Power train inspection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Power train inspection

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #1
goudax3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Power train inspection

I need to take my Wrangler in to a dealer for a power train inspection in order to keep the unlimited power train warranty in place. What should I expect? Will the dealer nickel and dime me to death or ??? 52k on the vehicle, never had any problems at all. Runs great.

2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, bought new May 09. The day Chrysler declared bankruptcy.

goudax3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudax3 View Post
I need to take my Wrangler in to a dealer for a power train inspection in order to keep the unlimited power train warranty in place. What should I expect? Will the dealer nickel and dime me to death or ??? 52k on the vehicle, never had any problems at all. Runs great.

2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, bought new May 09. The day Chrysler declared bankruptcy.
WOW.....do you ever drive it? I have a 2013 JK bought brand new on Feb 24 2013. I just rolled 40k in mileage.

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

They checked mine over and we agreed to some notes about the items not covered (differentials, axles, etc as they were aftermarket) and I was done in 10 minutes. But, I doubt that I will ever attempt to take them up on the warranty as I now have RIPPed the engine.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudax3
I need to take my Wrangler in to a dealer for a power train inspection in order to keep the unlimited power train warranty in place. What should I expect? Will the dealer nickel and dime me to death or ??? 52k on the vehicle, never had any problems at all. Runs great. 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, bought new May 09. The day Chrysler declared bankruptcy.
They should just look for leaks, damage, mods that effect power train, and check fluids.

Here's the checklist.

image-2916469571.jpg

I've read where a dealer insisted the had to do an inspection of the diff for $90. They found a broken spider gear, replaced it under the warranty but still charged the guy for the inspection. I think that was utter BS and the guy got screwed.

I've also read about dealers insisting on fluids being changed etc. Even when the owner HAD fresh fluid from recent maintenance.

Those are rare, extreme examples. It's a no cost, pass or fail inspection. As mentioned, ten minutes in and out.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
ncb

I had the inspection done on my 2009 with 48K miles in May. Took about 20 minutes. They didn't mention anything about the mods. Handed me the keys and told me it's well maintained. I did bring my logbook of the maintenance I do, but they never asked for it.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine was pretty painless - took about 30 mins. They in theory do a thorough inspection of the drivetrain to ensure its been well maintained and not modified. They also visually inspect the rest of the jeep to check for potential abuse.

I think you'll find 2 types of inspections. 1 where they just review what Chrysler requires and 2 where they dot he review but also use it as an opportunity to sell you services you dont need under the guise of the 'inspection'.

I passed with flying colors. I only had 33's as my only visual modification.
gogogooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Took mine in for the required inspection and had no issues. The Dealer inspected the drivetrain and checked for any recall issues. They did a follow up inspection on service they performed earlier in the year. Didn't try to sell any maintenance or ask for maintenance records. I believe the inspection is required every 5 years to maintain the warranty.
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
wb2510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2510 View Post
I believe the inspection is required every 5 years to maintain the warranty.
In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain
inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection
must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue
this coverage.
Unread 06-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
goudax3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies. Happens tomorrow, will not be a problem I thunk. And, Wrigley, yes I do drive it, just not to work everyday.
Unread 06-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had mine ('09 JKUR, 42k miles) done last week and it passed. Dealer did note there were mods that affected the operation of the powertrain, which I assume are the 5.38 regear & 37s. Also has an Advance Adapters transfer case cable. It still passed.

From reading up on this it appears the biggest hurdle is simply getting it in and having the inspection done witin the 60 day window. Apparently folks forget or were never informed when they bought their '07 - '09 JKs that the inspections were mandatory.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #11
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had my 2009 done a few months back at 110K miles. No problems at all from the dealership, but they are very Jeep friendly.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
goudax3
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ok, results. Everything was fine. Except, the diff lube was burnt according to them. I have to bring it in next week for them to open it up and check it out fully. The lube had not been changed, but according to the maintenance schedule, it did not need to be since the vehicle had never been subjected to the conditions that required it to be changed.. We will see what happens. I have a feeling they may try to make me responsible.... Any suggestions?
Unread 06-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudax3
Ok, results. Everything was fine. Except, the diff lube was burnt according to them. I have to bring it in next week for them to open it up and check it out fully. The lube had not been changed, but according to the maintenance schedule, it did not need to be since the vehicle had never been subjected to the conditions that required it to be changed.. We will see what happens. I have a feeling they may try to make me responsible.... Any suggestions?
Get in touch with blackstone labs. Get a couple sample kits. Take a sample for yourself and give one for the dealer.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
goudax3
2008 JK Wrangler 

So, they tore apart the rear diff because of the possible problem with the fluid. ended up all was fine, but they charged me just shy of $100 for new fluid and reassemble. Sort felt like they just wanted some $$ to cover the inspection etc. But I am good for another five years, and that was the first I have spent other than normal maintenance on the Jeep since I drove it off the lot.
Unread 07-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goudax3 View Post
So, they tore apart the rear diff because of the possible problem with the fluid. ended up all was fine, but they charged me just shy of $100 for new fluid and reassemble. Sort felt like they just wanted some $$ to cover the inspection etc. But I am good for another five years, and that was the first I have spent other than normal maintenance on the Jeep since I drove it off the lot.
Seems like anything they thought was bad should have been covered by the warranty whether it was bad or not.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.