Problems with RK Coils - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Problems with RK Coils

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Closed Thread
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043

This really bugs me.... It would suck to see this be the beginning of the end here for RK, but shiatty customer service is the cardinal sin.

I have the same lift, so will be keeping a close eye on my setup.
It bugs me too...I didn't have any problems with the lift. I noticed the bent coils when I did my axle swap. Now I'm happy that I planned and did the lift swap to the Currie 4" at the time.

Once again, I don't think the lift is bad, and it did what I needed it to do. It just amazes me that they wouldn't replace them. They pride themselves in their warranty....HA!

Unread 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
RyanE5
2012 JK Wrangler 

RK was on the short list of lifts I was looking at getting for my JK, not anymore after I read this!
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #18
Spaf
2011 JK Wrangler 

I planned to go up from my 2" budget boost this spring. Having helped install two RK lifts I was strongly considering their 3.5" lift . . . I was.
Yellow Jeep Club #54
"Que scais-je?"
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Anyone that has a line to RK might want to point out this thread to them and illustrate the power of "word of mouth", and the impact of crappy customer service.

They just lost several potential customers over 200$.

Whatever... Guess business is good.

Maybe if we ignore our customers, they'll stop bugging us...
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
chriswj

Didnt they just go through an owner ship change about a year and half ago? Becouse the original owners had a kick a$$ WJ set up then the new owners got rid of all the Wj stuff and bunch off other stuff. I was got my tax return back and was gonna drop some serious coin with them i was all hyped up got to ther website and nothin for wj so i went to my 4X shop i use and they said that they are under new management
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #21
nicholsmf
2010 JK Wrangler 

I just have to say that this seems very out of the ordinary. I've never had less than stellar result from RK products and their people and I've got thousands of dollars of their product on my JK.
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can't say I was treated much different when I had issues with their joints a few years ago. For what they wanted, I could get some very nice rod ends that would hold up much better....and I did just that and had no more issues.

I have designed and built several suspensions and continue to fail to understand why RK does some of the things they do.....and why those things are so highly regarded, especially in the JK community.

As for those bent springs having to do with "your setup", that's complete and total BS. For a company that relies on repeat customers ("upgradeable") and sells products due to relatively undeserved hype (my opinion) this was handled very poorly on their end. Oh well, at least you've ended up with the parts you should've gone with in the first place.
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
rhyno46
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ugh, just ordered a 2.5" max travel pro system. If I'm reading right, do I just need to make sure I put the correct coil on the correct side to prevent?
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno46 View Post
Ugh, just ordered a 2.5" max travel pro system. If I'm reading right, do I just need to make sure I put the correct coil on the correct side to prevent?
According to RK, it doesn't matter what side you put the coils on. They are not side specific. But they told me on the phone on TWO occasions that they had seen bowing over time with the coils, and they tell their customers to switch the sides. Just keep an eye on it. It isn't a horrible lift. There are plenty of JK owners out there running this lift and love it.

My best advice for you...ensure you have the proper shocks for the lift, an alignment immediately after you install the lift. Buy bump stops that fit your setup with your tires, fenders, lift, etc. DO NOT buy the RK front coil retaining clips, or whatever they call those ****ty excuse for coil retainers. Go but the Currie coil retainers, if you feel like you need them.
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #25
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Can't say I was treated much different when I had issues with their joints a few years ago. For what they wanted, I could get some very nice rod ends that would hold up much better....and I did just that and had no more issues.

I have designed and built several suspensions and continue to fail to understand why RK does some of the things they do.....and why those things are so highly regarded, especially in the JK community.

As for those bent springs having to do with "your setup", that's complete and total BS. For a company that relies on repeat customers ("upgradeable") and sells products due to relatively undeserved hype (my opinion) this was handled very poorly on their end. Oh well, at least you've ended up with the parts you should've gone with in the first place.
I didn't realize other people had problems with RK. Anyways...I am EXTREMELY happy with my Currie lift!!!
Unread 12-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #26
Walle

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsmf View Post
I just have to say that this seems very out of the ordinary. I've never had less than stellar result from RK products and their people and I've got thousands of dollars of their product on my JK.
I am happy that you have had great results with RK. I didn't realize I had an issue with the lift until I did the axle swap. Maybe this issue is out of the ordinary, but I am no 'expert'. I just feel that the coils should be covered in their 'Abuse Proof Lifetime Warranty', or whatever they claim it is.

