Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Preping for "Trip to Moab"

3K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  jeep'd 
#1 ·
Looking for advice/suggestions. I'm planning a trip to Moab, from Chicago. Looking to run trails with a Offroad trailer w/ RTT. I'm driving a 2012 JKUR with the AEV 3.5" lift. 35" BFG Mud terrain tires. Heat reduction hood, AEV front bumper with 9500 Qudratec winch.
GenRight rocker guards
Stock:
head lights / fog lights
Exhaust
Intake
Rear bumper(currently not running my spare due to the weight on the door.
4:10 stock gears.

I'm burning through money like water on my TJ build and need to spend what I have wisely to try and properly set myself up for a successful family off-roading expedition. ( Oh, the trip will be early June)

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Best money spent?
High clearance exhaust
Rear tire carrier
Led light bar

See less See more
#2 ·
Best money spent?

"High clearance muffler" - easy, remove your stock muffler. Its free

Tire Carrier? Metalcloak has a rear carrier for 600, replaces your stock hinges/tailgate

LED bar? Waste of money in general but you could always do amazon

#5 ·
Lol @ the light bar... I see so many of these. Why?? ..
Same thing I say about bikini tops on women... and same theory - they LOOK good. lol.

Reactions: TJYankee
#4 ·
for the jeep - we ran all over Moab behind Dan Mick - I in a well built TJ and followed by 2 stock 10 rubis (and a few others including a almost stock CJ). None of us had any issues until we got to playing a bit harder (taking more challenging lines etc) - but even then the stockers did well - so your Rubi on 3.5 with 35s will perform as needed as well. I ran four years in my 11 (on 3.25 lift and 35s) before I finally caught the tail pipe - simple fix with pliers to open it back up and along I went (back in shop I replaced with a tightly tucked VVT). I did drag my evap off at Rubicon by trying to climb a straight 45" ledge - zip tied it back up and installing the relocate next month). Put your spare on the trailer tongue... take a plug kit and air pump when travelling away from trailer.

For the trip - Budget the high end for daily road trip to Utah - then stay cheap. When I hit the road I factor 125 per day meals and lodging (one person add 20 per person after). then stay at federal/state parks for 10-20 bucks and make my own meals for another 50 (+10 per person) savings in meals. I also pack using my old (ready to throw aways) clothes for the road - then just toss in trash when cleaning up - depletion in loading helps as well as ZERO time spent doing laundry. When I get home and all has gone well - the extra money does a lot to fill the jones I just got from this trip for the next. Let YOUR experience guide your Joneses... (For example I'm still seriously jonesing for a cage and a built front axle and it was put into my savings budget for 6 years (2 more to go) but my breakdown budget is so far under right now - I have never had to spend to fix anything on the road - I COULD justify buying NOW)...

And Buy AAA RV Plus. Its 149 a year - two tows per family - first up to a hundred miles no charge, second only mileage charge over 50, third and subsequent they adjust the service charge (discount) but you pay every mile... AND they will extract (up to 100 ft to hard top - 2 trucks if needed) AND bring 5 gallons of gas AND come change that monster spare etc. Great deal - I have used it almost every other year - once on the tow vehicle when I trailered and 3 times on other cars (towed a friends Jeep from Tahoe to Placerville where his trailer was) as I needed a tow - it goes to the MEMBER (has to be at vehicle with valid ID) not the vehicle! That 149 takes a HUGE amount of anxiety out of departing for cross country AND off road driving. At 100 miles no matter where I break down I know I can get it to a u-haul place where I can priority rent (with AAA discount even) a truck and trailer for the rest of the way home.

