Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

For what its worth, I did a search on just the engine unrelated to Jeep as people keep saying this is a first year engine. It is not. It has been in the charger, WK and other applications for a couple of years. Newer? Yes, but not first year.

That being said, there are a lot of discussions related to the 3.6 ticking but I cant find one TSB or recall related to it. There are plenty of people saying they are taking it to the dealership but no one seems to post results. As such, it makes me wonder if they are being told this is a normal sound.

I dont have the sound at all in mine, but if I did, I would take it to the dealer, have them look at it, keep the results in writing from them for peace of mind. This is a problem that most certainly will not rear its head (more often than not) until warranty is long gone.

I had an old dodge with a 360 that would tick like crazy until the oil was changed. It would quiet down for about 4k miles and come right back until the oil was changed. Lasted this way for about 100k miles with no issues.

My jeep is 20 years newer and I wont tolerate that, so if I get this same issue, i will be documenting it and making the dealer address it. Everyone should do the same.

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
mattlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Swifty
2012 JK Wrangler 

I took my '12 into the dealership today at lunch to have them listen to my ticking, (which is exactly the same as the videos already posted). the tech. listened all over the engine with a scope and confirmed the tick. They had not had one in like this before and would only speculate what it could be. They are going to diagnose the noise over the next couple days and get back to me.

FWIW: 2012 Wrangler 2-door. 9-11 build date. 6-speed manual, just under 6k miles and has been ticking for quite a while now.
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #18
mattlago
2012 JK Wrangler 

Swifty, thats great, please let everyone know what you hear.

2012 JKU RUBI PALE TAN
mattlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine has done it since around 1000 miles. Never thought to much about it thought it was a jeep. But I have over 12,000 on it now.
The small things that you come across everyday, The norm that's overlooked until it is unseen, then when that comes you miss life, one thought, one smell, one sound can take you back home, then you realize your a thousand miles away, and then you get sick....
Greenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
offcamber

Mine has done it since day 1. I took it to the dealership they checked it out and didn't find anything wrong. I questioned it and so we went out onto the lot with a bunch of keys and started up 4 2012 JK's and every one of them sounded identical. We then started a couple of Grand Cherokees and they had the same tick as well. The conclusion was that it's normal for the Pentastar.
offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
Swifty
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
I took my '12 into the dealership today at lunch to have them listen to my ticking, (which is exactly the same as the videos already posted). the tech. listened all over the engine with a scope and confirmed the tick. They had not had one in like this before and would only speculate what it could be. They are going to diagnose the noise over the next couple days and get back to me.

FWIW: 2012 Wrangler 2-door. 9-11 build date. 6-speed manual, just under 6k miles and has been ticking for quite a while now.

***UPDATE*** Dealer called and they suspect the lifters. They have ordered a "lifter kit" and will hopefully get in tomorrow to start work on it.
Unread 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #22
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Took the Jeep to the dealer today with low expectations as to their ability to look into the issue(based on my previous dealings with them). My goal was to at the minimum have the issue documented.

So I kid you not, here is what I was told by the service advisor:

"The ticking noise is normal"

That "you hear it more as your Jeep is lifted"(I don't have any lift kit)

"These Pentastars make more noise when they're cold"

Unfortunately I dropped the Jeep off as my schedule was tight today so I could not hang around and watch them.

I politely thanked them, signed the paper work, took my copy and left.

To add insult to injury... I stopped off at the local autoparts store on the way home to pick up some parts for the TJ.

The youngster (21yr old) behind the counter had seen the JKUR pull up and asked how I liked the 4 door. Told him everything was great but having a ticking issue with the Pentastar engine.

He then proceeded to tell me that I should have it looked at as Chrysler had some problems with the drivers side head on the Pentastar. To further rub salt in an open wound he desicribed the issue in detail as he had seen this problem pop up on some of the Mopar/Dodge forums.

We'll this ain't my first rodeo and realize that a war is rarely won in the opening skirmish so I've set my sights on a loooong battle to get my Jeep fixed.

Stay tuned..........
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
92 CDN M101 trailer, 33" TSL Swampers,camo paint. Original camo tarp.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
Rivet
1968 C101 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlago View Post
For what its worth, I did a search on just the engine unrelated to Jeep as people keep saying this is a first year engine. It is not. It has been in the charger, WK and other applications for a couple of years. Newer? Yes, but not first year.

That being said, there are a lot of discussions related to the 3.6 ticking but I cant find one TSB or recall related to it. There are plenty of people saying they are taking it to the dealership but no one seems to post results.

With all your searching you did, I don't know how you missed all the threads and posts where guys have 'posted results'. There are a few of us here that have gotten/getting new drivers side head and misc. parts.
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #24
AppSt59Dave
2012 JK Wrangler 

Dropped mine off tonight to have leak test done and have them listen to the engine jic. Three techs hanging out after hours near shop door. Walked up and chatted for a few. Their response about the 3.6 potential problems...."they all click and tick...nothing to do about it except take the motor apart and clean it. There is sand in all of the motors...."

WTF!?! They build the damn things at the beach? No worries, hope it blows and I'll drop in a 4BT or 6.4 . Maybe track down my 5.9 ZJ and swap that beast over!!!

I'm sure all will work out. No matter what I've got my dream vehicle/future daddy mobile and damn happy!
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #25
AppSt59Dave
2012 JK Wrangler 

Damn phone. Already typed this **** twice. Dropped my 12 off tonight for leak test. Techs hanging out afterwards. Said all of them CLICK & TICK. Sand in the motors. Have to tear apart and clean/flush. Must have been building the motors in Myrtle Beach.

Drive it til it pukes and swap in a 4bt or 6.4.

Cheers!
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
AppSt59Dave
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mother f. Guess the first one went through. Oh well
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #27
Jam86
2012 JK Wrangler 

^^^^ Hahaha seeing this made my night
Jam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #28
Matoskah
2012 JK Wrangler 

Remember on the net you can find problems with anything you want to. Some real some not. Don't worry about your 3.6. I do NOT know everything but I am the Parts Manager at Louisiana's largest volume Chrysler Dealership and I just bought a 2012 Crush Orange two door Jk. Sold my 4.0 2000 Lifted...........TJ. I love this thing and am not worried at all!!!!!! Let's JEEP!!!!!
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #29
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

i do not think this issue will go away that easy, oh parts dealer. The net has nothing to do with it. Burnt valves and mis fire codes that end up needing a new head is A BIG issue. dont expect another bail out are you?
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #30
offcamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoskah View Post
Remember on the net you can find problems with anything you want to. Some real some not. Don't worry about your 3.6. I do NOT know everything but I am the Parts Manager at Louisiana's largest volume Chrysler Dealership and I just bought a 2012 Crush Orange two door Jk. Sold my 4.0 2000 Lifted...........TJ. I love this thing and am not worried at all!!!!!! Let's JEEP!!!!!
Does yours sound like this?
http://youtu.be/yZXEhRr-Zpw

If not then you probably shouldn't worry. Since that is mine, I'm a little worried that I there is something wrong with the engine in my $37,000 new jeep...
offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.