Power loss from 35's? & pwr mods - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Power loss from 35's? & pwr mods

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #61
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
5.38s are the "top cat" move, but thats another story-

JIMBO
Isn't 4.88 the top gearing for the D30 or is this D30 dramatically different than the one found in the TJ?

dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #62
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs

Isn't 4.88 the top gearing for the D30 or is this D30 dramatically different than the one found in the TJ?
Totally different D30 then the TJ.
5.13 is the highest ratio that is readily available for the D30, however, there was a company who did produce a D30 5.38 but I am unaware if it is still available.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #63
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Technically, the D30 and the D30JK are what they are called, they have subtle differences. The D30JK is definitely more robust, however it still suffers from a small ring and pinion size. Though most reference material classify them both as a "D30". IMHO, the lowest practical gearing on a D30JK is 4.88's (IMHO, if you plan on going offroad) due to the super-small pinion size of the 5.13's. Hell, even the D30JK 4.88 pinion is super small compared to stock gearing. Hence, the trend to go with larger axles as the gears go down (numerically higher). 5.13's, IMHO, should require a D44JK. I've heard of 5.38's for the D30JK, but I wouldn't touch them.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #64
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

5.13's work fine in my D30 up front and D44 rear.

As a matter if fact I recently had to get one differential rebuilt. Nope, it wasn't the front. My rear D44 had problems with the gears and the factory limited slip. I had the bearings and seals changed again, new Yukon gears replaced the superior gears, and since it was apart anyway, I had a Yukon zip locker installed which is an air locker very similar to an ARB but a few hundred dollars cheaper.

It is worth noting I don't crawl on rocks and I am a flat lander and mud bug. I also tow and enclosed trailer.

I haven't had a chance to really use the locker other than brief testing but it seems to a quality piece with smooth operation. I was expecting it to be clunky but is so smooth you can't feel or hear it engage.
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #65
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that 4.88 is ideal for my needs. My wife complains that the Jeep is too tall to get into. There's virtually no way that I'll move up to 35's.

Several people have said that 4.10's with 35's is a good combo for the 2012-2013 5 speed auto. With that set up at 2,200 RPM the Jeep should be doing 67 MPH, in 5th gear and 15 MPH in 1st. A 2007-2011 with auto tranny and 4.88 gears would do 67 MPH in 4th gear and 16 MPH in 1st at 2,200 RPM. Running 33's as I am now would have the RPM ~6% higher (2,333 RPM to be precise), which is manageable. If I ever decided to go to 35's it'll be set up to handle them.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #66
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2012 unlimited with3.6L 6speed manual and 3.21 gears. I have installed a 4" lift and 315x75x16 tires. I have lost a lot of power and torque. I want to regain the power without compromising gas mileage too much. I am either going with 4.56 or 4.88. Which is better with the 3.6 pentastar, 6speed manual, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear and the tires I have on the jeep? Also, does anyone have a reason why I should not go with detroit lockers?

Last edited by gunny40; 06-13-2013 at 09:52 PM..
gunny40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #67
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I would do 4.56. That's plenty for a 35

I would not do a Detroit in the rear. It's no fun on a daily driver. Consider a selectable for the rear like an ARB or OX

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #68
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well itís a rare occasion indeed when spyder6 and me agree 100% on something and this is one of them.

Although the detroit locker is a little more user friendly on a long wheelbase vehicle like the JK it still will be annoying on the street plus you will have to adjust your driving habits to counter the way it makes your Jeep handle.

Best to invest in a selectable locker and have the best of both worlds; it will be money well spent.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #69
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

That said, my running favorite combination of lockers is a Detroit in the front and an ARB in the rear

Unread 06-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #70
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

Does detroit make a locker that is not a limited slip differential (trutrac). I have been told that they have lockers that are truly open when not engaged and locked when engaged. True they are electronically activated and not air like the ARB, but wondering if they will hold up like ARB? Kinda new to the forum and Jeep community. Loving all the smiles and waves I get from other Jeep wranglers going down the road. It truly is a "JEEP THING".
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #71
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

What you're referring to is an Eaton E-locker, which are ok - but no where near as strong as then other options. You also have the genuine Detroit torsion locker, which is an auto locker.

Unread 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #72
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the information. I guess ARB is the way to go. Spend the money once and be done! Sometimes it's better to spend a little extra and be safe with a quality product.
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #73
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs View Post
So what these charts are telling us is that the creator of the chart believes that 99.9% of all JK's, with 3.8L motors, were improperly geared when built (I'll leave room for 0.1% to be "properly" geared due to customer orders)? I'm having trouble believing that.
The charts are very, very general.

If you want specific information there is always this site http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html or others like it.

Here http://www.quadratecforum.com/showthread.php?t=109284 you can find all the numbers you need to plug into the above site.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #74
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Still contemplating

I picked up a 2013 JKU Rubicon 10A which stock it has the Auto Trans with 4:10's in the pumpkins. My wife uses the Jeep for her daily driver (for the time being and she needs a dependable snow driver for the winter) but I live 45 minutes from the Rubicon so I'll be using it for my weekend 'Con runs. I thought my plans were to install 4:88's with 35" tires which I felt the 4:88's would leave enough meat on the gearing because I'm concerned breaking pinions due to the lack of strength/meat left on that kind of tall gearing. After reading this thread I'm on the fence now. Has anyone changed out their gearing to 5:13's and use it for their DD along with good off-roading?? Have any problems?? Any suggestions?? I've had quiet a few 4WD's and I'll have to admit this is the one that is spoiling me the most. Wish they covered more with skid plates the way I drive off-road but we'll fix that. One of the problems I'm having with it is trying to get it away from my wife. At first she wasn't interested in driving it but now... Thanks in advanced.
rock-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #75
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Rock-Rocker, I would not worry about the pinion being too small. At 4.88 the pinion is still very thick.

I am running 5.38's and have snapped the rear D44 axle shaft, but the pinion did just fine. Honestly, I have rarely heard of anyone snapping a pinion, even 5.38's. Others may have different stories, though. Usually, it is the axle shaft that goes first. You should be fine with 4.88's, unless you are attacking Moab like a monster truck on Red Bull & Crack.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
3.73 gears , 35" tires , JK Wrangler , power loss , stock gears , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.