The thing that upsets me about it though...don't give me the run around and tell me to switch the coils to opposite sides and that they will magically straighten out.
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
red88MJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Guys we over here at Rock Krawler Suspension are working on getting a lot more active here on Jeep Forum! There is just so many forums to comb through and so little time. This post was brought to my attention through another forum.

I am actually the Tech that the OP spoke to on the phone the last 2 times we were contacted at the shop about this issue. I would just like to interject a little light on this topic in general... the following is not directed to the OP in any specific way, just a little info on why things are the way they are on JK's.

As far as a spring bow in JK's goes, if you look at a bone stock JK at the dealer you will notice that the factory coils do indeed bow slightly... drivers side will bow to the front and the passenger side bows to the rear. This is due to the fact that the end winding on the coil is placed to the rear of the axle on the driver's side and to the front of the axle on the passenger side. That pushes the spring to bow in the directions that they do. When you install an aftermarket coil this bow is made a little more prevalent due to the added length and slightly larger diameter wire used to make the coils. When a suspension is setup correctly the spring bow is minimal and will not cause a permanent set to the coils like the coils pictured in this thread have. Our coils are made from Silica Modified Spring Steel just like the likes of Eibach and some of the other premier coil builders use, which does have memory to it as all spring steel will. We do not make them in house as was stated in this thread as many other suspension company's do not either seeing the facility you need to make coils in that volume is huge and not feasible in our/their current capacities. Our coils are made to our specs in the USA and then shipped to our shop in NY. We did have an issue with the wire that held up a shipment of our 2.5" coils a few months ago... THESE COILS NEVER MADE IT TO OUR FACILITY TO EVEN BE ABLE TO SHIP THEM TO CUSTOMERS. They were caught in the quality control check at our manufactures facility and they scrapped them and made us a new batch. We have no problems with our coils that we are aware of and we would have heard of a defect in them across the board if this was a more wide spread instance then one account of it.

All of our hard parts have a lifetime warranty, being control arms, track bars, brackets and so on. Just as buying a car from a dealership your "wear items" are not technically warranted such as coils, Krawler joints, heims and so on. If there is a defect on our part that causes a components failure we are more than happy and willing to take care of it. There are also personal maintenance of things like jam nuts and setup of a customer's vehicle that are out of our control. We can only instruct people on what to do and when to do it and hope they listen.

Walle,

I am sorry that you had an issue in the first place and are not completely satisfied with the end result of our conversations. I did indeed say to switch the coils to the opposing sides to get your rig on its own weight and so you could verify that the caster and setup is correct. At no time did I ever state this was a permanent fix to your problem or that it would "Magically" go away. We were just trying to get a baseline to go off of. Your jeep is also setup with a different axle under it now than was under it when you discovered this issue. So this is a perfect time to double check things seeing that you may need to make adjustments as it is to ensure your new axle is in spec. You had already taken the vehicle apart and had no way to verify to me that it was setup correctly to begin with, I.E. photos of the setup prior to disassembly of it or a printout actually stating the alignment specs which would have given me more incite to what has been going on with your rig before this axle swap. I also said to contact me after you had swapped the coils to the opposite sides and verified your alignment specs with the new axle in and we go about trying to diagnose the issue. I would hate to send you a new set of coils only to have this problem happen all over again due to an underlying cause that we didn't think about because your vehicle was in pieces. That would not have made you or I happy with our fix. I am willing to work with you to try and get to the bottom of this specific problem if you will allow us to. Please feel free to contact me again at the shop 518-270-9822 to try and sort this out. This is what we do, this is what we love.

Thanks for everyone's time!

Justin
Rock Krawler Suspension

MY LJ BUILD... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/new-project-1066918/
Unread 12-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
04 RUBI
2009 JK Wrangler 

You're not alone with trouble with RK. Myself and some others I know had numerous problems. I had the 2.5 pro kit and it's gone now. Got a whole bunch of run around from RK myself. The aluminum trackbar was a huge problem for me. Also coils would come unseated and their spring retainers are a joke. My rears sagged very early also and slight bend before I got rid of it.

