Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #121
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
auto tranny

Noise at idle and increases in speed with engine rev's while Jeep is sitting still.

Not mine but here's examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ifuqSsBivU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s3GW-2gS-4

Just to clarify... I'm a gear head and have rebuilt a few engines in my day.(even an ol 1952 Dodge M-37 army truck straight 6)

Most definately valve train noise. And it's getting louder.
could be fuel injectors clicking as they use small solenoids that open and close the valves. sounds similar to valve train noise.

LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #122
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJeep View Post
Ball Bearings ? Ah No ! Metal shards that do not go through the oil filter ( remember 80% doesn't )while the engine is operating so that 80% of the oil that is contaminated with the metal ( Aluminum AND STEEL ) can score bearing surfaces AND destroy the hydraulic VVT cam positioners among many other items
Which is why every single engine I've owned over the past 30 years, every single one of which had fine metal particles in the oil that made it past the oil filter (picked up by the magnetic oil plug on the cars I bothered installing those plugs on), disintegrated. Eventually. Like the Honda Civic that eventually disintegrated at 340,000 miles when it threw a piston rod thru the crankcase. Err, yeah .

Aluminum isn't going to score bearing surfaces or hydraulic cam positioners, and nothing that gets through the filter qualifies to be a "shard".
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #123
DavidJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

How about we

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
Which is why every single engine I've owned over the past 30 years, every single one of which had fine metal particles in the oil that made it past the oil filter (picked up by the magnetic oil plug on the cars I bothered installing those plugs on), disintegrated. Eventually. Like the Honda Civic that eventually disintegrated at 340,000 miles when it threw a piston rod thru the crankcase. Err, yeah .

Aluminum isn't going to score bearing surfaces or hydraulic cam positioners, and nothing that gets through the filter qualifies to be a "shard".
Well lets make this crystal clear YOUR theory is aluminum is harmless to a engine ? It won't clog a oil passage ? it will not get stuck in a oil filter check valve ? Well I could go on and on so to make this simple why not make a video of you pouring some aluminum directly into your engine ??? if as YOU say it is harmless then put your money where your mouth is ! I also if you bothered to read the whole thread said other dirt foreign to the engine can enter during the replace/rebuild process also the lifters are NOT made of aluminum steel and other metals which can be destroyed while the lifter is banging around the lifter bore If you are going to try to justify your point of view then get the video camera out and start pouring Oh and news flash your magnetic doodads you used on your engines do not pick up aluminum AND your engines that went 300,000 plus miles did NOT bang and rattle at 700 miles either !!!!! Geeeeez
DavidJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #124
ncb

Nvmnd.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #125
nyrangersfan19
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJeep View Post
Oil Filter ?? LOL Nice try a oil filter has a micron rating and it will not pick up all of the metal frags Also by the time the oil filter has filtered ALL of the engine oil the damage will already be done ( a oil filter only is filtering about 20% of the oil while the other 80% is lubricating all the conponents during a operating engine) once a oil filter is dirty a check valve inside the oiling systems close to the filter and opens a by pass around the oil filter to ensure proper oil pressure inside the engine
That's just 100% false.
nyrangersfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #126
ncb

Not a dirty filter, but a plugged filter will open the bypass.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #127
nyrangersfan19
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Not a dirty filter, but a plugged filter will open the bypass.
Plugged completely, yes. Dirty, no.
nyrangersfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #128
AZBob

In retrospect it should have been obvious that Chyrsler would not be able to build a 280ish HP 3.6 liter V6.
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #129
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBob View Post
In retrospect it should have been obvious that Chyrsler would not be able to build a 280ish HP 3.6 liter V6.

What??
Unread 02-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #130
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Did anyone with this issue have a vibration of the engine while at idle? Mine started to vibrate. I can hear it inside the vehicle and when I put my hand on the engine cover it it is very noticable.
Unread 02-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #131
JSG1518

Question, if the tapping noise was serious would the noise get faster as you accelerate, or rev the engine in neutral?
JSG1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #132
base704
2012 JK Wrangler 

Poll?

So...
Has anyone, by chance, initiated a poll to come up with some numbers/percentages on how many 2012 Pentastar's have this problem vs. the number of them that don't?

I tried a search, but no luck. Not that I'm a pro on that function...

If not, let's do it.
I'd like to see what my chances look like...

base704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #133
AZBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver View Post
What??
What? What do you mean "what?"
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #134
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBob View Post
What? What do you mean "what?"
Sorry.
I should have said, why do you say that?
Please explain.
Unread 02-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #135
Rivet
1968 C101 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjsmith4 View Post
Did anyone with this issue have a vibration of the engine while at idle?

Yes
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.