Problems with RK Coils - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Problems with RK Coils

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Closed Thread
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #46
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

More pictures of the coils as requested. Please Let me know if you require more.

Walle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #47
RockKrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle View Post
Here...another angle of the coils and more pics of my JK

And if Justin wasn't finished...then why did he take my CC info and ship me replacement coils????

As far as the alignment printout, I do not have one. Just like any other competent Jeep owner with the proper tools, I set my alignment along worth the help of fellow Jeep owners that align their Jeeps.

Even IF it was [I]slightly[/] off, the coils shouldn't bend that much.
Do you happen to have any pictures of the coils sitting in the vehicle so we can see them? From those general images, there does not seem to be any vehicle lean or anything that would be indicative of even having a bad coil spring. How recent are the images?

I was not privy to your conversations with Justin other than asking him if he had gotten the info from you regarding this situation and the images we need to process it. Did he not ask you for the images to process this as a warranty or did you just purchase them?

JP
RockKrawler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #48
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

As far as correcting 'the problem' on my end. There is no need. I have a completely new and different lift kit, axles, and other mods to my JK than my previous setup. The specs and everything are completely different than before, so there is no need to check my end.

I did call Justin back with my camber, as he requested. I did send him pictures to begin with. He didn't request more, or I would have been more than happy to send more.
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #49
RockKrawler

Quote:
More pictures of the coils as requested. Please Let me know if you require more.
The pictures of them installed in the vehicle! Obviously whatever caused this is being shown now and I am sure they did not look like that when you got them right?

JP
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #50
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockKrawler

Do you happen to have any pictures of the coils sitting in the vehicle so we can see them? From those general images, there does not seem to be any vehicle lean or anything that would be indicative of even having a bad coil spring. How recent are the images?

I was not privy to your conversations with Justin other than asking him if he had gotten the info from you regarding this situation and the images we need to process it. Did he not ask you for the images to process this as a warranty or did you just purchase them?

JP
The ones with the 37s are fairly new. The one with the snow is the newest.

He did not ask for images. I was only asked for the first set of images that I emailed in. He told me after I provided the camber that you guys still could not warranty the coils.
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #51
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockKrawler

The pictures of them installed in the vehicle! Obviously whatever caused this is being shown now and I am sure they did not look like that when you got them right?

JP
I posted the pictures of my Jeep that I have. If I had known there was an issue with my coils prior to finding the issue, I would have take a ton of pictures for you. But I didn't know my coils were bent until later on. I didn't even know they were bent until the day after I took them off bc I was doing an axle swap.

And obviously the coils did not arrive at my location looking like that. If they had, I'm sure we would've talked before now.
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #52
RockKrawler

Obviously there was a communication break down someplace with the required information that we would have been looking for and from the sounds of it, we cannot even get that information.

If you would like, just give me a call in the office at 518-270-9822.

Jeremy
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #53
RockKrawler

To all of you following this thread, I would like to see your response to this! We are using this thread for training.

If you were to be in a manufacturer's position and had items that required customer intervention of some form or another, would you just handle it blindly? How would you like to see it handled? What we have seen from experience, is that just blindly warrantiing any item generally puts a customer in a worse position in the long run which is what no one wants to see. It is easy to say for many "RK just warranty the coils", but what if something really went wrong for this gentleman and we had an opportunity to catch it prior to that event.

Jeremy
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #54
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockKrawler View Post
To all of you following this thread, I would like to see your response to this! We are using this thread for training.

If you were to be in a manufacturer's position and had items that required customer intervention of some form or another, would you just handle it blindly? How would you like to see it handled? What we have seen from experience, is that just blindly warrantiing any item generally puts a customer in a worse position in the long run which is what no one wants to see. It is easy to say for many "RK just warranty the coils", but what if something really went wrong for this gentleman and we had an opportunity to catch it prior to that event.

Jeremy
Since I started all this...I will be the first to respond.

If you were to be in a manufacturer's position and had items that required customer intervention of some form or another, would you just handle it blindly? How would you like to see it handled?

I don't think I would necessarily handle it 'blindly'. I would have, in place, a database or some system to track trends. Analyze the data for trends. What is common? What is abnormal? Obviously my situation is abnormal. That is the reason I started this thread.

