Programing a third key for 2011 Wrangler JK - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Programing a third key for 2011 Wrangler JK

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 05-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #31
mabar
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwidejosh View Post
Second or third key?

I've found no option to do the 2nd key except the dealer.
You must, must, MUST (repeat MUST) have two working transponder keys to self-program additional keys.

If you only have one working transponder key, you must go to a dealer, locksmith, or hardware store that has the programming equipment to program a second key.

Then, you are good to go in self-programming additional keys.

Mabar

The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
mabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #32
kg4wrq
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolbydarma View Post
just to add about making the door key (non-transponder key) I have read, but not confirmed, that if you try to start your Jeep with a non programmed key the Jeep will go into a safe mode which disables the vehicle. This apparently can only be repaired at the dealer.

Like I said, this is what I have read, but not confirmed. So to be safe my hidden key is a programmed key.
Several years ago, after I had a non-transponder key made, I tried to start my '03 Sahara with the new key, just for grins. It attempted to start, but then quickly shut down. It did not cause any problems, the factory key could then start 'er up, and I've not seen any problems.
kg4wrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

What if i only have one original key? Sorry didn see it
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #34
kg4wrq
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
What if i only have one original key? Sorry didn see it
It may have been in another thread, but I read you would be SOL and have to go to the dealer. We should "google it" and see if that is really the case. I'm fortunate that I still have both. My wife has kept my extra OEM key.
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #35
kg4wrq
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4wrq View Post
It may have been in another thread, but I read you would be SOL and have to go to the dealer. We should "google it" and see if that is really the case. I'm fortunate that I still have both. My wife has kept my extra OEM key.
Update: A sign at Home Depot said that they dup a transponder key and "save $50". I asked about my '03 Sahara, and he quoted me $70. They only need one key to do it.

A friend tells me that there are indies that will do it for much less.
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #36
kgginslc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Expensive lesson learned

If you only have one original key, and go to the locksmith for programming a second key, that second key is a duplicate of the first. It will not act as a second original key for purposes of programming a third key.

If you go to the dealer, you can get a second "original" that you can use to program additional keys on your own.

So, if you only have one original - go to the dealer for programming. If you have two original keys, do it yourself.

This was all for a 2006 Wrangler, but I'd guess it's the same for current jeeps.
kgginslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #37
kg4wrq
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgginslc View Post
If you only have one original key, and go to the locksmith for programming a second key, that second key is a duplicate of the first. It will not act as a second original key for purposes of programming a third key.

If you go to the dealer, you can get a second "original" that you can use to program additional keys on your own.

So, if you only have one original - go to the dealer for programming. If you have two original keys, do it yourself.

This was all for a 2006 Wrangler, but I'd guess it's the same for current jeeps.
I've not obtained a dealer quote, but on another JeepForum thread it was said to be over $100 and up to $130. It was also quoted that some Walmarts could dup an original for a little over $39. If it were me, I would go the cheap route and have a couple of clones made, and save my money. If I were someone that just "had to have" a second original, I shop around the Jeep dealerships for the best price.

In other news; I have both my originals. I bought a blank of ebay for $7.39 (includes S&H), and a local hardware store cut it for $1. It took me a couple of minutes to program it in my Jeep.
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #38
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

If anyone finds or knows of a key I can program that has four buttons please PM me a link! I have been searching for one that has:
Remote start
Panic
Lock
Unlock

That's not too much to ask right. Also, the flip out keys are pretty coll, but I have only seen the 2 and 3 button versions.

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #39
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
If anyone finds or knows of a key I can program that has four buttons please PM me a link! I have been searching for one that has:
Remote start
Panic
Lock
Unlock

That's not too much to ask right. Also, the flip out keys are pretty coll, but I have only seen the 2 and 3 button versions.
Have you looked ebay?
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #40
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29

Have you looked ebay?
Yea

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #41
EDG
2011 JK Wrangler 

2011 jk rubicon went to locksmith for third key he said no problem didn't work they changed computer setup went to the dealer said key had to be programmed 100 dollars the key would open doors engine would start then die. a week later chrysler called and i unloaded on the poor girl told her i was upset. She called back three days later said said she called around got prices from other dealers then called my dealer they agreed to program the key for fifty bucks works fine now locksmith wanted twenty-five for the key when it wouldn't work gave it for to me for five bucks my jeep wouldn't workdoing the matching sequence that has been posted ed
EDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #42
kg4wrq
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here are two links on how to do a transponder bypass. You do have to have at least one transponder key. You will have some non-transponders cut, then "semi-permanently" mount the transponder key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=reSyRjBap90

http://zomobo.net/play.php?id=X07aa5mYEZk

Tom
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #43
RichCapeCod
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've made JK keys for two Jeep Saharas (a 2009 and a 2011 -I reside in AZ and Cape Cod so need two!), plus for a buddy's Jeep 2013 four-door (I gave him one of the two keys I bought for my 2011 -- worked just fine).

Very simple procedure. Bought my keys from Amazon. Very inexpensive (around $20 bucks for two of them).

Keep in mind, if you've locked your Jeep using the fob and unlock it with another key, the alarm will sound. Just start up the Jeep and all will be well with the world.

I now hide a non-transponder key on my Jeep and a functioning transponder key inside the vehicle. Never be stranded that way!
RichCapeCod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #44
kg4wrq
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Keep in mind, if you've locked your Jeep using the fob and unlock it with another key, the alarm will sound. Just start up the Jeep and all will be well with the world.
They put alarms in Wranglers now?
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #45
RichCapeCod
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4wrq View Post
They put alarms in Wranglers now?
Sure do! And electric windows, AC, satellite radio, auto tranny, lots of keen stuff!

RichCapeCod is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.