#6 ·
Even the high clearance exhaust that i have seen all have a tail pipe that sticks out under the bumper and out past, might be a legal issue and somewhat a safety issue. but that pipe is what gets smashed on hard trails. If the muffler gets dented no big deal. But the dual pipes/ singles can get crushed. i have trimmed the stock on mine now to its just a stub. Moab unless you run the hardest stuff is more about traction on rock that is like sand paper. do to the nature of sand stone your jeep can climb up vertical stuff that on granite would be just a dream. Would not worry about it to much. unless you plan to run the 9/10s. You need a spar so if it cant go in the trailer and the trail goes with you, might want to get something to mount it to the jeep.

heck of a road trip :thumbsup:

just bring lots of water it will be warm. if you are alone. many of the trails take you out far so dont do something your not comfortable.

#7 ·
I have been to Moab several times. I have ran Steel Bender and Hell's Revenge when my 09 Rubicon was bone stock.

With a 3.5 lift and 35's you will do fine.

#9 ·
GreenbayTJ06 said:
I'd opt for rock sliders instead of a light bar. Buts that's just me
I've got GenRight sliders, just trying to find time to get them installed.
I appreciate the time take for the responses guys. I plan on camping while I'm out west. No intention on looking for a room anywhere. The only reason I was considering a light bar was due to not having experience with how dark it might be(should be a full moon if I arrive by June 9th). Last year while wheeling in the Cherokee National Forest at night, I was coming down a steep grade( scraping the belly) on wet rock. The trail made a 90 and a tree had fallen across it. I was left out there trying to cut it free while using my stock head lights for lighting. Oh, did I mention it started storming?
GREAT MEMORIES OIIIIIIIO

#11 ·
During the long summer days most trails in Moab can be completed before dark if you start no later then noon. The longest trail is the Poison Spider Mesa/Gold Bar Rim trail combo. They are really two trails that can be ran back to back. This needs to be started early, 7 or 8am so your can be finished by dinner time.

Always go with a group. If you dont have a group, hang out at the trail head and wait for one to come along and ask to join them.

#12 ·
I'll be heading out with my brother, he'll be in his newly acquired LJR. Not looking to run too deep in a group.
Any idea if any events are happening in June. I was out east near a holiday and stupidly thought a scenic drive would be a good idea. Ended up stuck in a one way line for more then 4 hours traveling at less 5 mph. It took every bit of patience that I had.

#14 ·
i do not think there many wheeling things of the big events types in June. can be rather warm/hot out there. been to moab three times we tend to go in oct. Since its only a 9 hour ride to get there. But were i want to go is Hurricane area thats only 4 hours from me and never been. Some of our Club went last year and had a good time though it rained on them. Brings lots of water on the runs when its hot out.

#15 ·
Hurricane/St George is a nice area, bigger town area, more restaurants, hotels. I ran the Double Sami trail there.

I could live in the Hurricane/St George area, Moab while fun to visit is just to small of a town for me to live in.

#17 ·
Alright, so I've put in for my vacation time at work and started looking for camp sites. We've booked the first two nights (June 2-3) and plan on the first come first serve after that. I'm looking at a 13 day round trip. I've got the wife planning our meal prep, and our off-roading trailer from GoFSR should be here on Wednesday.

I started the install of my Genright rocker guards last night and thought everything was going well. Turns out the first two rivnuts pulled to the side(opposite) during installation. Due to this I am now looking for replacement riv's and had to cut out the damaged ones. I'm now somewhat worried about trying to use the same size rivnuts when I install the next one's (slightly larger hole). Its a 2012 and it's the first time I've taken a drill BFH or a cut off wheel to it and I did it all in one night.

Anyone have any can't miss camping spots?
Right now i'm looking at Ken's Lake, Sand Flats and Dead Horse Point.

#18 ·
Tool up, Be happy. (its a cheap one but should work for about 100 pulls per mandrel - rivs are listed at bottom of page) :smile2:.

To get the offsided ones out - take a 1/4 inch burr and take the facing shoulder off and it should almost fall out - (but into hole).

It almost sickens me to see suppliers shipping these things out with shade tree back yard southern engineered instructions and "tool" - but as you can see - its hard to justify the cost of tools for one job - so they ARE trying to be helpful.

