Proper gearing for 35" tires on '13 auto wrangler - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Proper gearing for 35" tires on '13 auto wrangler

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #16
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 11,616
Remember to not even consider anything you read or hear concerning the 3.8 engine and the auto that went with it (2007-2011). The new Pentastar and new auto are worlds apart. No hate mail please as Iím not saying one Jeep is better than the other.

All I can tell you is that I have a JKU with hardtop and itís loaded down with heavy accessories, lifted with 35ís and 4.10s. I like to drive aggressively and it doesnít matter if Iím on the freeway and or going up hills, the new 2012 with the auto trans. is a great combo and will keep pulling until you let off the gas. I was expecting to change gears just like I had to with my í08 JKU (5.13s) but was surprised to learn there is no need to whatsoever with the 2012.

So, I do know that 4.10s work very well with the combo that you are asking about. Perhaps 4.56 are even better, I personally donít know, but some here are reporting how that combo works well for them. Itís a tough call to be sure.


1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #17
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
I live in the foot hills of the Appalachian mountains, 37s 4.11s and the 6 speed. I'm completely satisfied. It will pull every hill in 6th gear with no issues. I have no intention of regearing for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #18
RogueStatus
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkey View Post
I have a2012 auto with 4:88 and 35 inch tires. Seems slight overkill to me I think 4:56. Maybe someone else will chime in
when you say slight overkill, what exactly do you mean? I am trying to figure out how changing to a higher number can be overkill in situations like this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Remember to not even consider anything you read or hear concerning the 3.8 engine and the auto that went with it (2007-2011). The new Pentastar and new auto are worlds apart. No hate mail please as Iím not saying one Jeep is better than the other.

All I can tell you is that I have a JKU with hardtop and itís loaded down with heavy accessories, lifted with 35ís and 4.10s. I like to drive aggressively and it doesnít matter if Iím on the freeway and or going up hills, the new 2012 with the auto trans. is a great combo and will keep pulling until you let off the gas. I was expecting to change gears just like I had to with my í08 JKU (5.13s) but was surprised to learn there is no need to whatsoever with the 2012.

So, I do know that 4.10s work very well with the combo that you are asking about. Perhaps 4.56 are even better, I personally donít know, but some here are reporting how that combo works well for them. Itís a tough call to be sure.
This is great to hear, and incredibly helpful for me making a decision. I did have a 2008 wrangler sport a couple years ago with the 3.8, but it was a 6 speed manual completely stock, so I never encountered any of this before.

It is sounding like 4.10s will work good, i do drive aggressive sometimes mainly because I am used to having solid power throughout the entire powerband (i had a 335 bmw before the JKU, and my non-daily driver is a heavily modified vw gti with a large turbo etc...). Like i said before it is fine on flat ground and small hills, i only really encounter and notice the bigger tires causing problems on really steep hills and with the AC on.

Hopefully someone can chime in on the 4.56s with an auto trans in the 3.6 compared with the 4.10 and shed some light on it. Although im leaning towards 4.10s.... dumb question, i need to replace the gears in the rear AND front axles, right?

thanks a bunch for all your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I live in the foot hills of the Appalachian mountains, 37s 4.11s and the 6 speed. I'm completely satisfied. It will pull every hill in 6th gear with no issues. I have no intention of regearing for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Good to hear, im leaning more towards the 4.10s (assumign thats what you mean?) because it seems like people have good luck in the auto trans as well.
__________________
'13 Commando Green Sahara Unlimited- 3" BDS lift~ JKS track bars~ OME steering stabilizer~ 35" Nittos~ 17" AEV wheels.
RogueStatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #19
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
Don't fear the gear. If you're going to pay the money to regear get what is most optimal. IMO I'd get 4.56s

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
RogueStatus
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Don't fear the gear. If you're going to pay the money to regear get what is most optimal. IMO I'd get 4.56s

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cool. I figured if im spending the money (or not, since im gonna try and push this over on my jeep dealership since they are the ones who took the liberty to do the mods and then sell it to me without mentioning this or even thinking about it) that I should get something lower to make it drive more aggressive on hills but I wanted to make sure that i wouldn't make a mistake with 4.10s or 4.56s etc... Like i said im still new to all this
__________________
'13 Commando Green Sahara Unlimited- 3" BDS lift~ JKS track bars~ OME steering stabilizer~ 35" Nittos~ 17" AEV wheels.
RogueStatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #21
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
Considering the cost of parts for both diffs is about 600, plus the labor which usually ranges from 200 an axle to 750 - I'd be genuinely surprised if the dealer doesn't tell you to **** off

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #22
RogueStatus
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Considering the cost of parts for both diffs is about 600, plus the labor which usually ranges from 200 an axle to 750 - I'd be genuinely surprised if the dealer doesn't tell you to **** off

