Power loss from 35's? & pwr mods - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Power loss from 35's? & pwr mods

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #31
derekryan84
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
You can run whatever tire size you want - the question of "right" is your judgment as to what is acceptable performance with the gear/tire size. 35s and a 4.10 may be right for you and not someone else. I run 35s with 4.88 and it performs just about as good a it did stock with 32s and 3.73 - and I am getting about 19 mpg with no offroading - drops considerable when off road.
if im not mistaken project conartist in fourwheeler mag is running 4.88 and the really liked how it performed on and of the road

derekryan84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
2thbob
2010 JK Wrangler 

I just got mine back from the gear shop...running 35's and went from 4:10s to 5:13s. Shoulda done the 5:38s.
2thbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #33
derekryan84
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thbob View Post
I just got mine back from the gear shop...running 35's and went from 4:10s to 5:13s. Shoulda done the 5:38s.
really? is yours and auto?
derekryan84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #34
2thbob
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yes. Auto. Its decent enough, but for just stop and go around town stuff leaving it in second instead of drive works best. The reality of gearing though, is its what you you get at dead stop start, and rpm's down the highway. Everything inbetween is adjusting shift points.
Unread 08-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #35
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

The shop is telling you intake/exhaust first because that gives them two passes at your wallet.

Regear. Using HP to overcoming wrong gear ratios is NEVER a good idea.
Unread 08-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #36
LL247

2008 JK Wrangler 

I just went from 32''s to 35''s on 3:37's with the auto. It's not fantastic, but I think it's livable with the Superchips programmer. If re-gearing was in the budget that would've been the first move (def will be the next though).

HER Jeep - 2014 JKU Freedom Edition - Fancy 20's with 33's...finest mall crawler in all the land!
LL247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #37
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If she ever lets me get my hands on her JK it'll be 35s and 5.13s.

Too bad the TJ D30 only goes down to 4.88s...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #38
tomwbates
2009 JK Wrangler 

4dr X JK auto with 2.5" TF and 35s - some power loss, but you know - i dont mind it...All depends on how you drive. By now, my computer has readjusted and it rarely downshifts to maintain 65 going up hills on the highway.
Unread 08-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #39
2thbob
2010 JK Wrangler 

NO. It doesnt depend on 'how you drive'. Youve got a foot...thats not the parts that are taking the additional wear and stress. The idea or feeling of power loss are your motor and trans trying to do their job after being kicked down into an ineffective part of the power band- before it has a chance to create torque. So you step down the gas to get the rpms up where there is some power, all the while the guts are slipping and WEARING. Its really like having everything working great, but youve got an invisible trailer youre hauling around. REGEAR.
Unread 08-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #40
jonballi
2012 JK Wrangler 

Turbo it. Forced induction always makes more power
jonballi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #41
mclaggan123
jeepaholic

2006 LJ Wrangler 

i run 35's and 5.13's and wish i would have gone with 5.38's. i didnt know crap about regearing so i did my research here and went with the massess. i wish i would have gone with the few and gone even bigger. go big or go home. if i ever regear another jeep im going as big as i safely can.

2006 Rubicon unlimited, silver. 5.5" long arm lift. 35" BFG KM2's on 15" black steelies. skidrow steering skid and radiator skid . LOD rear bumper with tire carrier. Flowmaster 44 exhaust. .CB with tuffy Overhead storage . Offroad lights in bumpers front and rear plus 2 more on the winch hoop.
mclaggan123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #42
Deasoninc

So I just picked up an 11 Rubi 4dr and I am thinking on going to 35's . I will be driving it daily and 90% hyway/city driving. I picked up the manual trani , will the 4:10 suffice? Also I was told something about axle sag?? What is this? I was told that if I run 35's that the front Dana 44 will sag? If this is a common knowledge thing please excuse my ignorance. Brand new to the jeep world.
Deasoninc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #43
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasoninc View Post
So I just picked up an 11 Rubi 4dr and I am thinking on going to 35's . I will be driving it daily and 90% hyway/city driving. I picked up the manual trani , will the 4:10 suffice? Also I was told something about axle sag?? What is this? I was told that if I run 35's that the front Dana 44 will sag? If this is a common knowledge thing please excuse my ignorance. Brand new to the jeep world.
i wouldnt say its a common issue, but you are going to have some kind of axle sag/stress on any truck you swap from 32" to 35" tires. Probably nothing you would visually notice though..
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #44
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

You live in Dallas, which is mostly flat - you may NOT need to re-gear. I have 35s and 3.73s and live in the hills, plus drive up to the Sierra Nevada range often. I simply turn off overdrive on the freeway.

If you don't plan on doing any towing, then live with it for a while before making your decision. I'm not going to argue with anybody here; it's about preference and driving style.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #45
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
You live in Dallas, which is mostly flat - you may NOT need to re-gear. I have 35s and 3.73s and live in the hills, plus drive up to the Sierra Nevada range often. I simply turn off overdrive on the freeway.

If you don't plan on doing any towing, then live with it for a while before making your decision. I'm not going to argue with anybody here; it's about preference and driving style.
I agree, but im in the minority. On my manual trans, I had 3.21, then 4.10, then 3.73. Ended up going back to 3.23 since i mostly drive freeway. (Only 32" tho.)

Something else to keep in mind is the second you change your gears, any hope of a warranty is gone on your axles.

Tags
3.73 gears , 35" tires , JK Wrangler , power loss , stock gears , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.