I'll shoot a pm on camping etc....

#20 ·
-UPDATE-
GenRight rockers are on. Stock flares have been trimmed and reinstalled. JCR rear bumper with tire carrier are at the powder coater. Tomorrow I'm going to be picking up fluids.
Looking to verify quantities and for experiences with brands and/or types(ex. 75w 140 gear oil)
I'll be changing:
-Tranny
-transfer case
-front and rear diffs
Engine will be done next weekend.

#22 ·
222Doc said:
Even the high clearance exhaust that i have seen all have a tail pipe that sticks out under the bumper and out past, might be a legal issue and somewhat a safety issue. but that pipe is what gets smashed on hard trails. If the muffler gets dented no big deal. But the dual pipes/ singles can get crushed. i have trimmed the stock on mine now to its just a stub. Moab unless you run the hardest stuff is more about traction on rock that is like sand paper. do to the nature of sand stone your jeep can climb up vertical stuff that on granite would be just a dream. Would not worry about it to much. unless you plan to run the 9/10s. You need a spar so if it cant go in the trailer and the trail goes with you, might want to get something to mount it to the jeep. heck of a road trip :thumbsup: just bring lots of water it will be warm. if you are alone. many of the trails take you out far so dont do something your not comfortable.
I put the pypes high clearance kit on my jeep this week. It was $250ish but is extremely high clearance. The tailpipe is flush with the backside of my bumper, you can't even see it. It's the highest clearance kit you can currently buy for the JK iirc.

#23 ·

Nice trailer, thats a sharp looking set-up!

I cannot believe nobody mentioned the most important step w/ this journey!

- Maintain a trip report thread w/ lots of pics!

Seriously, please keep us updated and share lessons learned.

#24 ·
I'll definitely be putting something together. The wife is going to pick up a GoPro today. I just dug out my HD camcorder yesterday and download all the videos off of it so I could clear out the memory. The camcorder will do 1080p but I also want the 4K content. I'm planning to swing through parts of Colorado on the way back. Hopefully Ouray and or Telluride.

#25 ·
If you don't have any trailguides bought already, when you get to Moab find the visitors center. There are some basic off road trailguides you can get there for free that'll give you good info on the area and some of the better known trails. Been there twice, both times in stock JKU Sahara's--kept to the more sensible trails and still had a blast. For Ouray & Telluride-Engineers Pass & Imogen Pass trails will give you & your JK a good workout--but be forwarned if you don't like high narrow shelf roads at times--they'll bring the pucker factor up to around a 8 or 9!

#26 ·
Get a nice condo from VRBO.com. Suggested trails are Hell's Revenge, Fins&Things, Top of the World, Seven Mile Rim since you'll be driving your rig back home. Next time, do the White Rim with your off-road trailer. To get a little taste of it, come in through the Potash Road to White Rim, and take a 8 mile detour to Lathrop Canyon. This would be a nice trip with family, and do a nice picnic at the river when finishing Lathrop Canyon. There is a nice picnic table. You will have to get a day-use permit for this. Turn around, on the way back out, take the Shaffer Switchback Trail.

#27 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I've picked up several maps with trails on it. I've got this years Red Rock 4X4 Easter Jeep Safari magazine with the trails, ratings and scenic views.
Just installed the JCR Crusader"mid-width" rear bumper with the tire carrier today. Ran around picking up small thing here and there. I'm not sure if I'm not prepared enough or if I'm over thinking it.
Well one way or another, I'm leaving in 3 days!

#29 ·
I just got back home this morning. 3500 miles is one hell of a trip. My wifi is down at the house and I have a tech coming out Monday morning. I used my new GoPro for most of my vids and pics. The app needs wifi for me to log into my account. And posting from my phone on this app sucks. I'll get some feedback on here by tomorrow.

Sky Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Here's one I actually used my phone for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.