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

haha im not fully expecting them to pay for it all, but in all complete honesty if you were in my situation wouldn't you atleast try? I mean, if they wanted to do it right they should have put the proper gears in to begin with, especially considering the person who orders the parts and installs them owns a highly modified JKU wrangler that is done right. My jeep was the first they did this too, they are trying something new and looking to get there name out there to the public that they are doing this stuff now.
__________________
'13 Commando Green Sahara Unlimited- 3" BDS lift~ JKS track bars~ OME steering stabilizer~ 35" Nittos~ 17" AEV wheels.
RogueStatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #23
rha600
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hollywood, florida
Posts: 932
I would go with the 4.56 gears. I can tell you that even at highway speeds (70+mph and 2500 RPMs) my rubi with 4.10s and 35s will downshift even on small overpasses. I used to live up there in PA so I know what you are dealing with, and yeah, if you're going to spend the money, just go with the 4.56 choice. Just rememebr that it's going to affect your mpg everywhere else as well.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #24
RogueStatus
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600 View Post
I would go with the 4.56 gears. I can tell you that even at highway speeds (70+mph and 2500 RPMs) my rubi with 4.10s and 35s will downshift even on small overpasses. I used to live up there in PA so I know what you are dealing with, and yeah, if you're going to spend the money, just go with the 4.56 choice. Just rememebr that it's going to affect your mpg everywhere else as well.
I'm glad you know what I mean with where I live, the hills can be quite big and a lot of them ... Good to hear your opinion on the 4.10s too thats helpful. so now im between 4.56s and 4.88s. Do you know anything bad about a 4.88 gear set? the only reason I ask is because they are about $70 cheaper then the 4.56 on quadratec
__________________
'13 Commando Green Sahara Unlimited- 3" BDS lift~ JKS track bars~ OME steering stabilizer~ 35" Nittos~ 17" AEV wheels.
RogueStatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
The difference is negligible, about 350-400rpm in top gear roughly between 4.56 and 4.88

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
IrishBullfrog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 62
I have a 12 JKU auto with 35's and 3:73 gears.. I think it is honestly a personal preference on what you plan to do with it. I live in the Texas Hill Country and mine runs like a spotted *** ape.. It does downshift a little more but never struggles.. It is my DD and I wheel it at least once a month..

In my humble opinion, upgrading to a 4:10 isn't worth the cost/ benefit ratio and 4:88 begin to make other things suffer, like engine rpm. My buddy has an identical jeep to mine but has 4:88's. and I kick his arse going down the highway to the beach. In return, he has a little less trouble on climbs offroad,,, sometimes. I can also tell you he runs at about 600 rpm higher that me at 70 mph and gets about 3 mpg's less than me.. Again, it is a preference a to what YOU want, not to what other people think. I would spend that money in other items if it were me..
IrishBullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
rha600
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: hollywood, florida
Posts: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueStatus View Post
I'm glad you know what I mean with where I live, the hills can be quite big and a lot of them ... Good to hear your opinion on the 4.10s too thats helpful. so now im between 4.56s and 4.88s. Do you know anything bad about a 4.88 gear set? the only reason I ask is because they are about $70 cheaper then the 4.56 on quadratec
Can't say anything about the taller gears as I've never had them. I used to go hunting up in Bradford county so I have been up in those hills a bit. When I had my GMC Sonoma it used to downshift like hell on those hills so I used to just leave it in D instead of the OD. The Jeep doesn't have that option unless you shift manually and leave it in 4th.

what sucks is that it probably doesn't even need to downshift (specifically for me down here) but you really can't force it to stay in 5th.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 11,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueStatus View Post
...dumb question, i need to replace the gears in the rear AND front axles, right?...
Not a dumb question at all and yes, changing gears in both front and rear diffs is mandatory.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #29
JoonHoss
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueStatus View Post

haha im not fully expecting them to pay for it all, but in all complete honesty if you were in my situation wouldn't you atleast try? I mean, if they wanted to do it right they should have put the proper gears in to begin with...
No.

It's really more about preference, and personal taste, combined with driving habits and terrain driven. They can't setup and sell each vehicle for every new owner specifically. You can order based on your needs and wants, but you bought the Jeep, all the options were listed, and I'm guessing no one held a gun to your head while signing?

You can get a jeep with 3.21, 3.73, and 4.10 gears, in either an auto or manual set-up from the factory. Based on that, what are the proper gears???

It depends on who's driving, where they drive, and what they expect?

Many here report being quite happy with 35's and 3.73's on the new 3.6, while others say you need 4.88's. Some even have the 3.21's and don't mind.

I won't argue with anyone on their preference for gearing, but almost every setup has fans and detractors.

My guess would be that if they installed 4.88 gears @ dealership, we'd be seeing another thread by another new owner asking why their New Jeep only gets 14 MPG...



Hoss
__________________
Quote:
It's hard to say no to yoo-hoo, the name literally beckons...

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #30
dualtjs
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600 View Post
...even at highway speeds (70+mph and 2500 RPMs) my rubi with 4.10s and 35s ....
Something is wrong with these numbers. The 5 speed in a 2013 has a 5th gear that's 0.79. If you have 4.10's and 35" tires, at 70 mph, you should be right a little more than 2,200 RPM. 2,500 RPM should be 76 mph.

edit to correct #s
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.