Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #46
Rivet
1968 C101 

I'm glad that its over too. I just hope this fixes the underlying problem (which no one has been able to pin point). Ive heard everything from sand in the casting process got left behind to a bad batch of lifters/valves. Either case I will continue to drive it and see if it holds up. Thank goodness for warranties.

Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #47
Swifty
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Swifty,
Sorry to hear that the lifter replacement did not take care of the noise, my Jeep has the same build date as yours
but with only 3700 miles and was wondering about how many miles you had on yours when you first noticed the noise. Thanks
It was somewhere around the 4000 mile mark. Hope yours does not start making the noise.
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #48
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have been reading about this topic in other places and it is of interest since I am the proud owner of 2012 jk. With my limited knowledge have no idea if my engine has the ticking-time-bomb so I made a short video clip to solicit some opinions. MFG date says 1-12 Most interested in what you all think:

2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #49
Swifty
2012 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=dcap;13032078]I have been reading about this topic in other places and it is of interest since I am the proud owner of 2012 jk. With my limited knowledge have no idea if my engine has the ticking-time-bomb so I made a short video clip to solicit some opinions. MFG date says 1-12 Most interested in what you all think:

Yours sounds a lot quieter than mine. If the left cylinder bank and the right one sound the same I would rest easy. All the ones that tick are coming from the drivers side.
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #50
KLRJEEPER

my pos 3.6 is quiet as a mouse. thought the pentajesus cured every problem known in jeepdom the way people were talking.
KLRJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #51
Matoskah
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Does yours sound like this?
http://youtu.be/yZXEhRr-Zpw

If not then you probably shouldn't worry. Since that is mine, I'm a little worried that I there is something wrong with the engine in my $37,000 new jeep...
Sorry I said anything!
Unread 02-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #52
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
I'm glad that its over too. I just hope this fixes the underlying problem (which no one has been able to pin point). Ive heard everything from sand in the casting process got left behind to a bad batch of lifters/valves. Either case I will continue to drive it and see if it holds up. Thank goodness for warranties.
I think it's unlikely that it is a bad batch of lifters or valves, otherwise I don't see why it would always show up on #2.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #53
JDM70

Cool, glad to hear that I traded in my '09 to rid myself of adding oil to the 3.8 burner, and whistling noise in the intake to start worrying about future issues with a ticking 2012.
JDM70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #54
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Great, you all got me paranoid. Went out to check mine. Sure enough. Its light but its there. I will call the dealer on Monday and see what they say. I bought it the beginning of October so built before then. Don't know where to find the build date.
chrisjsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #55
Panhead5
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppSt59Dave View Post
Word up. Can't believe guys with NEW jeeps would rather come on here and ask some couch mechanics instead of taking it to the dealer. There are a lot of qualified guys on here but damn, let someone look at it! Taking my 12 to the dealer to do a leak test today so I will be bringing this up to the guys to have them take a gander. 4200 miles. Drive it til it blows up!
Glad you said it .On a new jeep I wouldn't even ask here .I'd be calling the dealer .

Also ,someone used the term recall .I doubt that would happen but it might fall under a special service message or TSB.
Panhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #56
6806goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM View Post
My engine seems quiet, although I have not really listened. I'm used to engine noise - anyone who has owned an LS-based motor will know what I'm talking about.
Yepper, I know what you're talking about. Isn't a lot of it caused by piston skirt slap? This does have me a bit concerned but mine is in the ordering process and I just received the VIN earlier this week. Supposedly delivering it May 3rd but I keep telling them I don't want it until the 25th of May. Doubtful I'll be there in any case since things are kinda weird in Iraq on getting around.
Guess I better think about getting a power of attorney so a friend can receive it for me.
Unread 02-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #57
Bengals1
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2012 arctic wrangler and wife has a 2012 grand cherokee. I've noticed my 3.6 does sound louder, in the wrangler
Bengals1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #58
KLRJEEPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals1
I have a 2012 arctic wrangler and wife has a 2012 grand cherokee. I've noticed my 3.6 does sound louder, in the wrangler
color is your arctic? they are sweet.
KLRJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #59
JSG1518

Mine is an early model, I only just got it so it only has 100 miles on it. I listened to it cause of this tread. It sounds loud, but seems like its the same on both sides. The sound is the same, a little ( real little) louder on driver side but there is nothing there to muffle it on that side, there is a lot more blocking the pass side. I know the dodge 5.7 v8 sounds pretty much the same. Oh what to do! Hate to have the whole motor torn apart on a new vehicle, i never trust the dealer, they always seem to scratch a fender or screw something else up
JSG1518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #60
Bengals1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRJEEPER

color is your arctic? they are sweet.
Arctic blue, two door, 6 speed manual, 430N radio
Bengals1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.