Procal And Superchip? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Procal And Superchip?

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
10rubi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Procal And Superchip?

I am currently using a Superchip on my Rubi and I am very satisfied with it, however; my AEV premium lift will come with the Procal.

My question is since the Procal does not adjust the power of the truck i.e advancing spark and shift points but does have other useful features. Could you use both together and if so would there be any benefit of doing so.

10rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

There is another thread on here where AEV said yes....... Can't remember where it is but it should be easy to find .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
10rubi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
There is another thread on here where AEV said yes....... Can't remember where it is but it should be easy to find .
Thanks,

I did a search and cant find anything. I don't see why you couldn't use both and get the best out of each that you want. Scared to try it though.
10rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

On my wife's rig, we have run a ProCal on top of a Flashpaq for about a year now.

The ProCal is merely a calibration tool. We used it for the TPMS delete prior to the feature becoming available on the Flashpaq. We also use it for centering the steering wheel and a few other things.

The ProCal really is unnecessary. You can sell it and use the money for other modifications. I have just been too lazy to sell our ProCal.
planman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

I just pmed you an email address which will help ........
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10rubi View Post
Thanks,

I did a search and cant find anything. I don't see why you couldn't use both and get the best out of each that you want. Scared to try it though.
Superchips says not to stack different programmers, as it can cause unknown problems and that they will not be liable if any occur.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Do you take Paypal?
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
Superchips says not to stack different programmers, as it can cause unknown problems and that they will not be liable if any occur.
The ProCal is not a programmer. It is a calibrator. I will not tune anything.
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
The ProCal is not a programmer. It is a calibrator. I will not tune anything.
Ok, so the Procal does not work if it's not plugged into the OBD port, whereas the Flashpaq writes the code to the PCM/ECU and is then unplugged?

My paranoia is that differing aftermarket products that communicate with the electronic control systems are not tested/certified compatible with each other. Planes have crashed because of electronic components fighting each other over which one has priority.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

In all reality, if you download the Off-Road only update from Superchips that allows you to turn off the TPMS, the only features you would ever consider using on the ProCal would be:
  • using it to tell you when the steering wheel is centered
  • daytime running lamps for the fogs
  • on-touch lane changes for the turning signal
  • turn off the Rubi swaybar system if you replace it with a Currie Anti-Rock

Other than that, there would be no use for the ProCal because the Superchips does everything else.

I don't know what would happen if you set the axle ratio with the Superchips and then tried to change it with the ProCal. Probably nothing, but there is no need to do it.

The ProCal does no tuning. It does nothing with the fuel advance or air/fuel mixture.

This will tell you what the ProCal can do:

http://www.aev-conversions.com/pdf/i...User_Guide.pdf
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
mfrnka
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Planman. Cleared up a few questions I had before ordering.
mfrnka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
BenderX
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
Ok, so the Procal does not work if it's not plugged into the OBD port, whereas the Flashpaq writes the code to the PCM/ECU and is then unplugged?

My paranoia is that differing aftermarket products that communicate with the electronic control systems are not tested/certified compatible with each other. Planes have crashed because of electronic components fighting each other over which one has priority.
planman sized things up really well in a later post, but just to confirm:

With the ProCal, you make all your settings and then plug it in to the OBD port to calibrate and set things, then you unplug it. With 35s, the biggest value of the ProCal for me was to heal the speedo and calibrate the skid-control traction-control for the bigger tires. Everything else was bonus.

It's not changing the fuel mapping anywhere (e.g. in the ECU) to give you more horsepower or higher fuel economy.
BenderX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
JK Wrangler , procal , review , superchips , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.