I would collect as much information and data about the situation as possible, but I would take care of the customer. Some companies are more worried about being 'ripped off' or 'taken advantage of' more than taking care of their true customers. If companies spent more time taking care of the customers and worrying about the 98% of their true customers and not worrying about the 2% that may be 'taking advantage of the system', then things like this wouldn't happen.

If you don't take care of your customers, someone else will!

Just my $0.02

Unread 12-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #55
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockKrawler View Post
To all of you following this thread, I would like to see your response to this! We are using this thread for training...
I have a question for you. If you believe that it was an alignment issue that caused them to bow like that then wouldn’t it (alignment) have to be grossly off for that to happen? And if it were grossly off then wouldn’t his Jeep handle like crap?

I am no expert in front suspensions and am learning as I go. I am not questioning your expertise in this matter at all; just curious how they could have ended up like that if they weren’t defective to begin with.
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #56
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE

I just hung up the phone after talking with Jeremy at RK for about 30 minutes. First off, I was EXTREMELY impressed by the professionalism and the way Jeremy holds himself.

I never had any problems with the lift, only the front coils. RK makes an excellent product and there are tons of Jeeps (TJ and JK) running their products. After discussing the breakdown in communication and lack of proof of the correct setup, we determined that the most probable cause for this is the fact that I did NOT have a professional alignment. Jeremy did refund my money for the replacement coils, and they will replace the coils. Problem solved.

NOTE
For anyone reading this thread or that has questions about their coils...ensure you have a professional alignment done. RK WILL warranty the coils, if there is a defect, and you can provide proof of a professional alignment and pictures of you 'current' setup. Coils are not blindly warrantied. In my case, I did not have a professional alignment, and I could not provide pictures as I did an axle swap.

Thanks to Justin, but as far as the issue with Justin (the tech guy), there was a breakdown in communication. End of story.

Once again, I thank Jeremy at RK for handling the situation and taking care of his customer!

Unread 12-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #57
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I have a question for you. If you believe that it was an alignment issue that caused them to bow like that then wouldn’t it (alignment) have to be grossly off for that to happen? And if it were grossly off then wouldn’t his Jeep handle like crap?

I am no expert in front suspensions and am learning as I go. I am not questioning your expertise in this matter at all; just curious how they could have ended up like that if they weren’t defective to begin with.
Jeremy said that by being off just by 2* could cause this issue, which could happen by not putting the JK on a rack for an alignment.

And my Jeep didn't handle like crap...
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #58
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Jeremy,

I would add an alignment detail to your RK Warranty because there are nothing in there now. Just a thought...
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #59
RockKrawler

Thanks Leonard glad we had the chance to talk and clear it up.

Our only intention is to ensure things are properly setup and make sure the customer is happy in the long run.

For everyone's knowledge- in general, an item that involves customer intervention, we require proof of proper setup. For coils, we need pictures of them installed showing them from a side view and front view as well as the alignment sheet from a professional alignment shop.

It is darn near impossible to get an accurate alignment without doing a full caster sweep. Otherwise, the potential for error is huge. Even being out only 2 degrees for the bottom spring pads will create an issue like this and typically you will see one coil bow more than the other. Just from looking at the coils themselves one coil body is straight, but the bottom is upset and the other coil shows a bow in the body with an upset bottom. This is not indiicative of a symetrical setup. This is not done to give a customer a hard time or anything, but if there is an issue someplace we want it solved and never to come back again and sometimes that requires more than a blind warranty.

But again, I would really like to hear from those of you following this thread as to how this could better be handled or how you would handle it knowing the risks involved?

Be good Leonard! We will keep watching this thread as we would like to hear from you all regarding the above question.

JP
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #60
RockKrawler

Quote:
Jeremy,

I would add an alignment detail to your RK Warranty because there are nothing in there now. Just a thought...
We will be sure to add proper customer setups to our warranty as a disclaimer. We would hope that would go without saying, but we do understand.

Like I said, if it was a bent control arm, it would be one picture and call it a day. Even this is an easy one as long as all the information is there to be presented!

JP
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.