Problem aligning after lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Problem aligning after lift

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
mpd2434
2014 JK Wrangler 

Problem aligning after lift

I need help. My mechanic installed AEV's 2.5" dual sport lift on my 2014 unlimited. He's having problems aligning it and getting the steering wheel straight. He had his alignment rep. Come in for assistance. After multiple attempts the rep couldn't get it aligned either. After taking measurements the rep. Said my rear axle is shifted 1/2" forward and this is causing the problem. The mechanic loosened the axle but was unable to get any movement out of it. I called Northridge and they said they've never seen this before. Can someone please give me some advice? Mt jeep is in limbo right now. By the way it only has 400 miles on it and it tracked straight when I bought it.

mpd2434 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
mpd2434
2014 JK Wrangler 

By the way the axle is shifted forward 1/2" on one side
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Few things here. First to adjust the steering wheel the rear track.

As you lift the jeep a few things are going on that is going to happen. As it goes up, both axles shift the left. The more you lift it the more it will shift. This is why you need ether relocation track bar brackets or adjustable track bars and or both. Also as you lift the jeep the track(length of wheel base) of jeep is shortened. To set this correctly you need all adjustable control arms, Now in the AEV kit they use the GEO front brackets. But the rear they do not make anything for it and most people just run it that way. If it had arms that adjusted you could set the lowers 1/2 inch longer and then tune the pinion as need by the uppers. But not really needed at 2.5. If you do not have a rear adjustable track bar the rear will shift to the left, is that what they mean by 1/2 off, to left?

To set the steering wheel is very easy and has nothing to do with the track but the front wheels direction. best way i have found is drive the jeep down a flat straight road, somewhere you can stop. If the steering wheel is off. stop, loosen the drag link adjuster clamp and turn it until the steering wheel is straight. Tighten bolts. Done. It may take two people to do fast. I do it alone and takes no more than 5 minutes.

i can not believe they thought if they loosened the stock rear control arms they could adjust that. You can not do that with fixed length arms. To me that is a red flag that these guys do not know doodly squat about a Jeep and how to align it.
Getting an alignment:
When you lift a jeep you loose caster up front, but you have Geo brackets that corrects that and should be fine/ very close with AEV. This set the track and the caster. SO the ONLY thing they could adjust is toe and that wont change from the lift no matter how high on a JK as it has a solid tie rod bar separate from the drag link. most people run the stock 1/16 toe in. You can do this with a tape measure. I do it that way and everyone i know does, and that is many jeepers, in real life not the web.
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
versoel
2009 JK Wrangler 

It sounds like a bracket is missing or installed incorrectly.
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd2434 View Post
By the way the axle is shifted forward 1/2" on one side
That is what i thought you meant. The only way to fix that is with a adjustable rear track bar. set it 1/4 longer. You do not get this with that kit and they do not make one.

But again that is not why they can not set the steering wheel. Their trouble is they are doing a 4 wheel alignment. I could not live with the axle being of to the left, i am a bit OCD on these things. Its right or its not. But you can run it like that, AEV thinks its good enough. But that is what happens with incomplete kits. You can still adjust the steering wheel if its off center. You must or the TC light will go off all the time and then the brakes start to do there thing thinking the jeep is in a slide. have then do it like i said. Drive it straight and stop, set the drag link, done ezy pezy.

Not a AEV fan myself and went through this with there 3.5 kit being short on needs for a 2d. Since buying that lift it has cost mt 2x that to make it what i wanted and would have been better off going with a kit that cost 2x more in the first place. For what i needed. AEV has some issues if you get wheeling it to hard with Geo brackets that can bend and few other short falls it has. The springs are top shelf.
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

It's the shifted "forward" that bothers me. Maybe they mixed the springs up and have one of the fronts on the rear? Just sounds weird.

I jeep therefore I am.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
ncb

The axles move in an arc as the Jeep is lifted. With fixed length arms the axles arc towards the center of the Jeep as it's lifted.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
ncb

I would take it to a different shop for an alignment. With a basic 2.5" lift you can only adjust toe and center the steering wheel. What shop is doing the work?
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

On the average, any lift 2"/2.5" will shift the rear axle 1/8 to 3/4" to the PASSENGER side and the front axle the same to the DRIVERS side-

This varies PER JEEP, because of the tolerances in suspension production, however, it has nothing to do with centering the steering wheel, a novice that doesn't even have any tools can do that-

In alignment the only thing that can be adjusted is toe-in-,even if CASTOR/CAMBER is off, the shop can't adjustit, without your money and adjustable Control arms--

90% 0f jeeps with the 2/2.5" lift installed, don't need any alignment changes--maybe a little castor, but-

I wouldn't be to comfortable about this mechanic/shop-

Good luck

JIIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
mpd2434
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick responses. It came with the track bar but it doesn't say whether its adjustable. I didn't open the kit before I took it to the shop. The mechanic is saying one side of the axle shifted forward not to the side. Is that something that could happen without and UTB? I'm also OCD and that will bother the hell out of me id not corrected. Northridge said they've installed over 3000 lifts and never heard of this. There the ones that recommended this kit to me. Northridge also said that they would love to sell me rear adjustable control arms but that this wouldn't fix the problem. If I have to purchase additional parts to fix this I will although I really feel I shouldn't have to. I just don't want to start replacing things that don't help. That could get expensive real quick.
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
mpd2434
2014 JK Wrangler 

The same shop that did the lift is doing the alignment. His alignment machine is brand new. He even had the Rep. from where he purchased the machine come in and do it twice and he couldn't get it aligned. The Rep. is also a trainer for the machine.
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
mpd2434
2014 JK Wrangler 

Sorry 222doc I just reread your post and saw where you said without an adjustable track bar it could shift forward on one side. I'm learning all this as I go.
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
ncb

The axle alignment was probably off before the lift. A simple 2.5" lift wont cause the axle to shift forward on one side. If you want it exactly perfect you'll need adjustable control arms and track bars. These Heeps don't leave the factory with tight tolerances on anything.
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd2434
Sorry 222doc I just reread your post and saw where you said without an adjustable track bar it could shift forward on one side. I'm learning all this as I go.
Not forward, but left or right.
Unread 07-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
mpd2434
2014 JK Wrangler 

ncb I asked the mechanic again and he said it shifted a 1/2" forward, not to the side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.