Problem with Rough Country Lift. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Problem with Rough Country Lift.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Problem with Rough Country Lift.

yesterday I noticed that the rubber isolation mount that sits above the rear coil and under the 2.5" coil spacer had slipped over the edge of the spacer. It doesn't sound all that bad, but I have clearly lost some lift and the isolation mount is not centered over the spacer as it should be. And the Isolation mount is obviously not going to last long in the akward postition its in.

I called Rough Country and they were less than helpful. After some persistence on my part, they asked me to email them some pics of the problem to forward to R & D. "no problem" I thought, figuring they would respond to the email. After a day I recieved no response. So I called yet again hopeing they had a solution to the problem. I spoke to the same guy again and today was told that the R & D department was going to bring in a vehicle with the lift on it "to see if it would be an issue."

RC seems to be comfortable with me having to disassemble the kit and reposition the isolation mount everytime it slips. I explained to them over the phone that I was not okay with the idea.

I am still less than convinced that Rough Country is willing to provide a solution to the problem I am having with their product.

ArmyFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
RCXTREME

Has the coil come unseated on the lower mount? Looks as if it has shifted off the lower mount and has the spacer twisted.
RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the response. I did just confirm that the coil is seated properly on the lower mount. The coil top and rubber isolation mount appears to have "slipped" off and up the spacer.
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

A buddy took a look at it today, confirmed that the isolators a pretty well shot. Dissapointed.
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
RCXTREME

So is it just that the stock isolator is worn?
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

no, as stated above the isolator has slipped off of the spacer, completely stretching and deforming the spacer. EDIT: There only appeared to be metal on metal contact. my apologies, however the problem is still as stated above.
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCXTREME View Post
Has the coil come unseated on the lower mount? Looks as if it has shifted off the lower mount and has the spacer twisted.
I am curious how you possibly came up with that conclusion based on the photos provided, showing a close up of the top of the coil, isolator and spacer.

"So is it just that the stock isolator is worn?'

This once again is starting to sound like RC is trying to blame a stock component for a design flaw in the spacer.
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
jpacosta
2011 JK Wrangler 

please keep us posted on this since i just recently installed the same setup and have me somewhat worried here. I checked my springs last night and all is good . Also, have you noticed some sort of sqeaky noises after your install? Barely noticeable but i did here it when i stepped on the brake make the car come to a quick stop. Maybe i just have to spray some silicone lube on the swaybar/ control arms. Im wondering if after driving in snow etc it has developed surface rust or dried something out.

thanks,
jpacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
RCXTREME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFireFighter View Post
I am curious how you possibly came up with that conclusion based on the photos provided, showing a close up of the top of the coil, isolator and spacer.

"So is it just that the stock isolator is worn?'

This once again is starting to sound like RC is trying to blame a stock component for a design flaw in the spacer.
Nobody putting the blame on anybody or anything. Just suggesting and asking. I can definately see how it could wear a spacer out from being off center and rubbing on the coil spacer. Give me a call with your original order # and I have some spacers that are 3/4 you could replace those with. I am here to help you out, so no pointing the blame at anybody just asking.
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

ArmyFireFighter, sounds like you have too much down travel and the spring unseated just enough to let the isolator shift.
Unread 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Rescue13
2007 JK Wrangler 

I think 1222 is right. You could have been flexing and there was alot less pressure on the spacer and it shifted a bit.
Rescue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
ArmyFireFighter, sounds like you have too much down travel and the spring unseated just enough to let the isolator shift.
This was my fist thought as well... I've seen it more than once.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's an entry level kit. The only way that problem in the photos can occur is by flexing the suspension enough to unseat the coil spring outside the limitations and intent of the budget boost. This means it's time to upgrade to a set of coil springs for trouble free flexing.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I see your points about the flexing, however I have never really "wheeled" all that hard, I only hit what most would consider easy to moderate trails.

RCXtreame I will refrence the order number and give you a call tomorrow morning.
Unread 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If thatís the problem then you donít have to be wheeling all that hard. Jack it up by the frame and let the rear wheels dangle and see if you can jiggle the springs at all.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.