Proper gearing for 35" tires on '13 auto wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Proper gearing for 35" tires on '13 auto wrangler

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Proper gearing for 35" tires on '13 auto wrangler

It has come to my attention that the gearing in my '13 sahara unlimited could use a bit if an upgrade to compensate for the 35" nitto trail grappler tires i have on it right now. It isnt aweful up hills but it could use a boost, especially when the AC is turned on... I was searching and found gears here http://www.quadratec.com/products/52440_040X_B_PG.htm my problem is the proper gearing to get. Its the 5 speed automatic trans currently has 3.73 ratio in with the factory installed limited slip dif.

Any help appreciated as im still new to all this.

Unread 05-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Check out the gear/tire tables in the FAQ section, make sure to check out the ones for the 3.6 and not the 3.8...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Check out the gear/tire tables in the FAQ section, make sure to check out the ones for the 3.6 and not the 3.8...
I was reading through it and all i noticed was for the 3.8..? Unless i wasent looking in the right spot.
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

Define "proper gearing". I mean 3.73 should be just fine with 35s unless maybe you're driving up and down some really steep hills? I had the 4.10 option in mine and although I live in a state that is flatter than Kate Moss, they seem fine.

Are you looking to get something so it's not constantly downshifting on hills?
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600 View Post
Define "proper gearing". I mean 3.73 should be just fine with 35s unless maybe you're driving up and down some really steep hills? I had the 4.10 option in mine and although I live in a state that is flatter than Kate Moss, they seem fine.

Are you looking to get something so it's not constantly downshifting on hills?
Yeah i mean on flat ground its no problem at all with it, but i do have some supe steep hills i encounter and it seems to be downshifting alot to make it up, especially when the AC is on and kicking.. I dont want to be putting excess strain on the drivetrain, plus it would be nice to be able to get out of my own way going up big hills haha
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Waita minute, I thought the Pentastar (2012/2013) was gonna take care of all the problems that the 3.8l/auto jeep had-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueStatus View Post
Yeah i mean on flat ground its no problem at all with it, but i do have some supe steep hills i encounter and it seems to be downshifting alot to make it up, especially when the AC is on and kicking.. I dont want to be putting excess strain on the drivetrain, plus it would be nice to be able to get out of my own way going up big hills haha
I guess it's not true HUH?

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

35ís and 4.10s are a great combo for the Pentastar with auto trans. Hills are no problem whatsoever. Since you are contemplating a gear change you might want to think about maybe stepping up to 4.56 however depending on what you plan to do and how you plan on using your Jeep.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Waita minute, I thought the Pentastar (2012/2013) was gonna take care of all the problems that the 3.8l/auto jeep had-

I guess it's not true HUH?

JIMBO
Hahaha apparently not

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
35’s and 4.10s are a great combo for the Pentastar with auto trans. Hills are no problem whatsoever. Since you are contemplating a gear change you might want to think about maybe stepping up to 4.56 however depending on what you plan to do and how you plan on using your Jeep.
I plan to do some normal offroading, no rock crawling at all really i dont wanna bang it up too much haha. Its my daily driver so i want it to be able to drive smoothly when i encounter steep hills and highway cruising. Would i be better off with the 4.56 gears? I read about 5.38s but that was all in the talk about the 3.8l with the old 4 speed trans...
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

I went with 4.56's and a 6-speed. Its great for 35's and it will be perfect with a lighter 37" tire.
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacal_rick View Post
I went with 4.56's and a 6-speed. Its great for 35's and it will be perfect with a lighter 37" tire.
isnt the 6 speed manual trans with gearing gonna be different then my 5 speed auto with gearing?

Im gonna go back to the dealership over the weekend and talk to them since they are the ones who did the 35" tires and lift originally and see what theu have to say. You would think they would have done proper gears with the tires since they did all that stuff before they sold it to me
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes, it will be different from the auto to the manual. If I were you, I wouldnt re-gear till I went bigger in tire size. I drove and wheeled on 3.21's for almost a year...and it worked. I had to burn the clutch a few times, and 4-high was useless, but I could keep up. 3.73's and 35's wouldn't be worth the cost of a re-gear to me. I would only re-gear at 37's
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

4:10 only comes with a Rubi and is an option with the auto on a Rubi only. Gears at a dealer is going to be very expensive. Might be half of what the rubi would have cost out the door. Our rubi on 35"s(mtrks with steel 15 inch rims) auto 4:10 can light the tires with half pedal. It will go to 4th up hills but as it should. at 70 if i floor it it goes to 3rd and pulls like a team of wild horses. hits 95 before i pass an 18 wheeler. 2d no top no doors, thing is rather fast for a Jeep. Its not my 454z28 but still for a Jeep the thing is a beast. Still bets 18-19 at 65 and 14-17 in town. depends on how I drive it. But fact is i could care less on the MPG
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueStatus View Post
isnt the 6 speed manual trans with gearing gonna be different then my 5 speed auto with gearing?

Im gonna go back to the dealership over the weekend and talk to them since they are the ones who did the 35" tires and lift originally and see what theu have to say. You would think they would have done proper gears with the tires since they did all that stuff before they sold it to me
The only JK's that I've seen where mods were made that included gearing are the AEV packages, which run $60K or more.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
4:10 only comes with a Rubi and is an option with the auto on a Rubi only. Gears at a dealer is going to be very expensive. Might be half of what the rubi would have cost out the door. Our rubi on 35"s(mtrks with steel 15 inch rims) auto 4:10 can light the tires with half pedal. It will go to 4th up hills but as it should. at 70 if i floor it it goes to 3rd and pulls like a team of wild horses. hits 95 before i pass an 18 wheeler. 2d no top no doors, thing is rather fast for a Jeep. Its not my 454z28 but still for a Jeep the thing is a beast. Still bets 18-19 at 65 and 14-17 in town. depends on how I drive it. But fact is i could care less on the MPG
Im not planning to buy the gears from the dealer at all, they modified the jeep amd then sold it to me but didnt do anything to the gears just left stock 3.73 in. Im gonna see if they can do anything about it, if not ill buy something different to put in... Just trying to get an overall idea as to what gears would be best for me. Seems like 4.10s or 4.56 might be the best route for steep hills etc...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs View Post
The only JK's that I've seen where mods were made that included gearing are the AEV packages, which run $60K or more.
Yeah i know AEV modded wranglers usually do it right, but im hoping since my dealership is starting this as a new option line by modding them like they did mine they will stand behind it (since its only got 280 miles) and install better gears since they put the tires on. Plus, this will allow them to know better what to do for future modding. The guys that do it are real good with stuff and own heavily modified JK wranglers themselves
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
jharkey

I have a2012 auto with 4:88 and 35 inch tires. Seems slight overkill to me I think 4:56. Maybe someone else will chime in
jharkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.