Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #31
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ya i would think you got a problem... Sounds like a desiel... Thank god for warranty.

JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #32
Fellstar
2012 JK Wrangler 

Absolutely no noise from my PentaJesus.

Though I come from subaru's, all their motors tick.
Fellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #33
Jam86
2012 JK Wrangler 

I haven't heard anything from mine, which was put together in October I believe. Although sub consciously I think I keep hearing one because of this thread
Jam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #34
i82much

I figure I've got about 4 years and 10 months or 96,000 miles before it's really my problem.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #35
Jam86
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much
I figure I've got about 4 years and 10 months or 96,000 miles before it's really my problem.
Good point
Jam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #36
Swifty
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
***UPDATE*** Dealer called and they suspect the lifters. They have ordered a "lifter kit" and will hopefully get in tomorrow to start work on it.

***UPDATE #2***

Got the Jeep back today. Lifters were replaced. Sounds pretty much the same. Slightly discouraging. I will talk to the service rep next week and pick his brain.
I think I will try out my new video cam and document it.
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #37
discordian
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine has been in the shop for this exact problem for a week. This is not an uncommon problem, though by no means 100% of the 2012s. My dealer has had this happen to 3 other jeeps before mine, and every time Chrysler just sent out a head assembly to be replace, which fixed the problem. In my case they decided to try replacing just the lifters, and as predicted it didn't solve the problem. So they shipped out a new head which should be installed on Monday.
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #38
Swifty
2012 JK Wrangler 

What a Pentastar sounds like with new lifters.

http://youtu.be/xmQwkPE_CQ0
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #39
SRM
2012 JK Wrangler 

My engine seems quiet, although I have not really listened. I'm used to engine noise - anyone who has owned an LS-based motor will know what I'm talking about.
[B]Mine[/B]: 2012 Sport S, Black, de-badged, Auto, Power/Connectivity, and damn proud of my 3:21's :)
[B]Hers[/B]: 2010 Sahara, dual top, all the goodies...

[I]No, I'm not a Mall Crawler. I've driven over a curb 2, maybe 3 times... :)[/I]

Previous: 2010 Camaro SS, 2007 WRX, 2000 Camaro Z28, and various 2nd gen f-bodies...
SRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #40
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Does yours sound like this?
http://youtu.be/yZXEhRr-Zpw

If not then you probably shouldn't worry. Since that is mine, I'm a little worried that I there is something wrong with the engine in my $37,000 new jeep...
Offcamber that sux!!!

Your pics on JU were the motivation for me to run off and buy one almost identical to yours.

Seems our Jeeps are a little too much the same.

Let me know how it works out for ya as I wish you the best as well as the rest of the 2012 crowd.

My dealer has buried their head in the sand...

May try another dealer or drive it till it drops.

Wife wants to go to Glacier Nat'l Park for vacation this year. Hmmmm... would be a damn shame if the engine blew out about Missoula MT... wonder if she'd notice a 5.7L replacement under the hood.

Probably would notice the smile on my face and the hole in the check book..

Guy's thanks for keeping us all updated.

With these damn Jeeps I feel like a moth to a candle.
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
92 CDN M101 trailer, 33" TSL Swampers,camo paint. Original camo tarp.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #41
Rivet
1968 C101 

Got a call from the dealer earlier. My Jeep is done. Its been 2 weeks. Bummer that I have to wait till my next day off to pick it up (monday).

Replaced drivers side head and stuff...
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #42
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

Rivet,,, thanks for all the detail. This is my point...

Drivers side and head and stuff.

So much info, I am swimming..... How about some specifics?

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
mattlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #43
jaydee
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
***UPDATE #2***

Got the Jeep back today. Lifters were replaced. Sounds pretty much the same. Slightly discouraging. I will talk to the service rep next week and pick his brain.
I think I will try out my new video cam and document it.
Swifty,
Sorry to hear that the lifter replacement did not take care of the noise, my Jeep has the same build date as yours
but with only 3700 miles and was wondering about how many miles you had on yours when you first noticed the noise. Thanks
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #44
Rivet
1968 C101 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlago View Post
Rivet,,, thanks for all the detail. This is my point...

Drivers side and head and stuff.

So much info, I am swimming..... How about some specifics?

Or you could look at my other posts in the 2012 check engine light thread. Which this thread should be linked to anyway...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2...51/index4.html

I feel like a broken record.
My Jeep got a new drivers side head, timing chain and cover. Drivers side exhaust manifold. Oh and new weather stripping for my water leak issue. All this after the P0302 (misfire #2 cylinder) code popped. And it was ticking away like a 80's era Mercedes diesel.
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #45
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
Or you could look at my other posts in the 2012 check engine light thread. Which this thread should be linked to anyway...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2...51/index4.html

I feel like a broken record.
My Jeep got a new drivers side head, timing chain and cover. Drivers side exhaust manifold. Oh and new weather stripping for my water leak issue. All this after the P0302 (misfire #2 cylinder) code popped. And it was ticking away like a 80's era Mercedes diesel.
Thanks for the updated info Rivet.

Also did originally link the CEL thread in post #1 on this thread.

Felt that a new thread with a different title and pulling info from multiple sources might be of use.

Truly glad your ordeal is over
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
92 CDN M101 trailer, 33" TSL Swampers,camo paint. Original camo tarp.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.