoir container up?

On a side note, is it normal for the coolant reservoir to be that low at 76k miles? I just purchased this jeep a few weeks ago and noticed that the coolant was low. Its also not blowing out any hot air when I have it cranked up to the max, and the temperature gauge seems to flucuate from the mid point to nearly the red, which may be caused by too little coolant (i hope).

Cheers :cheers2:

LIJeepJC 06-08-2012 11:00 AM

Add the coolant to the reservour bottle. There should be a line that shows where the full hot and full cold levels are. Then, once COLD, check the rad cap. If the rad is in need, top off.

lostsock 06-08-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIJeepJC (Post 13691225)
Add the coolant to the reservour bottle. There should be a line that shows where the full hot and full cold levels are. Then, once COLD, check the rad cap. If the rad is in need, top off.

So don't add water to the coolant before adding it to the reservour bottle?

JBTJ 06-08-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostsock (Post 13691269)
So don't add water to the coolant before adding it to the reservour bottle?

Yes, I would. How is the level in the radiator? Them temp gauge spiking up to the high side is not a good thing.

MKWrangler 06-08-2012 11:32 AM

You should run a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. No hot air blowing from where, your heater? You definetly have a problem if you don't have hot air coming from the heater.

lostsock 06-08-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKWrangler (Post 13691394)
You should run a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. No hot air blowing from where, your heater? You definetly have a problem if you don't have hot air coming from the heater.

Yes, no hot air coming from the heater.

smcutter 06-08-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostsock (Post 13691456)

That's definitely a problem. If you aren't mechanically talented (which I'm assuming is the case based on the nature of your questions) you should have a mechanic that you trust look at it. The heaters in the JK's are pretty insanely awesome when they're working right.

JBTJ 06-08-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostsock (Post 13691456)

Check the level of coolant in the radiator. If it's low, there's your problem.

SoK66 06-08-2012 05:56 PM

He doesn't have enough coolant in the system for it to circulate through the heater core. The first thing to do is determine where the coolant went. It's usually obvious as it will leave a tell-tale stain, or a drip if there's enough coolant still in the system and the leak is large enough. It may have just blown out the overflow on the reservoir bottle, or if you do some vertical wheeling, it can run out the overflow tube on the reservoir itself (brilliant design). Take the new gallon of coolant and mix it 50/50 with clean water in an empty coolant bottle, etc. You'll end up with two gallons of 50/50 mixed coolant. As noted, add coolant to between the hot & cold marks on the reservoir bottle. With a cold engine, open the radiator cap and top up the radiator until it's completely full. If the block is low on coolant filling the radiator won't completely fill it back up because of the thermostat blocking flow. Start the engine and let it run until it reaches a point where the coolant starts to circulate. Watch the coolant in the radiator, it will start to move and the level will likely drop quite a bit as the stuff fills the block and the heater core. add coolant until the radiator fills back up. The coolant should still be moving and it should be pretty warm. It may continue to release air that was trapped in the system. When the level stabilzes, put the radiator cap back on tight. Drive it for a few minutes, open the hood and check the reservoir bottle level. If it has dropped , top it back up to the "hot " mark. You should be done. Check for good heat from the heater system, look for leaks and monitor the level for a few days.

ScottHerman 06-08-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcutter (Post 13691469)
That's definitely a problem. If you aren't mechanically talented (which I'm assuming is the case based on the nature of your questions) you should have a mechanic that you trust look at it. The heaters in the JK's are pretty insanely awesome when they're working right.

I agree totally. The JK heater should run you out at full blast. There is definitely a problem that goes beyond low coolant. Definitely needs checked out by a mechanic.

smcutter 06-08-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottHerman

I agree totally. The JK heater should run you out at full blast. There is definitely a problem that goes beyond low coolant. Definitely needs checked out by a mechanic.

I'm actually going to recant what I said and go with sok66 on this. If the radiator is full of coolant but the reservoir is low, then your heater should work fine. If the radiator is really low as well, then the heater won't work.

Crimbshaw188 06-08-2012 07:53 PM

doesnt the JK use chryslers hard to find HOAT antifreeze??

Jiblet 06-08-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimbshaw188 (Post 13693687)
doesnt the JK use chryslers hard to find HOAT antifreeze??

yes, the JK uses the HOAT coolant. but it's not that hard to find around here.

Any G-05 will do. Is it hard to find in your area?

lostsock 06-09-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoK66 (Post 13693174)
He doesn't have enough coolant in the system for it to circulate through the heater core. The first thing to do is determine where the coolant went. It's usually obvious as it will leave a tell-tale stain, or a drip if there's enough coolant still in the system and the leak is large enough. It may have just blown out the overflow on the reservoir bottle, or if you do some vertical wheeling, it can run out the overflow tube on the reservoir itself (brilliant design). Take the new gallon of coolant and mix it 50/50 with clean water in an empty coolant bottle, etc. You'll end up with two gallons of 50/50 mixed coolant. As noted, add coolant to between the hot & cold marks on the reservoir bottle. With a cold engine, open the radiator cap and top up the radiator until it's completely full. If the block is low on coolant filling the radiator won't completely fill it back up because of the thermostat blocking flow. Start the engine and let it run until it reaches a point where the coolant starts to circulate. Watch the coolant in the radiator, it will start to move and the level will likely drop quite a bit as the stuff fills the block and the heater core. add coolant until the radiator fills back up. The coolant should still be moving and it should be pretty warm. It may continue to release air that was trapped in the system. When the level stabilzes, put the radiator cap back on tight. Drive it for a few minutes, open the hood and check the reservoir bottle level. If it has dropped , top it back up to the "hot " mark. You should be done. Check for good heat from the heater system, look for leaks and monitor the level for a few days.

So upon further investigation, a gasket is leaking coolant. I was adding more coolant yesterday afternoon and you can see it sizzling right out of it. Appointment scheduled for Tuesday. Still under warranty (hopefully it will cover this)

lostsock 06-09-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiblet (Post 13693735)
yes, the JK uses the HOAT coolant. but it's not that hard to find around here.

Any G-05 will do. Is it hard to find in your area?

I found it at NAPA, only place in my town that carries it, for 16 bucks.

The time now is 11:51 AM.