Project Rock Sliders - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Project Rock Sliders

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If mom has to come stay with him everytime it rains, then he should seek professional help. (for everybody else it was raining in chicago yesterday)

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Okay, before everyone busts my nads, we didn't even finish 1 jeep! To many breaks and trail stories! Guess I work better alone. Here's some pics, design follows Ace.
This is the Harbor Freight pipe notcher for 49 bucks. Actually well built.

One side 85%

Break time plays with toys
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #18
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I will post critical mount measurements when done. I am making two JKU sets, one is bolt on, and mine for my jeep will weld on. The two door 99 wrangler is on hold until after his wedding.
I have another bud wanting to do a two door 2011 though so we may do it soon. BTW his 2011 is a 3.8, I thought ALL 2011 were 3.6????
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repauli1
I will post critical mount measurements when done. I am making two JKU sets, one is bolt on, and mine for my jeep will weld on.
I discovered the easiest way to make duplicate bends on the HF pipe bender is to lay a straight edge across top roller supports and measure first bend from top of pipe to bottom of straight edge. Do this under pressure or relaxed, but always the same method, the bends replicate perfect then.

On notcher I need a hole saw a quarter of an inch deeper, had to rotate all cuts and cut from back side because I was bottoming out hole saw (Lennox).

Use a lot of spray on oil on drill shaft so you don't wear out bushings on notcher. I got about twenty cuts, and hole saw is still cutting great. Just go slow and use cutting oil.
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ps, I will say ACE pricing is great considering labor involved to fabricate. And it is also a great design. I am using schedule 40 pipe which is 1.5 inch versus 1.34 that Ace uses, little more beef.
I am not making these to save bucks, I am making them so I can say I made them!

Weight about 50 lbs so far, probably only another 3-5 lbs to finish.
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast
If mom has to come stay with him everytime it rains, then he should seek professional help. (for everybody else it was raining in chicago yesterday)
Mod must have erased my joking comment.
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Progress report:

Welded up other side of first set of sliders, need to add end caps, and mounting brackets yet.

My
Inner support braces notched on HF pipe notcher
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice welds!

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #24
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

+1 on the welds. im in the states for a few weeks soley to practice my mig/tig skills, and when i get back ill also be trying my hand at fabbing up some sliders. they wont look as good as yours but hopefully the welds will!
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #25
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Installed first set, these are welded to frame....
Went to the Cliffs next day, with rain several times thru the week, it was extreme mud, and the drivers side slider kept the body from smacking a tree!

As we were pulling into the park, there was an Fx Toyota in front, I looked at the wife and said we would be winching him out, guess what , not even ten minutes later, he was stuck at bottom of first hill, winched him 110 feet... He said, wow you guys come prepared!
We are extremely busy at work, second and third jeep owners are busy too... As soon as time permits, I will document the second and third builds in detail. I spent about $90 making my set, plus consumables (weld wire, gas, grinding wheels, etc,) so figure another $15 bucks for that stuff, and I slapped on a quick coat of rustoleum paint, due to going trailing ten hours later..
The slider support tubes, welded onto frame, are .75" above the bottom of frame, welding all around was no problem laying on ground. I was able to mount them by myself, I used a floor jack to raise them to where I wanted them, and tacked one end at a time. Next two sets will be bolt on (for the resale minded lol)
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

those things look tasty, id love to see the bolts on documented. will be taking notes! very nice work
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #27
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quick note oh Harbor Freight notcher, buy a good Lennox hole saw with extended pilot bit. Unbolt the drill shaft assembly on HF jig, and just use the clamp to secure pipe. Since the hole saw is not deep enough to go thru a 1.5" pipe in one cut, you need to flip pipe 180 degrees. When you flip it the pilot hole will line you up to make a smooth backside cut.

Now I am wanting a pipe cutting attachment for my CNC plasma water table. I am thinking about designing my own, since the cheapest I have seen is 3 grand! This attachment allows you to make the notches on tubing and pipe at any angle, so you end up with a perfect fit to butt weld together tube joints at any angle. With a HF notcher, it is very SLOW to produce. On my plasma table, I can cut it in seconds! Man I need one BAD!!
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #28
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repauli1 View Post
Quick note oh Harbor Freight notcher, buy a good Lennox hole saw with extended pilot bit. Unbolt the drill shaft assembly on HF jig, and just use the clamp to secure pipe. Since the hole saw is not deep enough to go thru a 1.5" pipe in one cut, you need to flip pipe 180 degrees. When you flip it the pilot hole will line you up to make a smooth backside cut...

Curious, why are you cutting a hole straight thru the pipe like that? I’ve been notching round and square tubing for quite a few years and have never once done it like that. Also no pilot bit is used.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #29
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222

Curious, why are you cutting a hole straight thru the pipe like that? I’ve been notching round and square tubing for quite a few years and have never once done it like that. Also no pilot bit is used.
I am all ears... You using a torch to notch or plasma? It's very accurate no grinding needed.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #30
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

No I use a tube notcher too (different brand) but just not the way you are doing it. What I do is measure accurately the correct length needed and add a half-inch to that measurement. Make a mark on the tubing a half-inch on the end you want to notch and clamp the tubing in the notcher to where the outer teeth of the hole saw line up with that mark. Then just start the notching proses and it will cut all the way through all in one try.

Remember though that you cannot have the hole saw arbor installed; just attach the hole saw itself directly to the notchers shaft.

You can cut just about any angle you wish depending on the limits of the notcher.

If you need a pic to help out in seeing what Iím talking about let me know and Iíll post one up for you. Better yet hereís a YouTube showing you an angle cut. It shows using lube and that is very important to extend the life of the cutter.

1222 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.