Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #61
Bengals1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals1

Arctic blue, two door, 6 speed manual, 430N radio
oops, I think the blue is called winter chill

Bengals1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #62
JR_Rubi_Red_JK
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolnep
currently problems seem to revolve around jeeps produced in july and august of 2011.
My build date is 9/11. No ticking yet but I'm sure I'll start hearing it any time now. its good to be a hypochondriac.

Current Mods:
-- 2.5" TeraFlex Coil Lift
-- TeraFlex NSS 9550 Shocks
-- Alloy USA 1.5" Wheel Spacers
-- Truck-Lite LED Headlights
-- Katskin Heated Leather Seats
-- MyGig LockPick v3
-- MetalCloak Midwidth Front winch bumper
-- Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch
-- Rampage Retractable Dual Rock Skids (great as steps, ok for trails, probably not for real rock crawling).

Next Mods:
-- Baja Designs 20" LED Lightbar
-- Design Grill to incorporate Baja Design Lightbar
-- Powdercoat Stock Rubicon Rims dark gray matte

Later Mods:
-- Rear bumper (JCR?)
-- Diff skids

Prior Rigs:
2011 JKUR 3.8L (Traded in on 2012 JKUR)
2007 GMC Sierra 4WD w/ 6 in lift (Traded in on 2011 JKUR)
1994 Bronco w/ 6 in lift (Still have)
1978 GMC Jimmy w/ 6 in lift (Stolen-never recovered)
JR_Rubi_Red_JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #63
Jeepjet
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_Rubi_Red_JK View Post
My build date is 9/11. No ticking yet but I'm sure I'll start hearing it any time now. its good to be a hypochondriac.
That would be Pentachondriac
2012 JK Sport, Deep Cherry Red , 3.6 Penastar, 5 spd. auto, 3:21's, 285/70x17 DuraTrac's , Teraflex leveling kit, U.S. Alloy 1.5 spacers, ACE rock sliders, Rugged Ridge front dif skid, quadratec mats, K&N element,+80 headlamps...
Jeepjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #64
JR_Rubi_Red_JK
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hypochondriac or not I'm hearing a ticking in my engine too. Using an mechanics stethoscope the front of the valve cover on drivers side sounds pretty normal but the rear is where the clicking is coming from. With the scope it sounds like ice in a blender. Margaritas anyone? Guess I'll have the dealer check it out on it's first oil change. Is anyone aware of any catastrophic failures from this issue?

Current Mods:
-- 2.5" TeraFlex Coil Lift
-- TeraFlex NSS 9550 Shocks
-- Alloy USA 1.5" Wheel Spacers
-- Truck-Lite LED Headlights
-- Katskin Heated Leather Seats
-- MyGig LockPick v3
-- MetalCloak Midwidth Front winch bumper
-- Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch
-- Rampage Retractable Dual Rock Skids (great as steps, ok for trails, probably not for real rock crawling).

Next Mods:
-- Baja Designs 20" LED Lightbar
-- Design Grill to incorporate Baja Design Lightbar
-- Powdercoat Stock Rubicon Rims dark gray matte

Later Mods:
-- Rear bumper (JCR?)
-- Diff skids

Prior Rigs:
2011 JKUR 3.8L (Traded in on 2012 JKUR)
2007 GMC Sierra 4WD w/ 6 in lift (Traded in on 2011 JKUR)
1994 Bronco w/ 6 in lift (Still have)
1978 GMC Jimmy w/ 6 in lift (Stolen-never recovered)
JR_Rubi_Red_JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #65
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

Easiest way to hear it is pull beside a building with the drivers window down. I have almost 13,000 miles on mine and nothing bad yet. I'm going to take it in though. Probably this week
The small things that you come across everyday, The norm that's overlooked until it is unseen, then when that comes you miss life, one thought, one smell, one sound can take you back home, then you realize your a thousand miles away, and then you get sick....
Greenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #66
AZBob

Is the Wrangler Pentastar made in a different factory than the Grand Cherokee Pentastar? Then there's the Dodge Grand Caravan Pentastar, and Dodge Durango Pentastar and the VW Routan Pentastar. Are they all having problems?
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #67
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBob View Post
Is the Wrangler Pentastar made in a different factory than the Grand Cherokee Pentastar? Then there's the Dodge Grand Caravan Pentastar, and Dodge Durango Pentastar and the VW Routan Pentastar. Are they all having problems?
Wrangler Pentastars are all made in Trenton because it's the only place that gets the engine casting with the alternator bracket up top. The other Pentastars in the other Chrysler products are all identical so are made interchangeably between Trenton and Saltillo Mexico, there's no way of knowing where any particular engine was made sort of looking at the build sheet. The head assemblies are all identical regardless of which variant of Pentastar.

There appears to be two problems. First is a hydraulic lash adjuster problem that affects one of the adjuster bores and allows the oil to bleed out before it can pump up the adjuster (note that a Pentastar does *not* have hydraulic lifters -- the lash adjuster's sole purpose is to push up slightly on the cam follower to keep its roller in contact with the cam so that it doesn't make noise). This problem is annoying but not actually going to cause damage to your engine. The second problem is a valve guide that appears to be misaligned or misbored allowing a specific valve to be off-center to its seat thereby causing a burnt valve. This *can* damage your engine, and can be diagnosed by a leakdown test.

The solution to both is going to be a new or rebuilt head, because in both cases it's an issue with a bore being misdrilled/off center/out of round. If a dealership does a leakdown test on your engine and it is in spec, do *not* expect the dealership to be very helpful past that point because right now it appears that any available heads are being reserved for those who have the valve problem. Eventually Chiseler will get the returned heads rebuilt and back into the supply chain as replacement heads, but until then they're in short supply.

