Procal issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Procal issues?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 08-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
mfinn
2014 JK Wrangler 

Procal issues?

Has anyone has problems with their transmissions after using a AEV Procal Module?
I bought one and used it on my 14 JK after putting on 35" tires.
It's pretty simple and straight forward instructions, so it's hard to screw up.
About 3 weeks after using mine I had a problem and my Jeep had to be towed back to the dealer. At first they thought it was the torque converter locking up, which they said could be fixed in a couple days since the parts were close by.
Friday I got a call from the service manager and he said the guy working on the Jeep said it looked more like a problem with the transmission computer and the parts had to come from Milwaukee and they are keeping my Jeep until atleast next Friday.

I am seriously bummed that a new Jeep with 1676 miles on it is in the shop and that I had to attend a family reunion at the ocean in a Chrysler 200 instead of a Jeep.

I saw there were some threads on the Procal module but didn't see anyone having a problem.
Did I miss something?

mfinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

I know with the '12s it took a couple of tries before it would take when plugging in for a gear change. You might contact AEV.
Unread 08-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

It's not just the ProCal, there's been sporadic transmission problems with all the tuners and the '13 and '14 Wranglers.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
mfinn
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
It's not just the ProCal, there's been sporadic transmission problems with all the tuners and the '13 and '14 Wranglers.

So this is a issue with the 13-14 Wranglers and not the tuners?
Unread 08-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo
So he has to take it to the dealer then?
Unread 08-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
mfinn
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwhipple View Post
So he has to take it to the dealer then?

mine is at the dealer now.
Unread 08-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
mfinn
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm also curious, what do the dealers use to make the proper adjustments when they sell a new Jeep that has oversized tires?
Unread 08-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

As it's brand new, yeah definitely take it to the dealer, but make sure you remove the adjustments made by the ProCal first.....so you don't turn the ProCal into a paperweight when they flash the computer....and to make sure they don't blame you for using a tuner and void the warranty.
Before going to the dealer, you can try disconnecting the battery cable for 15-20 minutes and drain the charge from the system, hopefully that will clear the computer and get rid of your issue.
Unread 08-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
I'm also curious, what do the dealers use to make the proper adjustments when they sell a new Jeep that has oversized tires?
Jeep dealers have a set of values plugged into their computer they can program for tire sizes, and it's only a range of tires that they sell on their vehicles (I saw the tech letter directly from Chrysler posted in the shop). When they used the Starscan they could program up to 35" tires, but when I was talking to the tech supervisor at the local dealership they use what almost looks like a ProCal, with wifi built in to program the jeep computers, and they are no longer allowed to program for oversized tires.
Now, having said that....These dealerships will install and "warranty" lifts, and threaten to kill your warranty if you install a lift....they will do the same with SC or AEV programmers, install and warranty them, and threaten to kill your warranty if you use one.
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
mfinn
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
As it's brand new, yeah definitely take it to the dealer, but make sure you remove the adjustments made by the ProCal first.....so you don't turn the ProCal into a paperweight when they flash the computer....and to make sure they don't blame you for using a tuner and void the warranty.
Before going to the dealer, you can try disconnecting the battery cable for 15-20 minutes and drain the charge from the system, hopefully that will clear the computer and get rid of your issue.

When I first had my problem I was at a store a couple miles from home. The motor died on me as I was pulling up to the store. I put it in park and it started right up. No problem. Came out of the store and started it up, put it in reverse ( auto) and it killed the motor like if it was a stick and the brake was on.
After calling Jeep road side service, while waiting for a tow truck, I decided to use the Procal and restore the original settings. One reason was to see if it made a difference with it running and also I didn't want them to see different setting in the computer.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/1...-down-2640130/
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
When I first had my problem I was at a store a couple miles from home. The motor died on me as I was pulling up to the store. I put it in park and it started right up. No problem. Came out of the store and started it up, put it in reverse ( auto) and it killed the motor like if it was a stick and the brake was on.
After calling Jeep road side service, while waiting for a tow truck, I decided to use the Procal and restore the original settings. One reason was to see if it made a difference with it running and also I didn't want them to see different setting in the computer.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/1...-down-2640130/
Smart man, and great idea.....hopefully it's not associated with the tuner at all, but good idea to remove it from the equation.
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
mfinn
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Jeep dealers have a set of values plugged into their computer they can program for tire sizes, and it's only a range of tires that they sell on their vehicles (I saw the tech letter directly from Chrysler posted in the shop). When they used the Starscan they could program up to 35" tires, but when I was talking to the tech supervisor at the local dealership they use what almost looks like a ProCal, with wifi built in to program the jeep computers, and they are no longer allowed to program for oversized tires.
Now, having said that....These dealerships will install and "warranty" lifts, and threaten to kill your warranty if you install a lift....they will do the same with SC or AEV programmers, install and warranty them, and threaten to kill your warranty if you use one.

The service manager did not say a thing about the lift or the size of the tires, and made very clear it was a warrant issue and made sure I had a loaner car.

I asked him what they did for correcting the tire/speedometer issue on the Jeeps they sold with lifts and larger tires. ( there were 2 sitting on the lot with 35's)
He said he would look into it for me.
When I get it back ( fixed) and the dealer doesn't do the fix, I don't think I want to use this Procal module anymore.
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
MoparToYou
2014 JK Wrangler 

The only Procal issue I have had with my 2014 is the tire size algorithm not being accurate. They say to measure the height of your tires and program that measurement into the Procal to set your speedometer correctly. I measured my tires and came up with 34 1/4" tall (35" Toyo MTs). If I put that setting in my Procal my speedometer reads faster than I am really going, based on my own plug in GPS. It took a few times of trial and error to get the speedometer to match the GPS, but what I finally came up with, is that I needed to set the Procal to say I had 33 1/4" tall tires, even though they are really 34 1/4" tall. With that setting my speedometer exactly matches my GPS reading.
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
mfinn
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparToYou View Post
The only Procal issue I have had with my 2014 is the tire size algorithm not being accurate. They say to measure the height of your tires and program that measurement into the Procal to set your speedometer correctly. I measured my tires and came up with 34 1/4" tall (35" Toyo MTs). If I put that setting in my Procal my speedometer reads faster than I am really going, based on my own plug in GPS. It took a few times of trial and error to get the speedometer to match the GPS, but what I finally came up with, is that I needed to set the Procal to say I had 33 1/4" tall tires, even though they are really 34 1/4" tall. With that setting my speedometer exactly matches my GPS reading.

Yeah, mine was off by 2-3 mph at 60. ( under) matching it with my Garmin GPS. I was going to do a little experimenting, but the bigger issue came into play.
Unread 08-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
gottav8
2014 JK Wrangler 

I am running a ProCal on my 2014 JKU with AEV lift Auto trans and 35Toyo M/T'
So far no problems .
gottav8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.