JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Programing a third key for 2011 Wrangler JK (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/programing-third-key-2011-wrangler-jk-1156474/)

Dolbydarma 01-20-2011 06:07 PM

Programing a third key for 2011 Wrangler JK

I thought I would post this since there seems to be a lot of unsure/bad info out there as far as programing a third key for a 2011 Wrangler. I even got all kinds of different info from my 2 local Jeep dealer service departments.

I am not a dealer or a mechanic or anything of the sort, but I did all this myself today with great results.

So here is what I actually found out (and did).

I have a 2011 Wrangler JK unlimited sport without power locks. So this info is for a basic key with a chip. (no info on keyless remote key)

Yes you can buy blanks on-line. I paid $20 including shipping for a gray generic key with a transponder.

The website said it was good for Wrangler's up to 2010. The key does work for a 2011 - at least it worked on mine. :thumbsup:

You can get it cut at Home Depot or Lowes - you do not need to have the dealer cut the key.

You can program it yourself at home as long as you have two working keys still.

first: put in your first key and turn it to "on" position (don't turn on Jeep) and leave in "on" position for about 10-15 seconds.

second: turn first key off and do first step again but with your second key and leave in "on" position for about 10-15 seconds

third: turn off 2nd key and put in your new key and turn to "on" position like the last two, leave in for about 20 seconds.

remove third key.

third key should now be programmed.

Hope this helps.
Worked for me.

JLC08JK 01-20-2011 07:48 PM

Thanks for the post :thumbsup:
I'm going to add this to the F.A.Q.
:tea:

CoriolisSTORM 01-20-2011 07:53 PM

Lowes couldn't cut me a key to get into my JK. Their machine wouldn't get the little tab on the end of my key right.

Dolbydarma 01-20-2011 08:15 PM

The guy at Home Depot cut my key...

I found the key on E-bay with part #692352 by Strattec

crna 01-20-2011 08:57 PM

I have a 2011 Sahara with remote start, power locks. I bought a non remote key at a locksmith and reprogrammed it myself. The key was $20. I also bought a key at lowe's to hide in the frame in case I ever get locked out (obviously not needing to be programmed).

Once again, if you folks would read your owner's manual, there are specific instructions on what needs to be done to program keys for your vehicle. DO NOT take it to the dealer. You can do it in your garage in less than 5 minutes if you follow the directions.

Dolbydarma 01-20-2011 09:44 PM

just to add about making the door key (non-transponder key) I have read, but not confirmed, that if you try to start your Jeep with a non programmed key the Jeep will go into a safe mode which disables the vehicle. This apparently can only be repaired at the dealer.

Like I said, this is what I have read, but not confirmed. So to be safe my hidden key is a programmed key.

crna 01-21-2011 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolbydarma (Post 10824935)
just to add about making the door key (non-transponder key) I have read, but not confirmed, that if you try to start your Jeep with a non programmed key the Jeep will go into a safe mode which disables the vehicle. This apparently can only be repaired at the dealer.

Like I said, this is what I have read, but not confirmed. So to be safe my hidden key is a programmed key.

isn't that the point of having a transponder key?

im-ocd 01-21-2011 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolbydarma (Post 10823430)
So here is what I actually found out (and did).

The website said it was good for Wrangler's up to 2010. The key does work for a 2011 - at least it worked on mine. :thumbsup:

third key should now be programmed.

Worked for me.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by crna (Post 10825836)
isn't that the point of having a transponder key?

I'm assuming the OP means if you don't do the steps that were outlined, like buy the key but not "program" it, the Jeep would go into "safe mode".

Right?

Dolbydarma 01-21-2011 06:51 AM

That's what I have heard.

So since the third programmed key was only $20 I figured it was worth having the hidden key be one that could open the Jeep and start it. Didn't want to accidentally try to start my Jeep one day with a non-programmed key and get even more stranded.

Igiveup 01-21-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

I don't know about the newer jeeps but that is not true for the '07. Not even thinking about the transponder thing I had a key cut for my '07.. After having it start and die six times the lightbulb finally went on. :rolleyes: It started right up with the transponder key. It's been several months since the memory lapse and I've had no problems.

gogogooch 01-21-2011 11:14 AM

I got 2 extra keys and programmed them myself using the technique above with no problem. Only issue is when I unlock the door the alarm horn will go off until I put the key in the ignition and turn it on.

Also - depending on where you are at, some Lowes and Home Depots will *not* cut keys that they dont sell. My Home Depot would not cut my keys.

Apparently they had some lame lawsuit from someone whose chip key broke or broke their lock and Home Depot had to pay a few grand out of pocket. My local hardware store cut it no problem.

Green08 01-22-2011 03:34 AM

Quote:

I started mine with a standard key I got cut for the door and after a few secs it shut off. I then used the programmed key to start it without issue.

Dogzilla 01-22-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

The "safe mode" is only temporary.....and only after several attempts to start it with a non-transponder key. After a while, the computer WILL reset itself, so that the regular key will work. I think it's several hours, though.

Dolbydarma 01-22-2011 09:17 AM

Several hours... sounds like a good excuse to extend the camping trip on more day! :tea:

mabar 01-22-2011 06:57 PM

From page 17 & 18 out of the 2011 Wrangler Owner's Manual:

Quote:

At the time of purchase, the original owner is provided
with a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN).
Keep the PIN in a secure location. This number is
required for authorized dealer replacement of keys. Duplication
of keys may be performed at an authorized
dealer or by following the customer key programming
procedure. This procedure consists of programming a
blank key to the vehicle electronics. A blank key is one
that has never been programmed.
NOTE: When having the Sentry Key Immobilizer
System serviced, bring all vehicle keys with you to an
authorized dealer.

Customer Key Programming
If you have two valid Sentry Keys, you can program
new Sentry Keys to the system by performing the
following procedure:

1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s)
to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn
the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position for at least
three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds. Then, turn
the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the
first key.

3. Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within
15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound. In
addition, the Vehicle Security Light will begin to flash.
Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and
remove the second key.

4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within
60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound.
In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will stop flashing.
To indicate that programming is complete, the Vehicle
Security Light will turn on again for three seconds and
then turn off.

The new Sentry Key is programmed. The Remote
Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter will also be programmed
during this procedure.
Repeat this procedure to program up to eight keys. If you
do not have a programmed Sentry Key, contact your
authorized dealer for details.

NOTE: If a programmed key is lost, see your authorized
dealer to have all remaining keys erased from the systemís
memory. This will prevent the lost key from