I'm convinced everyone that is looking at this kit needs to go look at the Metalcloak "lite" kit. It's about $1000 more but for that you get shocks, all 8 arms, rear trackbar, no welding for bracket, bumpstops, MUCH better coils and it rides a hell of a lot better. You don't get a tierod, but I still think is very much worth it. I honestly don't know why Metalcloak doesn't push this kit more.

My .02
Sorry if this was a hijack. Still pissed I guess.
Unread 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #29
RockKrawler

Guys

We warranty everything we can for everyone. However, we also have to rely on items being properly installed. We can blindly warranty items per say as per stated on our website. Items that involve no customer interaction such as our hard parts and they can be shown with a digital picture to have been properly installed and in some cases not, we warranty the parts.

Some items, such as coil springs are very specific on Jeep Applications. The end codes on all Jeep coils, not just JK's are specific to each application.

When a customer or someone who is not one of our customers for that matter, calls us, we do our best to help them out. We will of course ask questions related to setups and things of that nature to get a better understanding of where they are with their build and advise as best as possible.

Front coils require proper axle positioning forward and aft, side to side and require proper caster settings so they stand up proper. Typically on JK's you will notice even the OEM coils bow slightly and in oppossite directions. For the most part, this should be seen as well with aftermarket coils and if your caster, axle position, and everything is correct, you will typically see them equal per side, but in oppossite directions and the end codes on the axle themselves are mirrored or 180 degrees out of phase.

We apologize if it upsets customers, potential customers that we try to verify the setup before making any judgements, but as Justin stated above, blindly warrantiing anything or helping someone out with a discount does someone absolutely no good unless the root cause of the problem is corrected and that is what we strive to do. I was sitting right with Justin when he teched the OP on the phone and Justin asked these very questions to ensure proper setup. The customer did not know about his caster setting and was going to get back to us. To the best of my knowledge, he has not contacted Justin again regarding follow up so we could help him or her out. Instead, they post on here, but still have not corrected any issue.

To the Op, we would like to hear back from you regarding your caster settings so we can properly tech you through everything. Any coil you buy will look better than what you have right now initially. I am sure, even with bad settings the coils looked better when they were new, but eventually the coils will yield to an improper setup and they will bow just like those did. The longer they stay in there like that, the more they will bow and fatigue.

Jeremy
Unread 12-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #30
RockKrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 RUBI View Post
You're not alone with trouble with RK. Myself and some others I know had numerous problems. I had the 2.5 pro kit and it's gone now. Got a whole bunch of run around from RK myself. The aluminum trackbar was a huge problem for me. Also coils would come unseated and their spring retainers are a joke. My rears sagged very early also and slight bend before I got rid of it.

I'm convinced everyone that is looking at this kit needs to go look at the Metalcloak "lite" kit. It's about $1000 more but for that you get shocks, all 8 arms, rear trackbar, no welding for bracket, bumpstops, MUCH better coils and it rides a hell of a lot better. You don't get a tierod, but I still think is very much worth it. I honestly don't know why Metalcloak doesn't push this kit more.

My .02
Sorry if this was a hijack. Still pissed I guess.
All rear coils bow to some degree until you take some sort of corrective action. Unlike the front, in the rear you typically set the axle rotation by the pinion angle. When you lift your JK, you have to rotate the axle up, thus rotating the coil spring perches on the axle. Alot of our system include coil spring correction wedges to help correct this, some do not. This also veries by 2 door and 4 door models. Keep that in mind as you guys are doing your builds. There are alot of companies that offer new mounts for the axle as well to help correct any potential issues. So, everyone knows the issues are there and exist. We all do our best to help customers out.

04 RUBI

Was yours the 2.5 Max. Travel Pro, that was also ordered with front uppers and rear uppers in aluminum? You basically wanted to try to do what is now our 2.5 X Factor style system in aluminum before we had it out?

RK
Closed Thread

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.