Problems with RK Coils - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Problems with RK Coils

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Closed Thread
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater
 
Walle's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,039
Problems with RK Coils

Has anyone else had this problem?

I was told by RK's Technical specialist that I just need to swap sides, and they will magically straighten. Is this correct?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol
Blame that on me...I'm not liked around here for not drinking the koolaide :laugh:
Walle is offline  
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
its memory steel. not likely
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline  
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?
 
Tanimal's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 1,450
I don't know what system you have but I remember reading on their facebook page that they had a batch of defective coils go out on their 2.5 max travel system. Don't know if that helps. I have the 2.5 max travel system and have had no issues at all.
__________________
-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY JK BUILD THREAD-=-

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline  
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater
 
Walle's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
I don't know what system you have but I remember reading on their facebook page that they had a batch of defective coils go out on their 2.5 max travel system. Don't know if that helps. I have the 2.5 max travel system and have had no issues at all.
It is the max travel system. If you could find that, I would really appreciate it.

I am trying to find it now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol
Blame that on me...I'm not liked around here for not drinking the koolaide :laugh:
Walle is offline  
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater
 
Walle's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
I don't know what system you have but I remember reading on their facebook page that they had a batch of defective coils go out on their 2.5 max travel system. Don't know if that helps. I have the 2.5 max travel system and have had no issues at all.
Found it...

RK Facebook Post

Looks like the coils never made it out. The 'bad' ones were never shipped.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol
Blame that on me...I'm not liked around here for not drinking the koolaide :laugh:
Walle is offline  
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater
 
Walle's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
its memory steel. not likely
Right?! WTF?! They tried to say it was my caster, but my caster was set at what they recommend?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol
Blame that on me...I'm not liked around here for not drinking the koolaide :laugh:
Walle is offline  
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?
 
Tanimal's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle View Post
Found it...

RK Facebook Post

Looks like the coils never made it out. The 'bad' ones were never shipped.
There it is! Guess I should have read the post a little more. Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe RK will chime in here or you can try sending them that picture because that looks pretty odd.
__________________
-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY JK BUILD THREAD-=-

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline  
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater
 
Walle's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
There it is! Guess I should have read the post a little more. Sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe RK will chime in here or you can try sending them that picture because that looks pretty odd.
No worries, thanks!

I sent them this picture and another one. I am thinking about calling them back and talking about sending me direct replacements. The more I read...the more I realize that even if I switch sides, they will bow again. If they bowed once with the correct caster, they are gonna do it again, which is causing stress on the steel. It isn't like I have access to an NDI facility to ensure the steel is maintaining its integrity. Just frustrating....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol
Blame that on me...I'm not liked around here for not drinking the koolaide :laugh:
Walle is offline  
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Denny2565
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison AL
Posts: 211
That would have to be some seriously out of whack caster to do something like that. Did you happen to get an alignment done and have the print out of the results to show them? Also, it's hard to judge the direction of the bow from the pic. Did the springs bow forward, backward, in, out? Whatever the case, I would go back with a different brand; maybe Synergy, AEV or Metal Cloak if they won't replace them.
Denny2565 is offline  
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater
 
Walle's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny2565 View Post
That would have to be some seriously out of whack caster to do something like that. Did you happen to get an alignment done and have the print out of the results to show them? Also, it's hard to judge the direction of the bow from the pic. Did the springs bow forward, backward, in, out? Whatever the case, I would go back with a different brand; maybe Synergy, AEV or Metal Cloak.
I had my Jeep aligned after installing the lift, and everything was fine. It drove fine. The caster was set at 4.2. No pulling or anything. Driver's side bowed forward, and passenger's side bowed backwards. I didn't even notice until I did my axle swap and lift swap. I went with the Currie 4" and love it!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol
Blame that on me...I'm not liked around here for not drinking the koolaide :laugh:
Walle is offline  
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
SoK66
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 1,144
I went through this with another mfr's coils. The lower pigtail on those coils is too long, which is what causes the bow. In front JK uses the same lower spring pad on both sides, just reversed. So, the lower end of the coil seats in grooves that are reversed side to side. If the coil end is too long, as they are on those coils, the spring will tip forward on the driver side, rearward on the passenger side and they will eventually bow. The lower and upper ends of the coils need to terminate exactly 180 degrees opposite each other for the springs to seat properly and stand up straight. FWIW, I fixed a set of these for another owner by simply cutting off the excess lower pigtail on each coil. If those are under warranty don't do that, but check to be sure the new ones are wound correctly. BTW, this gets worse the taller the lift.
SoK66 is offline  
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 11,661
I just looked in this thread for the first time and am shocked at what I see and hear. For them to tell you to reverse those springs to straighten them out is beyond belief. Why the hell they wonít send you a new set of springs is total BS. First off it gives them a bad reputation and second itís not like they cost an arm and leg, coils are relatively cheap.
__________________
1222 is offline  
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater
 
Walle's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I just looked in this thread for the first time and am shocked at what I see and hear. For them to tell you to reverse those springs to straighten them out is beyond belief. Why the hell they wonít send you a new set of springs is total BS. First off it gives them a bad reputation and second itís not like they cost an arm and leg, coils are relatively cheap.
I agree! I am calling them again tomorrow. I did a little more research, so I will be able to talk with a little more ammo this time. The fronts coils are $160 - retail. I also found out that RK doesn't make their coils in house.

I guess we will find out tomorrow, if they will replace them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol
Blame that on me...I'm not liked around here for not drinking the koolaide :laugh:
Walle is offline  
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater
 
Walle's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,039


So much for the ****ing 'Abuse Proof Lifetime Warranty' that RK offers.... The coils aren't covered under the warranty. I was told "We don't have any issues with our coils, or if we did, I would have thousands of calls with similar issues. It is the setup of your vehicle." - Justin, RK Tech

So, they offered me the coils at cost - $100 plus $15 for shipping. :

Does anyone want a RK 2.5" Max Travel lift? I have one that I want rid of and will let it go cheap!!! Oh, and it has new front coils that I replaced.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol
Blame that on me...I'm not liked around here for not drinking the koolaide :laugh:
Walle is offline  
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle View Post


So much for the ****ing 'Abuse Proof Lifetime Warranty' that RK offers.... The coils aren't covered under the warranty. I was told "We don't have any issues with our coils, or if we did, I would have thousands of calls with similar issues. It is the setup of your vehicle." - Justin, RK Tech

So, they offered me the coils at cost - $100 plus $15 for shipping. :

Does anyone want a RK 2.5" Max Travel lift? I have one that I want rid of and will let it go cheap!!! Oh, and it has new front coils that I replaced.

This really bugs me.... It would suck to see this be the beginning of the end here for RK, but shiatty customer service is the cardinal sin.

I have the same lift, so will be keeping a close eye on my setup.
__________________
**
Make a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day....Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life....
**
paul84043 is offline  
Closed Thread
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.