Note that Chiseler had originally planned to build a third plant for Pentastar parts at Kenosha, but that got kiboshed by the bankruptcy. So basically they're running flat out right now and experiencing shortages that have even caused entire assembly lines to grind to a stop at times. Yet another case of false economy costing a company more money than doing it right would have cost...
Unread 02-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #68
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjsmith4 View Post
Don't know where to find the build date.
It's found on the door-post VIN sticker of vehicles - also known as MDH (month, day, and hour).
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #69
AZBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
Wrangler Pentastars are all made in Trenton because it's the only place that gets the engine casting with the alternator bracket up top. The other Pentastars in the other Chrysler products are all identical so are made interchangeably between Trenton and Saltillo Mexico, there's no way of knowing where any particular engine was made sort of looking at the build sheet. The head assemblies are all identical regardless of which variant of Pentastar.

There appears to be two problems. First is a hydraulic lash adjuster problem that affects one of the adjuster bores and allows the oil to bleed out before it can pump up the adjuster (note that a Pentastar does *not* have hydraulic lifters -- the lash adjuster's sole purpose is to push up slightly on the cam follower to keep its roller in contact with the cam so that it doesn't make noise). This problem is annoying but not actually going to cause damage to your engine. The second problem is a valve guide that appears to be misaligned or misbored allowing a specific valve to be off-center to its seat thereby causing a burnt valve. This *can* damage your engine, and can be diagnosed by a leakdown test.

The solution to both is going to be a new or rebuilt head, because in both cases it's an issue with a bore being misdrilled/off center/out of round. If a dealership does a leakdown test on your engine and it is in spec, do *not* expect the dealership to be very helpful past that point because right now it appears that any available heads are being reserved for those who have the valve problem. Eventually Chiseler will get the returned heads rebuilt and back into the supply chain as replacement heads, but until then they're in short supply.

Note that Chiseler had originally planned to build a third plant for Pentastar parts at Kenosha, but that got kiboshed by the bankruptcy. So basically they're running flat out right now and experiencing shortages that have even caused entire assembly lines to grind to a stop at times. Yet another case of false economy costing a company more money than doing it right would have cost...
Very good. So both problems appear to be solvable with a modicum of production management talent, but how are we going to know when they are solved? I, selfishly, want my 2012 order vehicle to have neither problem.
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #70
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would assume at this point that the production issue is solved on new build cars. The reason I make that assumption is because there is no backlog of heads at the factories -- heads are one of the things in short supply due to heads being diverted to fix the valve issue, so any heads on any engines built today are good ones, and engines are in short supply because of the head shortage so any engines in any new builds are going to be ones with the good heads.
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #71
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=badtux;13041738]. The second problem is a valve guide that appears to be misaligned or misbored allowing a specific valve to be off-center to its seat thereby causing a burnt valve. This *can* damage your engine, and can be diagnosed by a leakdown test.QUOTE]

The real issue is..... if you have ticking and the dealer will not doing anything about it.

Driving till a CEL comes on may do more harm long term to your engine.
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
92 CDN M101 trailer, 33" TSL Swampers,camo paint. Original camo tarp.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #72
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

A leakdown test is extremely easy to do, though somewhat more difficult on the Pentastar due to the length and diameter of the spark plug tube (which requires a somewhat thin spark plug socket). Unscrew spark plug, move piston to TDC on compression stroke, plug in adapter hose, pump up the pressure, see how long it takes to leak down. Done.
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #73
Rivet
1968 C101 

Alright guys Ill give an update.

I picked up my Jeep today and drove it the 80 miles back home. It is night and day difference. I cant even hear the engine running anymore. Extremely quite. And it doesn't leak anymore either! Perfect day to pick it up, the weather turned to crap and started to rain. Not a single drop of water came in during the drive home. Another thing I noticed is my shifter doesn't make that annoying buzzing or rattling noise anymore. Maybe they did that boot job Ive heard about (although its not on the paperwork).

While talking to the service manager she mentioned I am the third person to come in with this problem. And that I am the first wrangler. So far she has seen one grand cherokee, and one Chrysler mini van and my JK. She said once they got the new head the customer hasn't been back and it seems to be the fix. So this is not a Wrangler specific issue. It is across the board. She went on to say that there never was a recall but all dealerships got a bulletin to remove all vehicles with the Pentastar engine that were built within a certain time frame.
(My Jeep has a build date of July 27th 2011)

Hopefully my Jeep doesn't reject its new transplant and continues to treat me good.
Good luck everyone!
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #74
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

duplicate post please ignore... see below

Still dorking with an iPAD
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #75
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Sorry for the delay, but for a variety of reasons I couldn't reveal what I heard until now. This is only what was told to me in private conversations and I have zero first hand knowledge, but I think it worth sharing. From two Chrysler techs and a Mopar/Chrysler engineer I have heard that "there is a problem" with the Pentastar. Many of the those that went into the public market are now coming back having lost the #2 cylinder. There is little regularity to the failure; some suck a valve, some throw a rod, and in others the cylinder just fries, but it's always #2, and nobody can say why. They are working very hard to figure it out and, I would imagine, have pulled most available engineering resources to resolve the issue(s). As many (millions?) of new vehicles are set to be recipients of this "innovative" new power-plant, this could be a devastating blow to the auto group, and, as you can imagine, they have been doing everything imaginable to keep this information under wraps. Again, this is only what was told to me in private conversations and I have zero first hand knowledge. To protect my sources I will not, under any circumstance, reveal who they are, nor any other potentially identifying information, so don't ask. Take this for what it is; heresy from an anonymous internet troll, perhaps, but I have nothing to gain by posting this, so consider yourselves warned.
Many thanks for the update Rivet.

Look at this...........makes ya wonder...

Copied the quote from the link below

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...l#post12042889

"

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.