Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #76
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yah, well, if this was true then my local dealership's lot would be full of Grand Churkees, Magnums, Grand Caravans, etc. with blown engines. It isn't. Over half of all Chrysler Corporation products shipped with the Pentastar this past calendar year so if cars were blowing up left and right you'd see hundreds of cars with blown engines backed up at my dealership, they sold thousands of cars with the Pentastar. But other than the occasional isolated incident, they haven't see the hundreds of blown engines you'd expect if there was a general problem.

So a) there was a run or two where there was a misaligned bore machine that misbored a couple of holes (a valve hole and a lash adjuster hole), and b) it got resolved. Otherwise we'd be seeing a whole lot more than some random tapping and occasional valve seat failure.

Unread 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #77
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

badtux

your probably right

Thanks for your comments on the subject as lots of good info.
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
92 CDN M101 trailer, 33" TSL Swampers,camo paint. Original camo tarp.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #78
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

I took mine in to let the dealer look at it here in corpus christi Texas. They acted like I was an idiot for asking about my almost 40,000 jeep. Atleast I got to see the cod mw3 jeep while I was there. They told me I could schedule something on Friday. Its monday today. And told me the technicians cost alot of money per hour. I will definitely not be going back there.
The small things that you come across everyday, The norm that's overlooked until it is unseen, then when that comes you miss life, one thought, one smell, one sound can take you back home, then you realize your a thousand miles away, and then you get sick....
Greenway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #79
tskeen
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yep, I had the same sort of treatment from a dealer in another town...with a Dodge truck. If the dealer spends time on your rig and can't find anything to bill Chrysler for....they will charge you a diagnostic fee.

I was able to keep from clicking on this thread for awhile. I shoulda known better. Now every little noise the jeep makes will make me paranoid.lol

Mines a little more noisy on the driver side.....sounds more like an exhaust leak to me. I won't do anything unless it throws a cel or gets a lot louder.
2012 Sport..auto 3.73 limited slip.Poison Spider Rocker Knockers, Daniel Stern lighting..AEV Pintlers GoodYear Duratracs 285-70-17 springs from Unlimited Rubicon. Weathertech Mats..AEV hood, kicker speakers, remote start added.
tskeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #80
JerseyJeep78
2012 JK Wrangler 

So far mine has been pretty quiet, in fact, its a heck of a lot quieter than the inline 5 I had in my 07 H3. This thread does have me listening for anything out of the ordinary though. 650 miles with a 12-2 build date. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Silver Jeep Owners #73
JerseyJeep78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #81
JSG1518

Anybody know what a cam phaser is. The dealerships have a notice on this?
JSG1518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #82
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSG1518 View Post
Anybody know what a cam phaser is.
The 3.6L engine is equipped with Variable Valve Timing (VVT). This system adjusts the timing of all four camshafts independently using solenoids and oil control valves to direct oil pressure into the camshaft phaser assemblies. The camshaft phaser assembly advances and/or retards camshaft timing to improve engine performance, mid-range torque, idle quality, fuel economy, and reduce emissions. The four phasers are located on the front of the camshafts, behind the VVT solenoids, inside of the engine timing cover. The exhaust phasers are identified with EXH and the intake phasers are identified with INT. The exhaust phaser has a clockspring, the intake phaser does not. The camshaft sprockets are integrated with the camshaft phaser and are serviced as an assembly. Do not attempt to disassemble the phasers, they are not serviceable. Phasers are interchangeable between the right and left cylinder heads but should be installed in the same location as removed.

The 3.6L engine has an Oil Control Valve (OCV) for each phaser. The OCV also acts as a bolt for mounting the Phaser to the camshaft. The OCVs spool valve is spring loaded and should move freely within the OCV body. The four OCVs are identical but should be installed in the same location as removed.
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #83
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Lee.

