Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #616
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

I don't want or need a printed manual, but I am willing to pay a reasonable fee for an electronic copy. I just bought the service manual for my John Deere Gator on a DVD. Somehow it is copy protected ( I'm sure some kinda computer wiz could do it ) and can only print from my computer. Also can only be updated on my computer. I could lend a friend the actual DVD and he can view it on his computer, but can not print it. I had to enter my Gator serial number to activate the DVD. The point being there are ways to do this, lest hope Jeep decides to accommodate us!

Dan nj/pa

djm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #617
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Paying $35 a pop for a three (3) day session is even more crap. Most people have jobs and are not able to work on their Jeeps for three days straight. If you can’t finish what you started on your Jeep in those three days then you must pay another $35 and so on. Sometimes you may just need to read about how to get you through a particular procedure that may take all of ten minutes and that will cost you $35.

Not everyone will want to pay for a factory service manual but the ones that do should have the option to do so. Jeeps are a different animal than “normal” vehicles as they are often worked and modified on a regular bases.
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #618
allwheeldriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
And what we're saying is this sucks. I don't care if other companies follow suit, that doesn't make it ok. I don't care if 90% of the population doesn't even know how to change their own oil. I just swapped the transmission out of a 46-year old Corvette. You better believe it took me longer than 3 days and I used the hell out of the factory assembly manual.

Jeep is leaving the enthusiasts hanging, and it doesn't even gain them anything significant.
The last time I had to get a factory service manual through a subscription like this I just printed the whole thing to a .pdf since at the time there was no wifi in my garage. It took a couple of hours but I had a .pdf copy I could use offline and didn't need the subscription for more than a day. This thread is getting kind of off topic though.

Last edited by allwheeldriven; 10-10-2012 at 10:46 AM..
allwheeldriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #619
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
All I can do is pass on that people are still not happy. This is nothing new - it's been awhile since any new service manual was printed. It's not just Jeep - it's others in the company. Why the business decision was made, I don't know. Maybe they can't publish one at a fair price. Think e-books. Maybe no one wants to have to store all the printed manuals. Maybe it has to do with the necessity of using the computer anyway for programming/flashing. Do I personally think that there will be a paper FSM put out? No.
FWIW I don't expect anything to change and I wasn't trying to pick on you. I just think it's a lousy corporate decision that further alienates their core of customers. When this group stops buying because they're tired of being ignored, the Wrangler loses that special character that makes other people want it.

Personally I care a lot more about how I'm treated AFTER I buy a vehicle, and so far stuff like this is all I've got to go on. Since my 5-month old Wrangler is already starting to rust on the body and I haven't even taken it to the mountains yet I guess I'll be getting a better idea soon.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #620
SRM
2012 JK Wrangler 

back on topic - since my head replacement, still no noise....
[B]Mine[/B]: 2012 Sport S, Black, de-badged, Auto, Power/Connectivity, and damn proud of my 3:21's :)
[B]Hers[/B]: 2010 Sahara, dual top, all the goodies...

[I]No, I'm not a Mall Crawler. I've driven over a curb 2, maybe 3 times... :)[/I]

Previous: 2010 Camaro SS, 2007 WRX, 2000 Camaro Z28, and various 2nd gen f-bodies...
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #621
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
You can see it, but you don't want to pay to see it.

This is why I probably will not buy another Jeep. I love Jeep but, Chrysler has really miss the mark on everything and this being a issue even though it might seem small makes me wonder if Chrysler is this cheap about this what else. I love my 2005 LJ but, aside from the engine and a few small things the rest of it is a piece of **** made out of a five gallon parts bucket. I have learned to live with it. There is no way in hell I would pay 30k for any Jeep product nowadays. To pay more than that you are out of your rabbit *** mind.
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #622
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

man
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #623
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

And what we're saying is this sucks. I don't care if other companies follow suit, that doesn't make it ok. I don't care if 90% of the population doesn't even know how to change their own oil. I just swapped the transmission out of a 46-year old Corvette. You better believe it took me longer than 3 days and I used the hell out of the factory assembly manual.

Jeep is leaving the enthusiasts hanging, and it doesn't even gain them anything significant.

I agree with you.
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #624
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I could not agree more with you! Jeep just assumes well there's only so many who wrench so don't bother. It don't make it right but, what do you do? Me I won't buy another Jeep product in the future unless there's changes done.
Unread 10-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #625
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have had no issues with my 2012 Jk in the past 6 months. Purrs like a kitten...
danski999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #626
medijeep

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Took my 2012 JKR in to get the CEL checked again and the evap code cleared. (new cannister installed a couple days ago.) Was shooting the bull with the dealer service guy and when I mentioned the #2 cyl. misfire code he practically encouraged me to set up the appointment to get the new head put on. So after the confirmed the code, the new head has been ordered. Wow! that was easy.
medijeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #627
Apollo821
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medijeep View Post
Took my 2012 JKR in to get the CEL checked again and the evap code cleared. (new cannister installed a couple days ago.) Was shooting the bull with the dealer service guy and when I mentioned the #2 cyl. misfire code he practically encouraged me to set up the appointment to get the new head put on. So after the confirmed the code, the new head has been ordered. Wow! that was easy.
Dammit, and I still can't convince the folks who do Chrysler/Jeep warranty work here to even look at the thing.

Last I was told was "oh just add more oil and it'll go away."

Right, thanks.
Apollo821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #628
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

here is a tidbit, go to the mopar parts desk and ask for the filter and oil or whatever part you need to fix, then ask if you can have a printout of the maintenance procedure as well, I have never been denied, got a few raised eyebrows but always got the sheets I need. Of course if they deny, walk out and buy nothing.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #629
JKUnlimitedgirl
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2012 JK Unlimited Sahara 6 speed manual. It has been in the shop 4 times already for the ticking noise in the head. First time they did not hear it, and told me to make an appointment with the master mechanic. The mechanic changed my oil and filter, still ticked. Ordered new lifters- had it for 4 days to replace lifters, e-brake assembly, AC resistor, and door panel. Still ticked when I picked it up, but it had gotten worse. The "master" mechanic thought it was my clutch, so they wanted to replace it (which to me meant longer I would have to go before actually paying for a new clutch out of pocket, even though I knew that was not the problem). Chrystler then told them to take apart my transmission to see if they could find anything wrong with it, which I am not doing since he will just cause a tranny issue. When they replaced my e-brake assembly, which is still not working like it should, they completely chipped and busted my gear shifter.

The ticking noise does not change/stop when I push the clutch in and engage the pressure plate- so not the clutch or tranny. It does however change when I push my gas in- it gets louder and faster. I believe they are just trying to get out of fixing the REAL issue we all have with the new Pentastar motor from Chrystler, or their mechanics are not trained well enough.
JKUnlimitedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #630
Jetfixer
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 2DR Sport. Ticked on driver side from day one. Dealer replaced lifters at 3K miles but would not replace the cylinder head due to no CEL fault and some denial of the issue. Tick remained after lifter install. Yesterday at 20,400 mi, CEL light came on. Dealer diagnosed as cylinder misfire. Service Mgr says they've seen all of the ones with bad cylinder heads throw a CEL at between 16K-20K miles. New cylinder head in stock and being replaced. Fingers crossed...
Jetfixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.