Here's also some good G2 on the engine

http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
92 CDN M101 trailer, 33" TSL Swampers,camo paint. Original camo tarp.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #84
Strauzz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a build date of 08-2011. I notice a slight sound. Are you guys having check engine lights coming on or going straight to the dealerships? Any drop off in MPG, or performance? Any TSB recalls yet?
Strauzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #85
sandbaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauzz View Post
I have a build date of 08-2011. I notice a slight sound. Are you guys having check engine lights coming on or going straight to the dealerships? Any drop off in MPG, or performance? Any TSB recalls yet?
I had ticking and thought it normal (injectors). It was that loud. It threw the P0302 code and I took it in the next day ( no noticible drop off in performance ). It was a Friday and they perfromed a leak down test after the code would not clear with the flash update and noted a 45% leak in #2 cylinder. I took it home over the weekend with the code and it drove fine and dropped it back on Monday. It was finished on Thursday. It's quieter now and the performance seems about the same. The exhaust valve was burnt and the valve seat damaged. I think if I had this code pop up somewhere far away I would still get home safely.
sandbaja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #86
Strauzz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbaja View Post
I had ticking and thought it normal (injectors). It was that loud. It threw the P0302 code and I took it in the next day ( no noticible drop off in performance ). It was a Friday and they perfromed a leak down test after the code would not clear with the flash update and noted a 45% leak in #2 cylinder. I took it home over the weekend with the code and it drove fine and dropped it back on Monday. It was finished on Thursday. It's quieter now and the performance seems about the same. The exhaust valve was burnt and the valve seat damaged. I think if I had this code pop up somewhere far away I would still get home safely.

So did the check engine light come on? Everything is performing normal, my girlfriend thinks I am paranoid that I am hearing this ticking sound. I had a different electrical problem with my jeep with the door ajar light coming on all the time. went to 2 dealerships and it took them a week to fix it. My confidence level is really low in trusting the dealership to tear apart anything more on my jeep.
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #87
cf1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So did the check engine light come on? Everything is performing normal, my girlfriend thinks I am paranoid that I am hearing this ticking sound. I had a different electrical problem with my jeep with the door ajar light coming on all the time. went to 2 dealerships and it took them a week to fix it. My confidence level is really low in trusting the dealership to tear apart anything more on my jeep.
my build date is 10-10-11 ticking was real bad changed the oil at 8000 with mobile one 5w30 ticking not as bad but still there, no light came on.. stll geting 20 to 21 hiway..
cf1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #88
sandbaja

Quote:
Yes, the check engine light went one. The code was P0302. Some dealers are good and some are not. I use a different dealer than in the past because of situations like yours.
sandbaja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #89
Swifty
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
***UPDATE #2***

Got the Jeep back today. Lifters were replaced. Sounds pretty much the same. Slightly discouraging. I will talk to the service rep next week and pick his brain.
I think I will try out my new video cam and document it.
***UPDATE #3***

Forgot to post this earlier: When I called the service manager and told him that the tick was still present he spoke with the mechanic who worked on the engine and the mechanic stated that there was no signs of any internal engine faults he saw when he replaced the lifters. Therefore the service manage stated it is noted as a concern and if it develops into a more serious problem or gets louder, bring it back in.

Coincidentally, the next day Jeep corporate calls me to do one of their customer satisfaction surveys and I told the gentleman calling about the tick, the service at the dealer, and that the noise was still there. He was actually quite helpful and provided me with a phone number to folks at Jeep that would help open a case with their resolution folks. I haven't gone that far yet as the engine runs just fine except for the noise, and I am willing to see if it worsens. I've got plenty of time under warranty so I'm not worried.

If anyone else would like the number to Jeep shoot me an email: swiftfox2 {at} yahoo {dot} com.
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #90
Strauzz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
***UPDATE #3***

Forgot to post this earlier: When I called the service manager and told him that the tick was still present he spoke with the mechanic who worked on the engine and the mechanic stated that there was no signs of any internal engine faults he saw when he replaced the lifters. Therefore the service manage stated it is noted as a concern and if it develops into a more serious problem or gets louder, bring it back in.

Coincidentally, the next day Jeep corporate calls me to do one of their customer satisfaction surveys and I told the gentleman calling about the tick, the service at the dealer, and that the noise was still there. He was actually quite helpful and provided me with a phone number to folks at Jeep that would help open a case with their resolution folks. I haven't gone that far yet as the engine runs just fine except for the noise, and I am willing to see if it worsens. I've got plenty of time under warranty so I'm not worried.

If anyone else would like the number to Jeep shoot me an email: swiftfox2 {at} yahoo {dot} com.

When I went to pick up my jeep from the dealership when I bought it I notice scratches on the hood. Long story shorty thye dealer screwed me around and never fixed them. I opened a case with Jeep resolution center to resolve the issue. They were polite and took the info down but they never did anything about it. It sucks you pay a lot of money for these vehicles and instead of getting quality work you get a bunch of idiots who half *** the work and tell you what you want to hear. Good luck with your case I hope they fight for you and resolve the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.